Very long time lurker, new time poster. Hello ladies!! :)

didismirage4

Hello to all you wonderful ladies :D
I'd really like your advice on this distressing situation

This is my hair album:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017039&l=f9377&id=18700346

It's always been pretty long (nearing waist length at it's longest) and it grows about 2 - 2 1/2 inches every 12 weeks well... I'm pretty on point (with years of research) with healthy hair care. And I'm constantly learning from this site!

I had a surgery in Oct 06 and about half of my hair fell out. So my hair was long and stringy because it had lots of missing pieces from the scalp. I cut it to my chin in January 2007. It's 2008 now and it still hasn't returned to it's former thickness, but I don't have much problem with it growing. This is incredibly depressing because my ponytail (as my friend put it) is pathetic compared to what it used to be. She said since it fell out, it just won't grow back.

I read that when your hair falls out for a external reason (such as the surgery, or childbirth), you should not put chemicals on it (relaxers or perms) for a few months while your hair grows back in. Then not to put chemicals for a few more months while it catches itself and has some new growth.

I try to relax every 12 or so weeks (last time I stretched to 14) but I'm afraid I've been frying the little newgrowth I get from the hair that fell out. Should I just put braids in for about 6 months to a year??

Thank you all in advance! Happy and healthy growing :D

Hi there:wave:...well u didnt seem to need us too much!!:grin:...Hair looks great!:yep:...but anyways welcome to the forum.

Hey and Welcome.

Sorry I don't have any expert advice to offer but if it were me, I probably would hold off on the relaxres for a while for the reason you mentioned.

:welcome:
ur hair looks great, but if you think the relaxers are messing with your hair maybe you should change to a milder relaxer or have you considered going natural until you get your hair back to the desired thickness? But your hair looks gorgeous!!

Heyy!! :wave:

and welcome to LHCF.

I can't offer much advice, because I'm not familiar with braids for growth, however I'm sure someone will be able to chime in with some nuggets of hair advice!!

Your hair looks really great to me!!! Happy growing! :)

Hey girl welcome ! I'm a newbie too but I did find out from this forum that boundless tresses can help you with the part of hair that is not growing. There is a lot of reviews from women that I read that explain how detrimental their hair was and after they use bt it help them out a lot. I just order mine. I'm not an hair expert or anything so maybe someone else with more knowledge can give you more advice.btw Your hair is beautiful!

Last edited:
Hi DiDi,

This happened to me a few years ago (although my hairloss was due to menopausal changes). Braids are a good way to give your hair a break from the chemicals. Because your hair is more fragile now, make sure that the braids are not too tight or too small. If you get extensions, use human hair or the softer yaki hair. Some of the chemicals in the synthetic hair can damage your natural hair.

I also recommend Phytorelaxer. It is very gentle, and is the only relaxer that doesn't weaken my fragile hair.

If you rest from the chemicals and use the pratices of this forum, I'm sure you'll be back to waist length in no time! :grin:

God bless.

This is my hair album:

It's always been pretty long (nearing waist length at it's longest) and it grows about 2 - 2 1/2 inches every 12 weeks well... I'm pretty on point (with years of research) with healthy hair care. And I'm constantly learning from this site!

I had a surgery in Oct 06 and about half of my hair fell out. So my hair was long and stringy because it had lots of missing pieces from the scalp. I cut it to my chin in January 2007. It's 2008 now and it still hasn't returned to it's former thickness, but I don't have much problem with it growing. This is incredibly depressing because my ponytail (as my friend put it) is pathetic compared to what it used to be. She said since it fell out, it just won't grow back.

I read that when your hair falls out for a external reason (such as the surgery, or childbirth), you should not put chemicals on it (relaxers or perms) for a few months while your hair grows back in. Then not to put chemicals for a few more months while it catches itself and has some new growth.

I try to relax every 12 or so weeks (last time I stretched to 14) but I'm afraid I've been frying the little newgrowth I get from the hair that fell out. Should I just put braids in for about 6 months to a year??

Welcome to the forum. Your hair is beautiful! I can't offer advice but I'm sure some of the othrs here can help. Good luck.

Welcome to LHCF, didismirage4.

Like some other posters have suggested, I would recommend going natural. You could try getting your hair pressed until your scalp recovers.

Welcome!! Your hair is beautiful. With some TLC and probably giving it a break from relaxers, I'm sure you'll gain your thickness back. It really is beautiful right now, though.

Thank you all for your greetings, comments, and advice :drunk:, everyone here is so kind and supportive!

Does anyone know any braiders in Miami that understand not to braid too tight??

I don't want to go completely natural just as yet, I don't mind giving my hair a break from relaxers (as I only relax 4 times a year) but I will end up relaxing in the long run. I have been thinking about growing dreads in the future and they are VERY popular in Miami amongst both men and women. In Trinidad and Tobago (where I'm originally from) they are popular as well.

I do think that stopping the relaxers will be beneficial as what white women continue perms after their hair has fallen out? (Due to external factors) They stop and wait. Everytime I run this by anyone, including my stylist, they say there's no reason to stop relaxing. I just can't find the logic in it, and of course relaxing 2 years after my surgery and subsequent hair fallout proved me right! There's just no way the new growth from the fallen hair has time to catch itself if it keeps getting relaxed.:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

My only fear is that I've damaged the follicles from my continuous relaxing and they won't come back :sad: as one of my friends thinks.

This is my hair album:

Beautiful hair and welcome! :)

I've never tried braids so I don't have an answer there. Perhaps not using any heat (or no direct heat) will be helpful to your hair. :yep:

Back