Waistlength in a year by way of bunning...

janeemat said:
Thanks Kini Kakes. That's simple enough. Your regimen is sounds very close to what I've doing except I roller set my hair on Sat. Wear it down Sun and Mon. Pull in bun Tues until next wash Sat. Question? So you henna and co-wash every Thurs and then go the salon on Friday. So do they poo, deep cond, etc. What exactly do they do?

Yeah, at home i henna then condition right afterward. Airdry in bun or pinned up braid. Go to the salon the next day (hair is still damp). They poo, deep condition, then roller set. My hair is silky, THICK (from the Henna), and bouncy. I enjoy it down a day or two, then go back to bunning and repeat the cycle. I try to minimize combing and manipulation, for the most part.

janeemat said:
Babygurl I just love your hair. Do you wear a phony bun over your hair or do you just bun the hair. Are you using the baggie method? Are you bunning wet hair or dry hair. What are you doing to your hair at night?

Her hair is beautiful aint it. I'm so proud of her.

KiniKakes said:
Yeah, bunnings is DEFINITELY whats attributed to my hair getting this long. Ive never, ever retained this kind of length before in my life and, honestly, I never thought it would be possible. Bunning is definitely the TRUTH, ya'all. :D

Girl you are you tellin' I am still amazed at how long my hair has grown. My hair has NEVER even been close to where it is now... Bunning worked so well the first year I decided to go another year. Then it just became what I do most of the time.

BTW you and your hair are so pretty.....

Wildchild453 said:
what makes bunning different from any other protective style?

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Seems like people are having more/better results by bunning compared to braids/sewins.

I can't speak for all protective styles, but the two that I use most often are a bun or a French twist. With both styles the ends are protected and moisturized, not down and getting snagged on things,rubbing against clothing, ect...

I know some ladies here have had success with their hair while wearing braids (with added hair) or weaves, but honestly, in real life everyone I know who wears braids or full weaves with any sort of frequency has damaged broken and dry looking hair.:perplexed

I've never worn braids or weaves but I believe the reason we who bun retain so much length is because we can take out hair down and moisturize it as often as necessary. I can only imagine moisturizing, washing, ect... would be much harder with braids that you couldn't undo or hair sewn on top of your own. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable veterans will come along and elaborate.

Almost every woman I know with really long hair has a very simple routine for caring for it. They all wear buns or one or two braids as an every day style.

Last edited:
camellia said:
I can't speak for all protective styles, but the two that I use most often are a bun or a French twist. With both styles the ends are protected and moisturized, not down and getting snagged on things,rubbing against clothing, ect...

I know some ladies here have had success with their hair while wearing braids (with added hair) or weaves, but honestly, in real life everyone I know who wears braids or full weaves with any sort of frequency has damaged broken and dry looking hair.:perplexed

I've never worn braids or weaves but I believe the reason we who bun retain so much length is because we can take out hair down and moisturize it as often as necessary. I can only imagine moisturizing, washing, ect... would be much harder with braids that you couldn't undo or hair sewn on top of your own. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable veterans will come along and elaborate.

Almost every woman I know with really long hair has a very simple routine for caring for it. They all wear buns or one or two braids as an every day style.

It's all in how you care for the protective style. Braids, sew-ins, buns, they all do well for me. I favor sew-ins though because of their versatility (length, color, texture, style). I mainly do buns in the summer after condition washing. I generally am able to wash and moisturise on the regular and maintain wonderful growth. Another thing that I like about sew-in is that I can really put to use my MTG. I actually plan on having sew in-in mostly this year. I need to play catch up on a goal and this will help me alot. I should be back on target about February. I am currently wear a sew-in.

I agree with camellia because I wore sew-ins for 3 1/2 yrs and went from one inch hair to BSL in that time, but I feel that had I wore the weave for maybe only a year of that time, and bunned the rest of that time, that I would be WL by now. Yes, it grew my hair, but when taking the cornrows out it seems no matter HOW GENTLE i was, my hair'd break on the ends:mad:

janeemat said:
Babygurl I just love your hair. Do you wear a phony bun over your hair or do you just bun the hair. Are you using the baggie method? Are you bunning wet hair or dry hair. What are you doing to your hair at night?

Ty girlie...I wore a phoney bun or bun cover when I was just getting started but once my bun was a decent size I wore my own bun (and still do). I also started using the baggie method for days at a time, now I rarely do it unless I notice my ends are dryer than usual. I wear buns 95% of the time so I just cover my bun with my bonnet or scarf at night, wake up in the morning and GO!

