WASHING YOUR HAIR WITH HARD WATER?

dreamgurl

How many ladies are poo washing or c/o washing? I noticed my shower curtain, which is clear or see-thru had calcium and lime deposits on it. If I can remember correctly, those minerals in the water can actually cause hair loss. I believe I'm going to have to invest in a water purifier for my shower head before I start frequent 'poo or c/o washes at home. I've always gone to the salon to get my hair washed and never really thought about the water quality at the salon. I live in Georgia, and for what I know, the water quality is terrible, so for you ladies who live in Georgia or someplace else where the water is not very good, do you already have a water purifier for your shower head? If so, where did you get yours from and how much did it cost you. If not, you may want to jump on the bandwagon with me and get one. One more thing I noticed was a tell-tale sign concerning the poor water quality is the effect it has had on my skin, which is still suffering
cry3.gif
. I had no problems until I moved here. Overall, it's time for me to start taking better care of my skin and hair. So let me get ready for my journey!

hi neighbor
wave.gif

I too live in ATL and have invested in a shower filter, since moving here. It does make a difference when it comes to detangling my hair.
smile.gif
You can buy them from Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. They start at about $20.00 but I don't remember exactly. Then you have to buy refills every few months or so. Don't be alarmed when you first install it and black soot/water starts running out. I think that's the carbon in the filter.

i see some type of orange/brown color film on my shower curtain. Sometimes on the tub too. Are those signs of hard water? I havent had any hair or skin problems, but should I invest in a shower filter?

This is a great idea I never thought of using a water purifier in the shower but it makes a lot os sense. I have one in my kitchen sink.

One question though, is it made specifically for the shower? Because the purifier for the faucet has a lower water pressure vs the regular faucet. Which would take forever to wash your hair if the pressure is really low.
Thanks

I live in atlanta and I deal with the hard water situation my doing an ACV final rinse after EVERY 'poo or CO wash. I add the vinegar to distilled water.

I had to invest in a showr filter when I went away to school in Philly-- the water there is terrible (in comparison to NYC) for both my skin and hair. It made a huge difference too. I think if you spend a lot of money on hair products you should run and get a filter, b/c my products started to work 1000x better when I got rid of the calcium deposits. Also the hard water killed my hightlights!!!! All my permanently dyed streaks were broken off in about 6mo. b/c of that water
mad.gif

This is the filter I got and the pressure is excellent (just as strong as my normal shower head) and the filter lasted a year (b/c I lived alone at school)
http://www.solutionsforhealthyliving.com/showerfilters/SpriteHighOutput.htm
The only compalint I had (which is really minor) is that the attachment is really long/large and I'm a little tall (5'7") so my head would sometime bump the attachment while washing my hair. I could've gotten the one with the detachable head to solve this but I was being cheap at the time.

I'm in the MD area and the water here is very hard (lots of chlorine) so a few years ago we invested in filtering systems for the kitchen and shower and it makes such a difference on your hair and skin!

[ QUOTE ]
BlackButterflyz said:
I had to invest in a showr filter when I went away to school in Philly-- the water there is terrible (in comparison to NYC) for both my skin and hair. It made a huge difference too. I think if you spend a lot of money on hair products you should run and get a filter, b/c my products started to work 1000x better when I got rid of the calcium deposits. Also the hard water killed my hightlights!!!! All my permanently dyed streaks were broken off in about 6mo. b/c of that water
mad.gif

This is the filter I got and the pressure is excellent (just as strong as my normal shower head) and the filter lasted a year (b/c I lived alone at school)
The only compalint I had (which is really minor) is that the attachment is really long/large and I'm a little tall (5'7") so my head would sometime bump the attachment while washing my hair. I could've gotten the one with the detachable head to solve this but I was being cheap at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link, I'm moving next week so I have to see what kind of shower head I'm getting. Then I will definately invest in this.

My husband bought one for me a few years ago, from Lowe's or Home Depot. It worked well as far as making my hair and skin extremely soft, which he and I really loved, but I experienced the same thing Mskibibi was talking about concerning the water pressure being a bit low for my taste. It did take an extra minute to get rinsed off, which, if you are always on the go, may be an issue, although the results of a showerhead purifier are marvelous, so I will invest again. I think this time, I will have to be with my husband to make sure we get one of the best they have on the market that won't inhibit the pressure of the water. I'm taking suggestions on some really good ones, so feel free.
wink.gif

One more thing, I was asked by a nutritionalist, what kind of water I was drinking, because she noticed my skin was not so flawless, and I told her, "I didn't drink water from the faucet," only bottled water, she then asked if I had a water filtration system in my home, which my response was "no", so she says, "well you're drinking water from the faucet everyday when you take a bath or shower." If the stuff I see in the shower stall is coming from the water itself, then I definately need to have cleaner water, because I don't like the feeling I'm washing and rinsing with water that will cause film and buildup on my skin and hair. No wonder why I can never seem to get clean pores and my hair used to grow faster as well before I moved here.

[ QUOTE ]
BlackButterflyz said:
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Great Topic! The shower filter has been on my "to get" list for the longest time. I was trying to hold out to find a good deal...and now I finally came across one. Thanks for the link!

Back