Wasn't There a Thread about Deep Conditioners?

Cayenne0622

I've been trying to find the thread where people listed good deep conditioners. I've only used Elasta QP DPR11 and Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Butter Cholesterol. I want to try something else, something really good. Maybe I'll discovered that my hair wasn't getting as deep conditioned as I thought.

My two favorites are Altena's Hemp Hydrate and Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin. Both are really rich and moisturizing. I add about a teaspoon of warm honey and a teaspoon of a natural oil to the conditioner before I put it on my hair.

I guess I never know which kind is really a deep cond, a moist or protein deep cond ? Anyway, I use keracare humecto because it helps with tangles and softens....I'm also trying out silicon mix, it on the right side of my head as i type, thanks to Ms Jlove :kiss: ..I have keracare on the other side..I'll tell you which does better once I'm done

Cayenne, I've used Lustrasilk Mango+Shea cholesterol too, but I think I've totally fallen for Motions Moisture Plus. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and my hair seems to absoultely love it. Bonus: it's cheap, too! I tried a sample of Silicon Mix, and that's very good as well. I may invest in a tub of that once I use up some of my other products.

If you're looking for something with more protein, I'd recommend the ORS Replenishing Paks, Aubrey Organics GPB, Mane N Tail, or Africa's Best/ORS Hair Mayo. I usually alternate between moisturizing DC and a more protein-rich DC, depending on how my hair feels. My hair responds very well to protein.

Yeah, there was one - I think I may have started it.... I'll see if I can dig it up. ETA: Here is the thread I started.... http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=114248 and here's another one.... more recent about a specific conditioner - I haven't tried this one at all yet. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=118802

One quick & easy trick to tell a DC from a regular conditioner? Read the directions! :lachen: If it says that you can leave it on for 5-10-15 minutes under a plastic cap/with heat for 'severely damaged hair' (or something like that) it's a deep conditioner. If they tell you to work it in & rinse it right back out - it's a regular one.

I've picked up some Elasta QP Intense Fortifiying Moisturizing Conditioner - it acts as a deep conditioner, and my hair LOVED it.

Last edited:
I pretty much use mostly any of my conditioners as a deep conditioner. I don't have any special conditioners just for "deep" conditions.

I've been using and LOVING Queen Helene Cholesterol with Ginseng. It makes my hair sooooo soft and moisturized. I can't say enough about it. I'll never use another dc.

camellia said:
My two favorites are Altena's Hemp Hydrate and Nexxus Phyto Organics Humectin. Both are really rich and moisturizing. I add about a teaspoon of warm honey and a teaspoon of a natural oil to the conditioner before I put it on my hair.

How much conditioner is used when you add your teaspoon of oil and warm honey?

Thanks everybody. I will take all of these under consideration. I almost bought the Motions Moisture Plus yesterday but when I read the directions it only said leave on for 5 mins. I thought deep conditioners would say at least 15 mins.

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks everybody. I will take all of these under consideration. I almost bought the Motions Moisture Plus yesterday but when I read the directions it only said leave on for 5 mins. I thought deep conditioners would say at least 15 mins.

Really?:confused: The tube I have at home says to leave it on for 10-15 minutes. I even used it after my relaxer last week, with great success.

ETA:Maybe you picked up the Motions Oil Moisturizer Silk Protein Conditioner. That says to leave it on for 5 minutes. The Motions (After-Shampoo) Moisture Plus Conditioner is the one that I use. I haven't tried the Silk Protein one, but I would think it could be used as a DC too.

Last edited:
I like queen helene cholesterol for deep conditioning. You have to leave it on for 15-20 mins with heat. Its cheap too. Others I like that I use for 15-30 mins are ors replenishing pacs and silk elements cholesterol

preciousjewel76 said:
Really?:confused: The tube I have at home says to leave it on for 10-15 minutes. I even used it after my relaxer last week, with great success.

I used MMP after I relaxed the back half of my hair to protect it while I was doing the front, and when I rinsed :eek: . I think it is really good because it brings down the pH of your hair, keeping the neutralizing process going while you are conditioning.

My favorite deep conditioners are Aveda DR Treatment, ORS Replenish Pak, Nexxus Enphuse, Affirm 5n1 (a new find for me, really, where have you been all my life?), Roux Mendex, and Aphogee 2 Min Keratin. Almost all of these come in sample sizes, take a trip to Sally's to pick up a few and give them a spin.

Barbara said:
How much conditioner is used when you add your teaspoon of oil and warm honey?

I use about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of conditioner. Yeah, I probably use too much but I like to make sure each hair is coated.:lol:

preciousjewel76 said:

ETA:Maybe you picked up the Motions Oil Moisturizer Silk Protein Conditioner. That says to leave it on for 5 minutes. The Motions (After-Shampoo) Moisture Plus Conditioner is the one that I use. I haven't tried the Silk Protein one, but I would think it could be used as a DC too.

Oooohhh....I think you are right. I will look for the Moisture Plus. Thanks mucho!

Silicon Mix, Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Conditioner & AtOne With Nature Botanical Reconstructor are my staple deep conditioners.

Back