Was my relaxer bad?

DMarie

Today I am 12 wks post my last relaxer and I gave myself a touchup. I purchased a bucket of Affirm lye conditioning relaxer 12 wks ago and used it for the first time then. Since then I kept it in a plastic bag tied up with the lid on. Half way through my application I noticed that my scalp was not burning. It was as though I was painting conditioner onto my hair. I thought the chemical was not working but something told me to move faster because it could be. And to my surprise, once it was all in I went back to smooth and sure enough it was straightening my hair. In fact, I can finally say that I have the same quality of straight hair as I've become use to getting from the salon (when I use to go awhile back).

Now, I am wondering if I should try to use it again in another 12 wks? What do you think happened to my relaxer to cause it to not burn but still straighten my hair?? Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, a note to self relaxers: For all of those out there who self relax, I found it very easy to apply my relaxer because I used a mirror, I pre parted my sections and banded each section with a small piece of old knee highs. I then applied the gentle assurance and the protecto. This made it easier to apply the chemicals section by section without having to worry about parting. Less time spent parting means more time applying the chemical and smoothing.

This was my 4th chemical service since returning to a relaxer and all other times I was unsucessful with getting my hair as straight as I liked. What I did different this time to achieve getting the straightness that I wanted was to pre straight my hair. I used heat to curl my hair on friday and it left my hair straighter than normal. In the past I wasn't using heat and my hair never really got straight during my chemical service. Then I thought about why my hair always got staight when I went to the salon. And I realized that I came in with fairly straight hair before the chemical was applied because back then I was curling my hair to make it more presentable in order to get to the salon to get my hair done. So that's what I did and it worked.

DMarie

I think she is. Your scalp may be healthier, I used to burn like a mother...but now I don't and I also use Affirm, before Lye or Sensitive Scalp relaxers would bring tears to my eyes.

I doubt that it was bad. A relaxer doesn't have to burn if you are taking good care of your scalp and drinking a lot of water. If it straightened your hair then I would just say it didn't burn because you have a healthy scalp

I agree with everyone else. Best case scenario, a relaxer is not supposed to burn. Usually when it does, the scalp has been irritated in some way. It sounds like you based your scalp well, so that helped minimize the chances of burning.

Perhaps less manipulation leading up to the relaxer? My scalp only burns when I've been scratching it. :confused:

My scalp never burns while getting a relaxer. I always go by time.

Your scalp should not burn when you get a touch-up. The fact that you did not burn is a good thing. My scalp never burns when I get a relaxer.

I use Affirm lye normal, use the same sectioning method and I never get burns when I use this relaxer. It's only when I start to rinse it out, my scalp will tingle because it is getting wet.

Thanks ladies for your replies.

If you gals are right and my scalp is healthy I must be doing something right. In fact my hair is the healthiest that it's been since high school almost 12 yrs ago. Prior to this relaxer I rarely ever straightened my hair with heat and thought it wasn't getting longer but after this relaxer, well actually after friday's episode with the curling iron it was moving and swinging and bouncing and even the mexican women where I live were turning to look at my hair and many of them smiled. That made me smile cause usually I only turn the mexican men's heads cause of my body and mostly breast.

But the fact is: I have felt the relaxer working everytime I got a relaxer in the salon except for one time and during that one time the stylist did say that it's not supposed to be left on till it burns. During those times it might not have been burning but it felt like it was working cause my scalp would get warm. This time my scalp never got warm. Also, when I went to shampoo with the neutralizing shampoo I saw the tinest amount of pink in the tub. Even during rinsing it never tingled or anything. The first time I used this bucket of relaxer 12 wks ago I got about 3 burns on my scalp and this time my experience was waaaaaaay better.

Thanks all.
DMarie

Back