Vitale - strong or not?

peacelove

OK, ladies. I have read just about all the Vitale threads in this forum and I am a bit confused. For some the life and body seems to be mild for a regular perm. For others it seems to be a strong perm. What is the overall consensus? I have decided to ditch my Affirm this time around and try something else. But I don't want anything too strong. My old co-worker used this perm with her Dominican hairdresser and her hair was full of body. But because my hair is fine, I don't want to go too strong. I love the aloe aspect of the Life and Body, though.

peacelove said:
OK, ladies. I have read just about all the Vitale threads in this forum and I am a bit confused. For some the life and body seems to be mild for a regular perm. For others it seems to be a strong perm. What is the overall consensus? I have decided to ditch my Affirm this time around and try something else. But I don't want anything too strong. My old co-worker used this perm with her Dominican hairdresser and her hair was full of body. But because my hair is fine, I don't want to go too strong. I love the aloe aspect of the Life and Body, though.

I think it is an excellent relaxer. You will not be disappointed. Try the regular for fine or medium hair. My mother's hair is fine, mine is medium and we both use the regular. She relaxes and I texturize.

HTH.

I definitely think it's for fine/medium hair. I relaxed my hair with this just about 3 hours ago and I was left SEVERELY underproccesed. It looks like I lightly texurized my hair. However, it is great in that it didn't burn AT ALL. And this is after I combed thru newgrowth AND scratched my scalp while basing it. I like that I did have body and it was not drying at all. Overall, I think I will be sticking to this though... I just need to leave it in a while longer. I rinsed out the relaxer about 10 minuted earlier than I usually do with revlon... so maybe it wasn't the relaxer that is too mild. I dunno, it oculd have also been due to the mtg as well. Unfortunately, I have to relax again in 2 days because I refuse to have underprocessed hair to deal with the way I did with affirm because I'm paying for it BIG TIME now.:( :mad:

Anyway, I am not going to give his a negative review for me as of yet. Next time I relax in a few months I will leave it in longer the way I usually do to see how it turns out. Since I like everything else about this relaxer, I'm pretty sure it will be fine next time around.

secretdiamond said:
I definitely think it's for fine/medium hair. I relaxed my hair with this just about 3 hours ago and I was left SEVERELY underproccesed. It looks like I lightly texurized my hair. However, it is great in that it didn't burn AT ALL. And this is after I combed thru newgrowth AND scratched my scalp while basing it. I like that I did have body and it was not drying at all. Overall, I think I will be sticking to this though... I just need to leave it in a while longer. I rinsed out the relaxer about 10 minuted earlier than I usually do with revlon... so maybe it wasn't the relaxer that is too mild. I dunno, it oculd have also been due to the mtg as well. Unfortunately, I have to relax again in 2 days because I refuse to have underprocessed hair to deal with the way I did with affirm because I'm paying for it BIG TIME now.:( :mad:

Anyway, I am not going to give his a negative review for me as of yet. Next time I relax in a few months I will leave it in longer the way I usually do to see how it turns out. Since I like everything else about this relaxer, I'm pretty sure it will be fine next time around.

You know they do have a stronger formula. It has red writing instead of blue. That might help you to achieve the results you want for next time.

Ditto for me. I really like it the product. For your hair though you may have to go with the regular-Life & Body. My hair is very coarse and thick, so I had to go with the stronger one. I think the regular should do just fine for you. I liked the idea of having a lye relaxer with absolutely no burning (that is just for me- other may contest to that). HTH
BAILEYSCREAM said:
I think it is an excellent relaxer. You will not be disappointed. Try the regular for fine or medium hair. My mother's hair is fine, mine is medium and we both use the regular. She relaxes and I texturize.

HTH.

At first, I used the Life and Body of my thick and coarse hair, but Ihad to change due to the same results that you got. My hair reall had a good laugh at that relaxer :lachen: . Then I tried the one for coarse hair and it was just right. HTH. BTW. The one that I used was Vitale Concorde Fast Action Relaxer with Aloe Vera in a tan container with a brown /bronze looking top. It says for super/coarse textures.

BAILEYSCREAM said:
You know they do have a stronger formula. It has red writing instead of blue. That might help you to achieve the results you want for next time.

I didn't want to bother starting a new thread for this, but I just wanted to update everyone that I did my first at home touch up in about 10 years with Vitale Life & Body and I am very pleased! My sister did it and I was so nervous about under or overprocessing. But we left it in just long enough to straighten the new growth without getting rid of all my texture. This perm straightened me well without burning, and I still have some curl pattern which makes me happy because my hair is fine and I need to keep a little body to it.

My only concern with Vitale is that it was hard to rinse! It felt like I had pure grease in the roots of my hair. It actually was not a horrible thing, because it kept my hair soft, but I was concerned about my hair holding on to the relaxer so I rinsed the dickens out of it. Then I used the conditioning step 2. (similar to Affirm's 5 in 1). Then I neutralized 3 times. My hair came out really nice. So for me it looks like Vitale is a keeper!

I am happy because now I can save money relaxing at home and I will only go to the salon for Dominican roller sets. The rest I can do myself!

peacelove said:
I didn't want to bother starting a new thread for this, but I just wanted to update everyone that I did my first at home touch up in about 10 years with Vitale Life & Body and I am very pleased! My sister did it and I was so nervous about under or overprocessing. But we left it in just long enough to straighten the new growth without getting rid of all my texture. This perm straightened me well without burning, and I still have some curl pattern which makes me happy because my hair is fine and I need to keep a little body to it.

My only concern with Vitale is that it was hard to rinse! It felt like I had pure grease in the roots of my hair. It actually was not a horrible thing, because it kept my hair soft, but I was concerned about my hair holding on to the relaxer so I rinsed the dickens out of it. Then I used the conditioning step 2. (similar to Affirm's 5 in 1). Then I neutralized 3 times. My hair came out really nice. So for me it looks like Vitale is a keeper!

I am happy because now I can save money relaxing at home and I will only go to the salon for Dominican roller sets. The rest I can do myself!

I'm glad you had a good experience. :) I was also pleased with Vitale Life & Body with Aloe Vera for the exact same reasons (it did not burn and I still have some curl pattern). I used the formula that lists the Aloe Vera as the second ingredient. It is definitely a keeper!

Back