Wash, Set, & ... (insert your next step here)

Ms. Plain Jane

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you?

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.)

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve?

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair?

Me- I'm a relaxed 4a(?- I need to revisit those classifications), and my hair is layered (I'm growing them out), with a bang. I use the purple magnetic rollers to rollerset, I now use the orange magnetic rollers (in my avatar) for my bangs. After a wash and set, I usually wrap my hair. During the week, I wear my hair down. However, for the most part it's fluffy and bouncy as all get out. (This isn't a bad thing, but I want to try something new.) During the week, if it's too fluffy, I wrap it at night vs. rolling it. If it's not fluffy enough, I roll it vs. wrapping it.

I am also relaxed 4a. I don't own a blow frier and I use rollers/flexi rods exclusively (and protective styling). I used to have a problem with my rollersets being fluffly (took me over a year to perfect my technique). Then I discovered something so simple on the boards.

I found out that my hair has to be soaking, soaking wet, as if I just dipped it in a bowl of water, for my sets to come out smooth and really straight. Then fluffliness isn't even an issue. My hair has a special smoothness when it is soaking wet, and I'm able to lock that in with rollers. All I use is Silicon Mix leave-in on my wet hair.

When I was about 7-8 weeks post, I did this with a rollerset, it was so cute that I didn't even blow out the roots or comb the curls, I just left it as was (pulled at the new growth so you couldn't see the parts at my scalp), took out the roller and let the hair hang and do it's own thing.

With a normal rollerset, all I do is flat iron the roots and my hair is very straight.

And it's all due to mucho water.

To maintain my look, I wrap and just switch sides every night, that keeps my hair guessing and the style always looks fresh. I never wear a set past three days cuz my scalp and hair likes to be washed/co-washed twice a week.

HTH

Last edited:
I am also relaxed 4a. I don't own a blow frier and I use rollers/flexi rods exclusively (and protective styling). I used to have a problem with my rollersets being fluffly (took me over a year to perfect my technique). Then I discovered something so simple on the boards.

I found out that my hair has to be soaking, soaking wet, as if I just dipped it in a bowl of water, for my sets to come out smooth and really straight. Then fluffliness isn't even an issue. My hair has a special smoothness when it is soaking wet, and I'm able to lock that in with rollers. All I use is Silicon Mix leave-in on my wet hair.

When I was about 7-8 weeks post, I did this with a rollerset, it was so cute that I didn't even blow out the roots or comb the curls, I just left it as was (pulled at the new growth so you couldn't see the parts at my scalp), took out the roller and let the hair hang and do it's own thing.

With a normal rollerset, all I do is flat iron the roots and my hair is very straight.

And it's all due to mucho water.

To maintain my look, I wrap and just switch sides every night, that keeps my hair guessing and the style always looks fresh. I never wear a set past three days cuz my scalp and hair likes to be washed/co-washed twice a week.

HTH

Thanks for your response!

When I said my hair was fluffy, I meant fluffy as in full, not frizzy, lol. Sometimes the fullness gets on my nerves. :look:

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you?

I have relaxed 4A/B, past shoulder length hair.

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.)

If I want to keep my curls, I just fingercomb after setting. If I want a straight look, I wrap my hair and sit under the dryer for 15 minutes before wearing it out.

See above.

I pincurl at night to maintain curls, or wrap to keep my hair straight.

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you? Relaxes, shoulder length...I should probably say more texlaxed now that I am using a mild relaxer

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.) I leave it curly. I finger comb and let my curls fall into pretty waves

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? I like my hair too look natural, not too "in place", I like the casual "I just woke up with these waves" look

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? I cross wrap loosely to maintain some of the wave. By the time it falls completly, its time to wash again

1. What's your current length? I am relaxed 4a/b

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? Wrap or blow the roots then wrap

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? Fullness and bounce

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? Wrap at night

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you? I think I'm almost hip-length, natural 3b/c

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.) I do the silk wrap method (wrap, cover with saran wrap and sit back under the dryer for 15 min.)

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? Silky straight but with a lot of body and fullness. Also some big curls on the ends are nice.

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? I do three different things (yes I'm weird)....for the first two days I'll wrap it the regular way, then I'll cross wrap it for a few days, then put my hair in a ponytail with two magnetic rollers and baggy the ponytail (this method I got from a member here who's name is escaping me, sorry), the baggy and roller method really freshens up my set.

