Waist Length Crossroads (LONG)

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I know that some Naturals can be a bit radical and downright abrasive when discussing the long term effects of relaxers. Yet I recently realized something however, that has me re-evaluating the effect that relaxers have truly had on my hair.

My first relaxer was somewhere in the avenue of 1985. I was a little girl with so much hair that I could sit on it and I was extremely tender headed. My mother became so frustrated that she literally did a "mommie dearest" on me. Then my grandmother stepped in and put Vigarol smelly stuff in. When that wasn't around, I'd be trapped practically strapped down to a seat as she put so much pressing oil on my hair that when the comb touched it, the hot oil would sometimes drizzle down my neck. One summer I got sent to relatives in Baltimore, and my older cousin who was then in cosmetology school gave me my first full-on relaxer. I think I was 8.

My last relaxer was in May of 2001. Since then, I have been trimming away and learning more about my specific needs for my hair. I've always had long hair and used to be quite regular at hair salons. My hair grows rather quickly, but I've come to a harsh reality. After more than 4 years of transitioning, a good portion of my ends are still relaxed. I'd like to say about half of my hair: from the middle down to the very ends.

Now like I said, my hair grows rather quickly, but when I was relaxing, I had the same general brastrap length for years. Currently, my hair is longer now than it has been in a while - waistlength.

In trying to perfect my twist-outs, I now notice 3 different hair types in my head. Relaxed ends, type 3ish middle and type 4ish roots. In the same order, I notice very shiny, shiny, little shine. Humm. The twists also take the shape of mini tornados (very thick to thin).

This may sound crazy but I really believe that the perm changed my scalp, thus changed my hair texture and after 4 years, I'm just beginning to see my true hair type again. Yall don't hear me....after 4 years!!! But eventhough I have hair to spare, I still don't want to chop because long hair feels soo good! I've had it all my life but now I feel better about it than I have in a long time. Long, coarse hair is a great feeling - can't lie.

Maybe I'll chop off a little, but I'm definitely not chopping further than a little below brastrap. Am I wrong in thinking that relaxers were buried (for lack of a better word) in my scalp which is why it took so long for me to see this new texture?

Good theory. Good job! I think i'll buy it even though i'm not totally convinced because there are numerous factors that could be contributed to a change in hair type. But good theory....i likey! (but i still aint giving up my relaxer) :grin:

I've heard of relaxers having this effect, especially when having relaxed for many many years. :yep: It's kinda scary! :ohwell: Transitioning for 4 years is amazing! What styles have you worn during your transition?

You sound right, It took me about five to completely grow my perms/relaxers out with small trims. And also it was a few years of growing out changes of texture before my original texture returned. No my hair is like it was when I was small before hot combs and then relaxing started. They say the chemicals back up down into the scalp leaving a slight residue below the skin line effecting the hair before emerging through the scalp.

Makes sense Browndilocks! I'm glad your true texture is finally shining through. That's why it's so important that new naturals be patient. Sometimes they bc and are shocked only to relax again too soon when it takes awhile to see their true texture. I've only been natural for 4 months and during that short period I've seen lots of changes--waves to coils, dry/brittle to soft, etc. Congrats too on having achieved waist length hair. Enjoy!

OFF TOPIC:
Jainygirl, you and your husband in your siggy are so cute! Love the pic.:love:

Carlie said:
I've heard of relaxers having this effect, especially when having relaxed for many many years. :yep: It's kinda scary! :ohwell: Transitioning for 4 years is amazing! What styles have you worn during your transition?

Transitioning was rather easy since I'm in low-humidity los angeles. After a wash, I'd rollerset my hair in huge rollers, sit under the dryer, press the roots and wrap my hair. I trim regularly too. Then I'd usually wear a bun or a pony tail with the ends tucked in.

Scab hair? ewwww - such a harsh word!

Back