Last edited:
camellia said:

ITA with Camellia. Back in the day when I didn't really pay much attection to my hair, I wore braids for about 3 years. When I came out of them, my hair really wasn't really strong enough to withstand relaxing again, and I ended up losing length and thickness soon after. But you live and learn. :ohwell:

BTW Camellia I got my hairpins from Tenderhead.com today and I absolutely love them!! They are the best pins I have ever used. At this rate, I'll be following your lead and working buns and French twists like mad. :grin:

Priestess said:
ITA with Camellia. Back in the day when I didn't really pay much attection to my hair, I wore braids for about 3 years. When I came out of them, my hair really wasn't really strong enough to withstand relaxing again, and I ended up losing length and thickness soon after. But you live and learn. :ohwell:

BTW Camellia I got my hairpins from Tenderhead.com today and I absolutely love them!! They are the best pins I have ever used. At this rate, I'll be following your lead and working buns and French twists like mad. :grin:
hi there, i cant find the site you mentioned?

Okay, I know that I said I was going to try to be cute in front of my SO's family next week in Maryland, but forget that! I'm just going to have to find some super cute hair accessories and bun it up! I just put it in a bun like two seconds ago!

I have worn phony ponies for a while, I do not see dramatic growth. Now that may be b/c I have been really lazy (inconsistent w/vitamins, inconsistent w/MTG-alternative w/my silk scarf falling off my head many nights). I usually brush my hair back & slap a phony pony on my hair & only straighten my hair 1x every 1-2 months. I moisturize daily w/Mane & tail conditioner and homemade shea/mango oil w/other herbs. I alternate deep conditioning w/henna every other week. Perhaps it the inconsistency in other habits that slowing hair growth rate down, but bunning alone hasn't worked for me.

Priestess said:

Puddles thanks for posting Adrienne's Baggie Method. I can see a couple of spots where I can refine my bunning technique for better success, such as the World of Curls Activator and IC Clear gel mixture, and the "baggie" method, as well as cutting off the combs on the phony pony to prevent breakage. Thanks a million!

Puddles said:

KiniKakes said:
Yeah, bunnings is DEFINITELY whats attributed to my hair getting this long. Ive never, ever retained this kind of length before in my life and, honestly, I never thought it would be possible. Bunning is definitely the TRUTH, ya'all. :D

your hair progress is impressive - congratulations!!!!!!!! i love it! -- i had the same new years eve hat in vegas...:)

CynamonKis said:
Puddles thanks for posting Adrienne's Baggie Method. I can see a couple of spots where I can refine my bunning technique for better success, such as the World of Curls Activator and IC Clear gel mixture, and the "baggie" method, as well as cutting off the combs on the phony pony to prevent breakage. Thanks a million!

[SIZE=+1]You're very welcome. :)
Her method has helped me retain tons of length.
[/SIZE]

Bunning is working for me too. After I cowash or regular wash, I put some leave in conditioner and olive oil creme on the ends and bun it up. I get excited when my bun gets fatter cause I know my hair is growing thicker and longer. :grin:

Wow.. this is very inspiring! How do I find out about exactly how to do this? I'm just afraid that bunning with a ponytail holder will break my hair off. And how do I hide the ends and still have a bun? Will someone please give me adyvice? TIA

Do you guys think bunning works best for relaxed heads? For me it seems easier for relaxed hair to go in the pony tail and bun. I'm just wondering if its too much manipulation for naturals. When I press my hair, the buns are effortless, vs. much more brushing etc. when natural. I would love to try this, but I don't want too much mani.

I love this thread also b/c its so inspirational. This is the thread the got me from SL to APL and now on my way to BSL and next MBL :grin:. I printed a few copies and keep them in my bag to read and get inspiration :yep:. Bunning has definitely got me farther than I ever thought it would, buns are the only protective styles that I wear.

I have to say that BUNNING has helped me and my hair ALOT! I have been bunning now for about 7 months and it has allowed me to reach APL before the end of 2008.

Just by seeing this improvement in my hair growth with bunning, i plan to cont to bun until i reach MBL.

hhg ladies!

This thread is really making me want to bun again. I used to bun back in the day, but that is when I didn't know how to take care of my hair. I need to start doing it again.

Wow.. this is very inspiring! How do I find out about exactly how to do this? I'm just afraid that bunning with a ponytail holder will break my hair off. And how do I hide the ends and still have a bun? Will someone please give me adyvice? TIA

I was wondering the same thing. I once was pulling my wet hair through the ponytail holder and I could hear my hair ripping. When you bun, is it your own hair or a clip on/pin on bun? Do you wait until your hair is dry and then bun, or bun while it is still wet? Details appreciated.:yep:

I was wondering the same thing. I once was pulling my wet hair through the ponytail holder and I could hear my hair ripping. When you bun, is it your own hair or a clip on/pin on bun? Do you wait until your hair is dry and then bun, or bun while it is still wet? Details appreciated.:yep:
i bun while the hair is wet but the bun is very loose. i put a scarf around the front of my hair so the edges will lay down. but my favorite ps is while the hair is wet i will pull it back in one braid and then pin it up with a bobby pin or a duck clip. for me this way is easier because i dont have to worry about if the bun is too tight or not.

Back