Watching Dr. Oz ..."Natural" Doesn't Really Mean "Natural"

westNDNbeauty

Watching Dr. Oz's episode of Dangerous Beauty Products and he says that products marked "Natural" or "Organic" are not necessarily that. These products are NOT regulated and manufacturers can label these products based on their "intent". Some of us are paying big dollars for the "intent" of a product.

Anyone else watching??

Not watching it...but have heard that before (about the natural, organic, and the like)

Yeah, that's a pretty known thing. There only has to be a certain amount of ingredients for something to be labeled organic. And there are different rules about what can be called natural versus organic etc. It's the same with calling something fat free or calorie free. Products can be called that even if they contain calories if the caloric count is under a certain percentage. You know how there are lots of products that are saying that they are trans-fat free. That's not true. As long as it's under a certain amount, they have the right to label it trans-fat free. Lots of articles on the web about this if anyone misses the show.

Yeah, that's a pretty known thing. There only has to be a certain amount of ingredients for something to be labeled organic. And there are different rules about what can be called natural versus organic etc. It's the same with calling something fat free or calorie free. Products can be called that even if they contain calories if the caloric count is under a certain percentage. You know how there are lots of products that are saying that they are trans-fat free. That's not true. As long as it's under a certain amount, they have the right to label it trans-fat free. Lots of articles on the web about this if anyone misses the show.

Actually I'm speaking about it in terms of hair products that we pay crazy amounts of money for when its ingredients are trivial.

In terms of food, unless I grew and picked it myself, I don't really consider it natural.

I a1QTPie summed it up nicely...
The amount I spend is based on performance and not on product labeling (natural, organic, cruelty free). I can generally pick out the synthetics in most of these products and/or look them up.

Yup, These companies bank on the fact the average consumer doesnt know this information and in fact most dont. There are so many "natural" hair products on the market that truly aren't natural.

In the US cosmetics companies are not regulated by the government thus why they can put anyting in a bottle/jar and sell it.

I think it's important to buy from companys you trust and believe to be credible. One organic conditioner I buy states what percentage it is organic eg. 97% organic, I guess I choose to believe.

He has a great point though, I wish I could watch the show.

Back