Wanting To Go Blonde. Any tips/suggestions

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I've never colored my hair before and I want to go blonde or an intense red. I was wondering if anyone had any product suggestions or what shade of blonde/red I should go. I have a picture of myself on my profile page.

I think you'd look good with some red, maybe try henna? Don't you have to bleach all the color out of your hair to get to blond? That seems like it would be really damaging.

My tip...DON'T DO IT!! :lachen: But seriously, I'd say Henna is the best option if you're trying for brown or red. Blonde requires strong chemicals to lift your color to that :nono: I just wouldn't want you to get a setback. IMO, I'd experiment with wearing weaves and wigs that color first, and if you still want to dye your hair after that, then go for it.

If your hair's healthy (no dryness issues) and you are ready for the upkeep, I say start with highlights. I use Schwarzkopf (for lightening dark hair) first, this gets my hair to a medium brown then I do a hard Aphogee treatment wait a week or two then use Superdrug hi-lights kit (with the cap and crotchet pin). This gives me a nice natural looking colour and it doesn't look weird growing out. I DC at least 2 hours every week and heat style (flat iron) 2ce a month.

I also BKT every 6-8 weeks and will soon be incorporating Cassia into my reggie, my hair's doing great and is very soft.

I do have wigs with blonde highlights. I'm looking for something else more permanent. I do like color and I would like to color. I'm bored with my regular color hair.

Have you ever considered doing a red semi permanent color? It's suppose to rinse out after a couple of washes (i think mines lasted a little bit over a month). I did Color Showers Rojisimo and it was HELLA HOT, imo. Just a suggestion and it won't hurt to experiment safely.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered doing a red semi permanent color? It's suppose to rinse out after a couple of washes (i think mines lasted a little bit over a month). I did Color Showers Rojisimo and it was HELLA HOT, imo. Just a suggestion and i won't hurt to experiment safely.

Yes, I've considered red. I'll check out that suggestion as well.

i would suggest that you go with henna for red highlights. My first reaction when i saw your picture in your profile was "oh my her hair is such a pretty color". wheezy's suggestion to do a semi permanent also sounds like a way to go.

have you tried doing a search to hear other people's experiences? I don't follow color threads, but i haven't heard of many naturals that have successfully gone blonde. you might be our trailblazer if you do it :yep:

I would like to do a honey blonde if there's a such thing. I don't want to do a platiunum (sp) bleach blonde for sure though. Nothing like Eve.

Thank you "Alive." I'm just so bored with my hair. I've always wanted to go light or red but not sure of how to do it.

I have spoken with a natural who has been blonde for five years. She's going to give me some advice about it. I just know that I would def have to get it done at a salon, though.

Back