Wash and Deep condition DISASTER help!!

Sunnrayy

Hey Ladies,

I have been on the "keep it simple" bandwagon for awhile now and for the first time was starting to see results. I have naturally fine hair but after stretching relaxers to 3mths and deep conditioning every week my hair has thickened up and turned around.

Last night It was time to wash my hair so I got all my products together. Here is what I did:

Pre-poo: Kera care humecto and hawaiian silky 14 n 1

Wash: Kera care moisturizing shampoo

Deep Condition: Kera care humecto and a small amount of aphogee 2 min reconstructor (10 min under hooded dryer)

Color: I washed out the conditioner and applied a black rinse. (15 min under dryer)

Rinsed: rinsed out the color

Rollerset: rollerset my hair and went under dryer

Result: Crunchy dry hair:perplexed

So, I am wondering what I did wrong. It was the first time I have used the Hawaiian silky?? Could that have been the culprit or was it the Aphogee?? I have used the aphogee many times before and did not have this kind of result? I'm pretty sure I moisturized enough??? Also, with applying rinses should I deep condition after the rinse or before? That has been something I have wondered for awhile.

I am also soooo tired of applying rinses. I looove my hair jet black and also clip in pieces to my own from time to time and my natural hair has to match so I keep it black. But putting in rinses each wash has become so time consuming and tiring.

Any solutions or advice is greatly appreciated Ladies:yep:

Last edited:
Hey Ladies,

I have been on the "keep it simple" bandwagon for awhile now and for the first time was starting to see results. I have naturally fine hair but after stretching relaxers to 3mths and deep conditioning every week my hair has thickened up and turned around.

Last night It was time to wash my hair so I got all my products together. Here is what I did:

Deep Condition: Kera care humecto and a small amount of aphogee 2 min reconstructor (10 min under hooded dryer)

Color: I washed out the conditioner and applied a black rinse. (15 min under dryer)

So, I am wondering what I did wrong. It was the first time I have used the Hawaiian silky?? Could that have been the culprit or was it the Aphogee?? I have used the aphogee many times before and did not have this kind of result? I'm pretty sure I moisturized enough??? Also, with applying rinses should I deep condition after the rinse or before? That has been something I have wondered for awhile.

I am also soooo tired of applying rinses. I looove my hair jet black and also clip in pieces to my own from time to time and my natural hair has to match so I keep it black. But putting in rinses each wash has become so time consuming and tiring.

Culprits are: #1 the bolded and you did not condition after the black rinse.

...yea sometimes rinses can do that to my hair too. it doesn't happen all the time. but once in a blue moon. conditioning (deep)...before or after the rinse can help

and yes gurl...i know EXACTLY how u feel about loving that black color...but not wanting to use a rinse every time. its exhausting!

Which Aphogee did you use? Most fine hair cannot tolerate the hardcore, only MAYBE, the 2 min. I love jet black hair too. Dyes and rinses are a :nono: for me. No matter what, it makes my hair brittle. When I stopped trying to do any color of any sort and live w/ my dark brown, I have a lot less setbacks and more growth. I'll give up the black for length and health. Just my :twocents:

Hey Ladies,

Hi Friend,

You should deep Condition AFTER the rinse so you can return the moisture balance and have some "slip" as rinses can be very drying.

What type of rinse are you using - many rinses that I have used advise conditioning after rinsing...

Hey Ladies,

Girl I did the same thing the other day minus the reconstucter and the rinse and I had the same exact outcome.. I was crying buckets.. I made a thread and here is the link:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=308707&highlight=

I got some helpful advice.. So maybe you can check it out and find something that might help you..

HTH

Have you tried Henna for color? I use the clear henna, but they have a brand at WholeFoods in a vast array of colors. I know henna can be drying as well so before I use it, I deep condition and seal in the conditioner with coconut oil. I then rinse and apply the henna. I add a bit of oil (Amla, coconut oil) to the henna mix and put it on my hair. After I rinse the henna out, I apply more conditioner and oil. Leave on hair for a while and then rinse out. This works well for me.

Culprits are: #1 the bolded and you did not condition after the black rinse.

The bolded : Keracare moisturizing shampoo????:perplexed Wow! I did not know that was a bad shampoo?? has anyone else experienced this with this brand of shampoo?

Also, I forgot to mention I did condition after the rinse. I always wash the rinse one pass and then put a coat of conditoner the kera care humecto on while I wash the rest of my body and then I rinse out. However this time I didnt let it sit for much time at all.

I also believe that the rinse caused the dryness....last week I put a rinse on and my hair was so dry while washing it out that I had to put a conditioner on for a few seconds under the running water so my hair wouldn't tangle up ....then I proceeded to do a deep condition....

Hi Friend,

You should deep Condition AFTER the rinse so you can return the moisture balance and have some "slip" as rinses can be very drying.

What type of rinse are you using - many rinses that I have used advise conditioning after rinsing...

You are probably right....I have been deep conditioning before the rinse because I don't want too much of the color to come out if I deep condition after. So you I will just have to chalk it up and deep conditon after. Thanks

I use the Clairol Beauty collection black rinse.

Thanks for all the responses guys:)

Last edited:
Have you tried Henna for color? I use the clear henna, but they have a brand at WholeFoods in a vast array of colors. I know henna can be drying as well so before I use it, I deep condition and seal in the conditioner with coconut oil. I then rinse and apply the henna. I add a bit of oil (Amla, coconut oil) to the henna mix and put it on my hair. After I rinse the henna out, I apply more conditioner and oil. Leave on hair for a while and then rinse out. This works well for me.

Havent tried the henna yet a little scarrrred of the drying affect. But just from what you wrote I see I should treat the rinse no differently and deep condition after just as you would a henna treatement. Thanks

Reconstructor and rinse on same day = dry crunchy hair.

I've given myself protein overload on touch up day doing this. Next time you apply a rinse I recommend not using any protein and doing the DC after you apply your color.

Hey Ladies,

You did a number of things "wrong"

The biggest thing is that you did the rinse last. A rinse is pretty non damaging, but it throws the pH of your hair off. Some people use a little shampoo or a little neutralizing shampoo right after to help normalize the pH. Most people would still be fine with just rinsing and deep conditioning (I'm not, I would experience a little bit extra breakage and shedding after using a rinse, however it was just a slight problem and went away after a couple of days)

I would deep condition longer. At least 20 minutes. Some people do just condition for 10 mins and under, but most people do it for a little bit longer.

Keracare shampoos can be quite harsh on some people's hair. If you have been using the shampoo and it agrees with your hair, then there is no problem. If not, then maybe try a more gentle shampoo.

I doubt that a small amount of aphogee 2 min hurt your hair. Unless you are protein sensitive. The aphogee is a "medium protein" by itself. Adding a little to the humecto just gives you a small dose of protein.

That's my 2 cents. Hope I helped!

Color, whether a rinse, temporary or permanent can dry your hair. You will need to do a moisturizing deep conditioner and your hair should be fine. Try not to manipulate the hair too much or you will get some shedding.

The color was sitting on top of the protein.

The best time to apply color...particularly a rinse, is when the cuticle is open. You did a great job of conditioning, the microporosities in your hair are filled in nicely. Now here comes a coating (that is waht rinses do) of color, but it is on top of conditioner.

I'd use a great moisturizer. Joico moisture recovery balm in the tube? and the rinse should be out in less than 6 weeks anyway. don't panic.

Back