Washing braids

troi21

Hi ladies
I mentioned that I got braids a couple weeks ago. They are small, human hair braids that I had done by a professional (ie expensive). The hairdresser said that I shouldn't wash my hair at all, only apply braid spray. I am two weeks into it and I feel disgusting. My hair needs to be washed. I was considering using creme of nature shampoo in alot of water and gently just rubbing my scalp, then rinsing gently with water and blotting the hair with a super absorbent towel.

Does that sound like it might work? I really do not want to unravel the braids or make them too frizzy considering all the money (and time!) I spent getting them in.

TIA

troi21,

I'm currently wearing my hair in individul braids with human hair, and I used to never wash them until I found out about this website... Now, I wash my hair weekly with cream of nature shampoo and I condition with Pantene (for dry/damaged hair). I stopped perming my hair after I got the braids done (last Nov.), so about 70% of my hair is natural. I have noticed that my real hair poofs out which starts making the braids look raggedy, yet I am able to rebraid them before they get to that point, and I have been rebraiding my hair for the entire year. I will be transitioning out of braids in 4 weeks because I reached my goal(bra strap)by having my hair braided. Overall, I feel that washing my hair while it is braided helped in achieving my hair goal as well as maintaining a healthy scalp - I paid the price by constantly having to keep them looking good. In other words, you have a choice to make - healthy hair or good-looking braids (unless anyone else has ideas on how to achieve both).

wow andreamaria, I've been wanting to stop relaxing while I use braids to grow my hair too. How many inches has your hair grown since november? Well I guesse you wont know til you relax again. BTW, Do you use ACV rinses to lay down the cuticle of the hair while in braids? Maybe that will help with your hair poofing through the braids. I know Adrienne sprayed s-curl on her ends while in braids and that helped too. Anyway I'm glad you've had such success bc I'm gonna be trying the crown and glory method.

troi,

section your hair and plait the sections into large, loose plaits. Secure the ends with black rubber bands and then proceed to wash. This method helps keep braids in tact.

Also, apply your leave-in conditioner/moisturizer to your hair and tie your silk scarf on your head. Allow your hair to dry atleast half way. Your braids should be alright afterwards.

AndreMaria - very impressive. I can only go 3 months before I get tired of my braids. I usually braid for 3 months, remove and keep my hair out for about a month and then rebraid for another 3 months. I 've been doing this for a year now and my hair has grown a lot.

you should try and learn how to do them yourself, that way you can maintain any lose braids that may occur from washing. My hair has almost exclusively been braided for years, minus a few months here and there. I do them myself, and wahs my hair whenever I feel like it, normally once a week, but sometimes I go to a club and the next day, the smoke smell (I don't smoke) makes me want to gag! I have to wash it with something yummy smelling.
My hair grows very nicely in a braids, I have been to bra strap before, without doing a proper press- no relaxing here for 5-6-7 years- so there was a bit of a poof, but still to my strap. When not in braids, my hair is colored blonde, and I use a Kentucky Maid iron (the kind with the little oven) and my hair gets loooong and soft. Even better now with the stuff I learned from this board!

It is nothing wrong with doing what you stated. I think it is a good idea. When I was in braids over the summer I co washed my hair everyday. Once I removed the braids my hair was so soft and moisturized.

Right now I have braids and when I get the itches I use Seabreeze and moist a towel and dab through my scalp

Otherwise I just use the dry shampoo for braids..

That helps alot.

Back