Vintage Hair Care Posts prior Sept 30, 2005

I have read about people in South America who used "quinine" in their hair produts for generations and there it is referred to as Cinchona Bark or China Bark. I am going to do a search on this. Bonjour

My jamaican family are all relaxed with midback-waistlength hair. my cousin bobby who is 8, has luvly thick black hair. she gets a retouch every 3-4 months, she has her hair washed every 2-3 weeks and only has her scalp and hair oiled once in those 2 weeks. She has a fabulous diet full of fish, chicken and rice (fresh animals, they live on a farm) and ALWAYS has her hair in 2 strand twists or plaits. she never combs her hair, and if her scalp itches, her aunty adds more oil. the heat and the oil combined must really help make her hair grow, i think she uses dax or blue magic. oil on the skin is obviousely going to attract more heat, so i guess grease on the scalp is not bad if yoiur hair sectioned and your in the sun alot. he rhair hardly breaks (probs due to lack of manipulation) but now shes starting to play with it herself so it gets dry more often. ii think she uses the cheapest shampoo and conditioner there is, they are not well of financially, so they use the brand PURELENE, which has a wide range of stuff for the hair. the ingredients are great, has anybody heard of this brand? they make a black hair oil called "black hair grower" and lots of other stuff. i didn't buy :mad:

okay. found my quinine. now I am good to go. Has anyone used this in a hair product? I know Leanna's Hair Products uses it if I remember correctly. bonjour

Mahalialee4 said:
okay. found my quinine. now I am good to go. Has anyone used this in a hair product? I know Leanna's Hair Products uses it if I remember correctly. bonjour

:eek: did you say QUININE?! as in quinine sulphate? its in my la india wonder hair cream...oooooooooh! what is this stuff????

Quinine is also in Leanna's Hair Dressing if I remember correctly. I think that letting the good stuff marinate in the hair and on the scalp may benefit some people. bonjour

Blump! This is a very interesting thread, I am researching those older authentic customs & techniques for some help w/my 4b natural hair!

Note, the first post in this thread is confusing b/c it is a continuation from another thread. Just keep reading down on further posts for a wealth of information on various hair history practices:yep:

Last edited:
As a child we always had to steam our hair with castor oil that mommy got from the produce market and always from someone she knew boiled the oil without salt (she said it made the hair dry) And you think the castor oil we have now is stinky ?!?! that oil was super stinky, smoky and thick like molasses.

and when we went to our paternal grandparents (decendants of indentured servants) my grand aunt always oiled our scalp and hair with coconut oil that she boiled herself. She also kept rainwater in a drum outside to wash hair and sometimes to bathe with.

also remember getting my scalp scrubbed with a grainy oily thing ... and after reading that thread about sugar scrubs, Im thinking it probably was a sugar or sand scrub

As a child we always had to steam our hair with castor oil that mommy got from the produce market and always from someone she knew boiled the oil without salt (she said it made the hair dry) And you think the castor oil we have now is stinky ?!?! that oil was super stinky, smoky and thick like molasses.

and when we went to our paternal grandparents (decendants of indentured servants) my grand aunt always oiled our scalp and hair with coconut oil that she boiled herself. She also kept rainwater in a drum outside to wash hair and sometimes to bathe with.

also remember getting my scalp scrubbed with a grainy oily thing ... and after reading that thread about sugar scrubs, Im thinking it probably was a sugar or sand scrub

Castor oil has been doing the "thing" for centuries! And, Well I knew there was something to that brown sugar scrub--I just read that too!

Bumping. This is a fantastic thread - for low porosity ladies, check out the Ethiopian hair secrets using Ghee. Really works.

Back