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you? I think I'm almost hip-length, natural 3b/c

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.) I do the silk wrap method (wrap, cover with saran wrap and sit back under the dryer for 15 min.)

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? Silky straight but with a lot of body and fullness. Also some big curls on the ends are nice.

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? I do three different things (yes I'm weird)....for the first two days I'll wrap it the regular way, then I'll cross wrap it for a few days, then put my hair in a ponytail with two magnetic rollers and baggy the ponytail (this method I got from a member here who's name is escaping me, sorry), the baggy and roller method really freshens up my set.

Doesn't # 2 prevent # 3 from happening?

1. What's your current length? relaxed 4a/b

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair?
rollerset
then flat iron roots
then wrap hair in saran wrap & sit under heated conditioning cap

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? straight hair w/ straight roots

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? wrap/crosswrap/or put hair in 2 pigtails while baggying. whichever i do i just make sure i'm wearing my satin scarf/do-rag/or bonnet

• What's your current length? JT APL, Relaxed, 4a/b
  • After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? I apply JC N&S to my hair and NG, finger comb, and loosely bun, then I lay down my edges with Ojon styling cream and Redken (cant think of the name) and tie the edges down with a scarf.
3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? Smooth edges and smooth sleek hair with a bend at the end so I can wear a loose bun and side bangs for the rest of the week.
4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? Moisturize and seal and finger comb hair nightly, pin curl my side bang and loose bun the remainder of my hair, tie down with a satin scarf.In the morning I take the bun down lightly run jojoba oil through my hair with my fingers and re-bun, take down the pin curl and lightly run jojoba oil through it as well.

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you? Shoulder, relaxed and 4-something

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.) Wrap

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? Smooth tresses with body

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? Wrap and tie with satin scarf and cover with satin bonnet

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you? APL, texlaxed w/about 2 inches of bone straight ends, 3c/4a
2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.) remove curlers, shake and go!
3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? soft, bouncy hair that has "swang"
4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? put on a triangle hair net and then satin scarf

1. What's your current length? Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you? Headed towards BSL. Relaxed. 4b, coarse hair.

If I have a fresh relaxer, I apply head dress or moisturizer, and then do a silk wrap afterwards. Or sometimes I comb out, tie down with a scarf, and that is sufficient.

With a lot of NG, I have recently started blowdrying and flatironing roots.

3. After you do the above, what look are you hoping to achieve? I like my hair to look thick no matter what. And I love a bounce and straighter roots.

4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? Wrap hair in silk scarf to bed. Sometimes I scoop hair into a light ponytail, and wrap the ends with a large magnetic roller or wrap ends with one large flexirod.

I am planning on purchasing those silk wrapped rollers, to wear to bed, when I seek a more curlier look the following day.

I am collar bone length, relaxed 4b coarse.

I wash twice a week. The first time, I do a roller set and then wrap. When I have a lot of NG, I flatiron the roots. The second time, I do the scarf method and roll the ends of my hair, then pin up the back of my hair.

I aim for straight roots and a nice bounce with a roller set. And a nice sleek pin up style with the scarf method.

With a roller set, I wrap my hair and tied down with a silk scarf. With the scarf method set, I just tied down with a silk scarf and baggy me ends.

1. What's your current length? 13 weeks ago it was armpit length but since I have been wearing synthetic braids I don't know what it is now. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, natural, etc? Which hair type are you? was natural for almost 3 years did 1st perm nov. 2007

2. After a wash and set, how do you style your hair? (E.g., wrap, blow the roots then wrap, blow the roots and comb into a desired style, simply comb out, a combination of things, etc.) Wash, add grease to the hair and scalp and also some t-tree oil, roller set sit under the hooded blow dryer (vintage...my mom hood dryer from when she was in high school) afterwards I blow the roots out just to get rid of the bumps from the rollers. Thanks to macherie...I then do the saran wrap thing. If I'm going out I roll my ends up and pin it so it looks like a bob and I let it down if I need to impress people at work or etc. otherwise I keep it pinned up.

healthy even ends and maintain thickness
4. What do you do to maintain this look until the next time you wash your hair? wrapping each night, keeping the ends protected and not pulling my edges too tight, greasing every few days

Back