Warning about Megatek!!!

CurlyMoo

This is for those who are curious of using Megatek. Megatek has fish products in it, so if you are allergic please consider that you could have a negative reaction. Here is the ingredients list:

Deionized water, hydrolyzed keratin protein, stearalkonium chloride, glyceryl stearate, peg 100 stearate, marine protein, peg 40, panthenal, dimethicone copolyol, magnesium citrate, allantoin, amino acids, methylparaben, mucopoly-saccharides, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, fragrance

Marine protein is fish. Fish is a great source of protein so I understand why it's been added. A friend of mine has experienced headaches upon using this product, she says she not allergic to fish. But thought she may have been. Furthermore, some have used it and experienced dryness, and Megatek has twice the amount of protein in it which may account for this.

I found in my case is remedied through consistent daily moisturizing treatments which included NO OTHER PROTEIN PRODUCTS USED ON MY HAIR, water, VO5 (NON-PROTEIN) and sealing with castor and sweet almond oil. I also experienced some tough hair and extra thickness when taking MT and ingesting Chlorella.

Ok, my work is done. :grin:

Last edited:
I think it depends on what kind of fish allergy you have. I've used it without any problems. Thank you for sharing this information.

Question about Megatek: Since it has a lot of protein, can it be used as a protein treatment? If so how often can it be used? If not, how come it can't be used?

Question about Megatek: Since it has a lot of protein, can it be used as a protein treatment? If so how often can it be used? If not, how come it can't be used?

I have used it as a protein treatment but I stopped using as a treatment b/c I'm heavy handed and it cost too much. I now just use it as my growth aid.

I use is almost everyday, in fact I use it like a deep condtioner as well under heat.

I use it both ways...on my scalp as part of a mix AND once every other week I use it as part of my moisture/protein treatment. I apply it in this order:

1. Pre-poo using Chicoro's moisture pre-poo recipe (there is a long thread about this with the recipe in the OP post).
2. Shampoo (Sulfate-Free)
3. Roux Porosity Control
4. Megatek Protein Condish with heat for about 10-minutes
5. Joico Intense Hydrator

Those are my products order, however, it basically follows the Joico 17-minute miracle set (if you want a pre-packaged product line) and the overall idea behind Cathy Howse's program which is to condition with protein then follow with moisture.

My hair seems to really like the balance so far.

Thanks for the posting, I stopped using it because it gave me headaches. Just a dull ache, but enough to make me go hmmmm. Shortly after I was diagnosed with a fish allergy(salmon and shrimp). In hindsight it makes perfect sense! Thanks for posting OP.

Back