Wanting to get curly braids using Sassy hair from Sally's

I plan on getting braids hopefully this month. I was told to use synthetic hair. I usually use human hair.

The only way I know to get curls (more like waves) on synthetic hair is using string and hot water. I am guessing this works with all synthetic hair, but I'm not sure as when I used to use synthetic, I had no idea there were so many kinds.

Basically after braiding to the end...and sealing however you choose. You wrap string around several braids held straight. You first wrap the base as you would to make a ponytail to fasten the string and then you wrap the length of the braid loosely...the way one of Queen_T's curlformer set spiral might wrap around the hair :lachen: Then holding the string taut, you push the braid to the base so they form a tight coil. You wrap the exposed part of the string around the top of the coil to hold it in place. Then you dip it in hot water while in that coil position and immediately squeeze out water with a towel. It can be a dangerous endeavor as it's easy for the water to drip on your scalp, neck or face. Then let it cool down or dry. When you undo, you'll have wavy braids.

I don't know if my explanation makes sense. Maybe someone has a youtube video on how to do this.

The only way I know to get curls (more like waves) on synthetic hair is using string and hot water. I am guessing this works with all synthetic hair, but I'm not sure as when I used to use synthetic, I had no idea there were so many kinds.

Basically after braiding to the end...and sealing however you choose. You wrap string around several braids held straight. You first wrap the base as you would to make a ponytail to fasten the string and then you wrap the length of the braid loosely...the way one of Queen_T's curlformer set spiral might wrap around the hair :lachen: Then holding the string taut, you push the braid to the base so they form a tight coil. You wrap the exposed part of the string around the top of the coil to hold it in place. Then you dip it in hot water while in that coil position and immediately squeeze out water with a towel. It can be a dangerous endeavor as it's easy for the water to drip on your scalp, neck or face. Then let it cool down or dry. When you undo, you'll have wavy braids.

I don't know if my explanation makes sense. Maybe someone has a youtube video on how to do this.
Wow!! Using string? Never knew this one Nonie! Thanks for that tip too.

Only way I've ever done it was using those perm rods. By placing 2-3 braids on each rod and dip them in hot water using the same method you just described.

Ladies is the curl set once you do the hot water/perm rod method? When I wash my hair weekly and deep condition, will the curl come out?

tia,
tishee

could u like do it as if u were doing a pin curl but not bring it as close to the scalp and use a bobby pin to hold it in place and then dip it in hot water... would that give u at least some type of curl just wondering

Ladies is the curl set once you do the hot water/perm rod method? When I wash my hair weekly and deep condition, will the curl come out?

tia,
tishee
When I used to wear these, the set lasted for awhile (talking like 2 weeks tops). I made the mistake of washing my braids back then and the curls fell out straight. But all that was needed for me was to re-rod the braids and re-dip into the hot water again and the curls are back again. Could only do this a few times, before the ends of the braids would start wearing out ie. looking frayed, old and etc.
could u like do it as if u were doing a pin curl but not bring it as close to the scalp and use a bobby pin to hold it in place and then dip it in hot water... would that give u at least some type of curl just wondering
IMO that's a possibility too, but in just thinking about it, I don't think I'd want to do each individual braid with a bobby pin and spend so much time trying to take ALL them pins out LOL :lachen: I'm lazy like that LOL

Yes, you might be able to get this style by using the Sassy hair and curling it.... but it would be way easier (and only a teeny bit more expensive) to use hair that is already curled up.

Check savebeauty.com's synthetic braiding section. You can find many different styles in different colors. $4.50 a bag (I use 2 bags) isn't that much, and it saves you the hassle of rolling and dipping.

Back