very curious

jaded_faerie

I am very curious as to why you cant get your hair washed 3 days before a relaxer??? Should I hold off on a relaxer?? I forgot all about getting my hair relaxed today and washed yesterday.....:eek:
advice please...Im suppose to be going to a formal tonight, and needed my hair done.
TIA

I know my scalp burned when I received a touch up 5 days after it was washed. Now, I wait 7 days.

I've washed 3 days before relaxer, without a problem. Maybe they think you are more prone to chemical burns, since some people scrub the scalp when washing. Just a thought, maybe the dirt or product buildup will help protect your scalp. Like I said, I have not had a problem, anyway I use that day to realllly detangle.

It depends on your hair and scalp. I've washed the day before to get rid of build up and then relaxed with no problems, but I was also careful not to heavily scrub or scratch my scalp. Then I have also relaxed a week or so after a wash and had irritation and burns. You have to know how your scalp responds.

As long as there is 1-2 days between the time you wash and the time you relax, you should be fine. This is because the relaxer may penetrate your scalp more causing it to burn and be irritated. You're messing with chemicals here. Imagine using relaxer on a moisten scalp. :eek:

I always wash 3 days before (ok somethimes 4 days before) that's when I do my Nexxus Emergencee treatment. I dont scrub my scalp either so that may be why I don't get burning.

The reason why you are not supposed to shampoo your hair prior to a relaxer is when you shampoo your hair you agitate/manipulate the scalp. Doing this then applying a chemical relaxer can cause serious inflamation & discomfort. Imagine scratching your scalp & then applying a relaxer. Ouch:eek:!!! I would give it 3 days.

don't do it gurl.... I washed 3 days before, the last relaxer i got. and it burned like I was in hell. :p i was trying to be gentle with my scalp, but i guess i wasn't gentle enough. also, not only are you agitating your scalp, but you are washing away the oils that is on your hair, which can lead to your hair being fragile and breakage, if you get your hair relaxed in this type of state....

If you do decide to wash your hair or if you've already washed, then just have your stylist base your scalp real good with some grease (petroleum jelly) that should cut down on the burning.

depends on how your scalp is. if it produces sebum quickly,then you might be able to get away with that. the reason it will burn is because the natural oils of the scalp are gone, and it needs that for protection.

I've done this before. I forgot that I was scheduled for a relaxer and when I told my beautician that I'd washed my hair the day before her eyes almost popped out of her head. I have a very sensitive scalp. Woo,burn baby burn!!:eek:

mahoganee said:
I've done this before. I forgot that I was scheduled for a relaxer and when I told my beautician that I'd washed my hair the day before her eyes almost popped out of her head. I have a very sensitive scalp. Woo,burn baby burn!!:eek:

HAHAHA!

Thanks yah, i ended up relaxing and it didnt burn at all. She did base it really well though. It was my first time going to a dominican salon and my first time using Affirm :) and it came out perfectly....i loved the outcome....and i was so shocked at how much my own hair had grown :eek:

Jade, last month when I relaxed I washed my hair on a Tuesday and relaxed on a Thursday. On the day I relaxed it didn't burn or anything. I guess it just depends on the person. I can't wait to see your pics girl!

Back