Wanna wash today--relaxer tomorrow...am I a plum fool???

sjones

Okay, seeing some more shedding, and with 3 kids (one 9 mo. old) I haven't done my protein treatment like I've been meaning to for the last WEEK.
I really am thinking about doing a protein treatment--leaning towards Joico Reconstructive--but my relaxer is tomorrow. Thus my conundrum: do I forget about the treatment and just base my scalp (AOHC) and hair (Chi Silk Infusion) and hope for the best? :perplexed Or do I go for the gold, do the protein and deep condition with as little scalp manipulation as is humanly possible, base myself from now til I sit in the chair tomorrow, and pray my scalp doesn't melt down to my knees:burning:
I actually looked up what I could on previous threads, and from the few I saw the general consensus for washing the day before seems to be, "Hayylll to the naw." :nono:
Wutchu think?

Listen to the threads you researched. It isn't that serious. Please wait for either the treatments or the relaxer.

These ladies have given their advice and some even their experience and posted it here for others to learn. If they say it they mean it.

A relaxer is a harsh chemical, so your hair needs to be in its best state prior to relaxing. If you feel that's not the case, you should do what is necessary to resolve whatever hair issues you're having and then relax.

What's the rush? Have a protein treatment instead tomorrow and re-assess the situation next week and see if you need more treatments or can finally get that relaxer.

Its not worth the risk.

I vote "Hayylll to the naw." :nono: I would push the relaxer back a week and deep condition with garlic added. I had some shedding maybe a week prior to my relaxer and I deep conditioned w/garlic extract added. Stopped the shedding in its tracks. Relaxed yesterday and it's all good. JMO.

I'm sure waiting another week is not going to hurt in the grand scheme of things. There's no point risking your progress.

I had co-washed the day before, but I don't do any shampoo washing or treatments to my hair. All I did was co-wash, and braid my hair up to dry. I know my hair so I can only tell you what works for me, but if you don't know your hair then I suggest you not doing anything prior to your touch-up.

I know that on DLewis's reggie she said that she washes the day before. She says that it is not for everyone, but it is something that works for her.

What's the rush? Have a protein treatment instead tomorrow and re-assess the situation next week and see if you need more treatments or can finally get that relaxer.

Its not worth the risk.
I guess it is kind of a timing issue, because I have a formal event coming up next weekend, so I wanted to relax the week before as opposed to the week of. I don't like the flatness of my hair directly after a relaxer, so I wanted to get a wash in before the event. In any case, it certainly isn't worth a serious setback. I guess I'm trying to see if there are any ladies that have done the wash the day before without burning to death!

Do the protein after you get the relaxer. You'll burn sooner and be underprocessed if you wash the day before

I would just postpone the relaxer if you really want to do the protein treatment. I wouldn't recommend doing both.

Back