Water Based Moisturizers-I abandoned

Seeking8Rights

Yes, I have stopped using them completely and don't plan on using them again! I don't need to.....

Don't get me wrong, they serve their purposes and did my hair well in the beginning. However, I have found that my hair stays moisturized by doing the following:

I oil rinse with a heated mixture of wheat germ oil, amla, vatika, jojoba, olive oil, sweet almond oil.

I do this as a final rinse and I basically leave on for about 5 minutes under a heating cap. I then rinse out with a dime size amount of watered down shampoo (aveda).

My hair stays moisturized, silky and soft for 4-5 days (really, I am not exaggerating).

On the 4th or 5th day, I mist (2 sprays) my hair (a mixture of Aloe Vera Juice, ACV (I only add a drop to the 8 oz spray bottle), water, Infusium 23) and I apply Lacio Lacio (dime size or less) and then follow with oils-Amla, Vatika and Wheat Germ. I alternate my mist with Eqyss Rehydrant Spray.

Comb or brush through (I do more brushing than combing).

This evening while at the computer my husband looks over at me from watching football and says hey Indian Godess, I'm like why did you all me that? He says your hair looks like some Indian girl and its looks silky. Of course he then asked me if he could run his fingers through my hair and OF COURSE MAMMA LET HIM. :grin:

My husband comments on my hair on que, but this is the first time he did so during a football game. So, I'm all smiles and thought I would share. And I contribute such to the oil rinses and using oils when needed. AMLA oil and Wheat Germ oil as the key ingredients.

Yes, I have stopped using them completely and don't plan on using them again! I don't need to.....

Don't get me wrong, they serve their purposes and did my hair well in the beginning. However, I have found that my hair stays moisturized by doing the following:

I oil rinse with a heated mixture of wheat germ oil, amla, vatika, jojoba, olive oil, sweet almond oil.

I do this as a final rinse and I basically leave on for about 5 minutes under a heating cap. I then rinse out with a dime size amount of watered down shampoo (aveda).

My hair stays moisturized, silky and soft for 4-5 days (really, I am not exaggerating).

On the 4th or 5th day, I mist (2 sprays) my hair (a mixture of Aloe Vera Juice, ACV (I only add a drop to the 8 oz spray bottle), water, Infusium 23) and I apply Lacio Lacio (dime size or less) and then follow with oils-Amla, Vatika and Wheat Germ. I alternate my mist with Eqyss Rehydrant Spray.

Comb or brush through (I do more brushing than combing).

This evening while at the computer my husband looks over at me from watching football and says hey Indian Godess, I'm like why did you all me that? He says your hair looks like some Indian girl and its looks silky. Of course he then asked me if he could run his fingers through my hair and OF COURSE MAMMA LET HIM. :grin:

My husband comments on my hair on que, but this is the first time he did so during a football game. So, I'm all smiles and thought I would share. And I contribute such to the oil rinses and using oils when needed. AMLA oil and Wheat Germ oil as the key ingredients.
Your hair is indeed beautiful, thank you for sharing this valuable info. Where do you purchase your oils? Do use the Dubur Alma oil (I just read that it's mostly mineral oil :blush:) Or do you use pure Alma oil? I want to find wheat germ oil, I've never used it. I know that oil is the best for locking in mositure. I am now finding the key is using them as a rinse!! Thanks Sacara!! I just have to find the right combo that won't weigh my cotton fine hair down too much. I bet you don't find one broken strand in your comb either.

That was sweet of your husband to notice during the football game, your hair must have been gleaming and distracted him from the TV ! LOL

I have done the same, in a way.

I cannot get away from my water based leave-in, but I have not been using a water based moisturizer on my hair after that. Just oil - nice quality ones that can penetrate the hair.

My hair has been doing very well since then. My hair is not dry at all - just the opposite actually.

I think this is the way to go for me - but I just can't stop my water based leave-in cream.

Hey Keclee23, I love hearing successful hair stories. Your hair looks great in the photo so I can just imagine how it looks in person, especially if it took your DH away from his football game.:grin:

I'm looking forward to the day when I find what completely works for my hair.

Your hair is indeed beautiful, thank you for sharing this valuable info. Where do you purchase your oils? Do use the Dubur Alma oil (I just read that it's mostly mineral oil :blush:) Or do you use pure Alma oil? I want to find wheat germ oil, I've never used it. I know that oil is the best for locking in mositure. I am now finding the key is using them as a rinse!! Thanks Sacara!! I just have to find the right combo that won't weigh my cotton fine hair down too much. I bet you don't find one broken strand in your comb either.

That was sweet of your husband to notice during the football game, your hair must have been gleaming and distracted him from the TV ! LOL

Thank you, I said the same about the game I was like. :blush: I thought he as hinting to something that he wanted....but he said of course not, I'm sick with a cold. :lachen:

My Dabur (Dark Green oil) oil comes direct from India (it takes about a month and a half to get) and it is pure Amla oil, there is no mineral oil in it or listed on the label. Wheat Germ is a really good oil (packed with vitamin e). I ordered mine from Vitamin Shoppe online. My Vatika oil comes from the same supplier in India and all the other oils I get from Bourgeois Bargains.

Yes, I don't find not one broken strand from my hair which is why I like to brush instead of comb--only gain and no loss.

Hey Keclee23, I love hearing successful hair stories. Your hair looks great in the photo so I can just imagine how it looks in person, especially if it took your DH away from his football game.:grin:

I'm looking forward to the day when I find what completely works for my hair.

I hear ya Jet. I have been doing my hair since July of 2005 and believe me I have tried my fair share of products. I'm at the point now where I know what products my hair likes and I don't plan on trying anymore products, but it took time, trial and error to get to this point.

I have done the same, in a way.

I cannot get away from my water based leave-in, but I have not been using a water based moisturizer on my hair after that. Just oil - nice quality ones that can penetrate the hair.

My hair has been doing very well since then. My hair is not dry at all - just the opposite actually.

I think this is the way to go for me - but I just can't stop my water based leave-in cream.

Yeah me too, I love Lacio Lacio and will never leave it. Using the oils makes one wonder if other cultures like Indians, brazilians use water based moisturizers, which I think they rely most on oils. :yep:

:nicethread:Thank you so much for the info. I've been trying to tailor the "oil rinsing" to me and your post made it all come together for me. The oils that penetrate, sound like a plan!
I have found that my hair loves being spritzed with distilled water and sealed with oil. Like Honeydew , I can't let go of the water based leave in for setting. I am also hoping this will "buffer" against the effects of the keratin(hardness) in the silicon mix leave in that I am going to be using for the ceramides.

:nicethread:Thank you so much for the info. I've been trying to tailor the "oil rinsing" to me and your post made it all come together for me. The oils that penetrate, sound like a plan!
I have found that my hair loves being spritzed with distilled water and sealed with oil. Like Honeydew , I can't let go of the water based leave in for setting. I am also hoping this will "buffer" against the effects of the keratin(hardness) in the silicon mix leave in that I am going to be using for the ceramides.

Another very very good recommendation for ceramides is the Biolage Cera Repair Hydratherapie. I have been using this stuff since Dec of 2005 and this stuff is the best pure ceramides treatments ever.

Another very very good recommendation for ceramides is the Biolage Cera Repair Hydratherapie. I have been using this stuff since Dec of 2005 and this stuff is the best pure ceramides treatments ever.

Do you use the Pro4 formula or the at home treatment formula, one seems a bit stronger than the other.

Thanks again for the great tips!

Do you use the Pro4 formula or the at home treatment formula, one seems a bit stronger than the other.

Thanks again for the great tips!

The Pro4 formula is a more concentrated form of the hydratherapie. I used the Pro4 for almost a year, as I used 1 vial ever 8 weeks or so. Then once I completed the entire box of 10 vials, then I began using the home treatment formula which I use biweekly. The Pro4 is really to kit start the treatment and is concentrated to provide rapid repair and results, then you should move on to the home treatments.

You can get the Pro4 kits (10 vials) on ebay for under $20 or so, whereas if you buy from a salon (if they even sell it to customers) you will pay like $40. My Italian stylist charged me $37.50 for the Pro4 kit and then I just started buying the home treatments on ebay in bulk, like 6 boxes (each box has 5 treatments) of .50ml tubes for $36.00.

Thanks again for the info. I have been eyeing that!

Back