VENTVENTVENTVENTVENT: the cliff notes are in bold

bellezanegra826

Ok so I decided to try a dominican salon that I heard about on roundbrushhair.com. Everyone on the review site said they had such a positive experience with this person and that she was capable of working on all types of african-american hair texture. The only negative thing that was said was that she takes a long time to do rollerset. My hair is relaxed, so I felt that she would definitely be able to work with my hair. I had an appointment for 11:30am but when I arrived, I had to wait until after 12:00-12:20 for her to take me. When I got there she was rolling someone's hair and I know it took her atleast 20 minutes to do it. When she finally got to me, she had her assistant wash my hair instead of her, which is fine b/c a lot of salons do that. Well the assistant was washing my hair like she had never washed hair before and had to rinse it four times b/c she was only putting shampoo on my hair one section at a time. Originally, the rollerset and blowdry were supposed to cost $35 but the hairdresser said I needed a deep conditioning and that was going to be $10 more. I felt that was reasonable and agreed to the new charges. I was place under a dryer for awhile and then had to wait an additional 30 minutes for her to finish doing another person hair.

I was finally called in to get my hair rollerset and that is when the drama really began. She proceeds to detangle my hair with a fine tooth comb instead of a wider comb, so my hair was breaking a little bit. This is when she tells me that I have good hair but its really damaged and she needs to give me some deep layers, which would be $25 more. At this point, I'm starting to recognize a trend with this woman, as time goes by, my hair gets more and more damaged and is going to need more services for her to get me in the right direction. Then she starts to get angry and tells me that I am natural and have only about 3 inches of permed hair. In the real world, not the alternate universe in which this fool resides,I am relaxed and have about a 3/4-1 inch of new growth. So then this @*#*$*#* tells me that I should have told her I was natural b/c she has certain days that she does natural hair b/c it takes up more time and I wasn't respecting her time or the time of her other customers. Then she tells me that she is usually really fast with rollersets and can do a set in less than 10 minutes. Really?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Umm first of all, my hair is still relaxed at this point, I'm still not natural and I'm trying to figure out how my hair was making her roll EVERYONE'S hair in no less than 30 minutes. In regards to respect for time, why was I made to wait 30 minutes to get my hair washed if she has so much respect for time? She then tells me I need to get a texturizer b/c it is less damaging for the hair. So just for laughs, I ask her how much this is going to cost. She tells me that she needs to measure my hair and since I have about 4 inches of natural hair she would have to charge me for texurizing 4 inches of natural hair. At this point I remind her once again I AM NOT NATURAL, I HAVE A FREAKIN' PERM! Even if I had 4 inches of hair that looked like it was natural, the fact that it has been permed means that you cannot put any chemical you want to on it b/c it is going to react like permed hair. I asked the board before about mixing texturizers and relaxers and was told that those are two different processes and that would result in my hair breaking off if the two were overlapped. So fast forward about 2.5 hours to the point that she is finally taking out my rollers and blow drying my hair. She tells me that I really really need a cut b/c for some reason my hair that already has bluntly cut ends is really really damaged. Which means she really really needs to give me that $25 hair cut at this point. She then directs my attention to her bleach blonde bushy hair and tells me that even though her hair isn't long, its healthy b/c its all one length. I wasn't going to say anything about her hair but since she brought my attention to it, there is no way that a head of hair that resembles a bleached brillo pad can be healthy. Her hair wasn't exactly the picture of health, but I didn't say anything b/c I didn't want to let all of my emotions boil over and get me to the point that I would need to set up a website to raise money for my bail. So anyways she tells me that she's not putting out a good service meaning that if other people see my hair they aren't going to want to get their hair done from her b/c it looks so bad. (Mind you its silky and straight and I have gotten several compliments on it. I made sure I didn't let anyone know who did this to my hair though...you know since it looked so bad) When she finally finishes, she tells me that since she had to do so much work to my hair, the cost for her services would be $55. The services I received were a wash n set and blow dry. Not a perm, not an infusion of magic dust, a wash and freakin' set! So then she tells me that I need to set up an appointment for my texturizer, that she still hasn't given me a price for. I ask her again for a price, which she says with out looking at me $150! At this point, words of wisdom from the articulate soulja boy pop into my head...

her: so when are you going to come back for your $150 texturizer?
me: ya trick ya
her: and don't forget I need to cut like three to four inches off of your hair
me: ya trick ya.
her: and i feel that its fine for me to put texturizer over your hair that has already been relaxed b/c texturizers are gentle and your hair was under processed so I can pretend that it was never processed at all.
me: a boogalama boogalama
her: I'll see you in two weeks
me: yaya trick. get out my face. get out my face!!!!!!!!

so was it just me or was this a bad trip the the hairdresser? should i go back and get that $150 texturizer? hehe I'm open to your comments so if you think i'm wrong....please please show me the error of my ways!

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Girl you got me dying over here!!! Please put out a PSA warning on roundbrush.com about your experience. She was speaking too much nonsense!

Ok so I decided to try a dominican salon that I heard about on roundbrushhair.com. Everyone on the review site said they had such a positive experience with this person and that she was capable of working on all types of african-american hair texture. The only negative thing that was said was that she takes a long time to do rollerset. My hair is relaxed, so I felt that she would definitely be able to work with my hair. I had an appointment for 11:30am but when I arrived, I had to wait until after 12:00-12:20 for her to take me. When I got there she was rolling someone's hair and I know it took her atleast 20 minutes to do it. When she finally got to me, she had her assistant wash my hair instead of her, which is fine b/c a lot of salons do that. Well the assistant was washing my hair like she had never washed hair before and had to rinse it four times b/c she was only putting shampoo on my hair one section at a time. Originally, the rollerset and blowdry were supposed to cost $35 but the hairdresser said I needed a deep conditioning and that was going to be $10 more. I felt that was reasonable and agreed to the new charges. I was place under a dryer for awhile and then had to wait an additional 30 minutes for her to finish doing another person hair.

I was finally called in to get my hair rollerset and that is when the drama really began. She proceeds to detangle my hair with a fine tooth comb instead of a wider comb, so my hair was breaking a little bit. This is when she tells me that I have good hair but its really damaged and she needs to give me some deep layers, which would be $25 more. At this point, I'm starting to recognize a trend with this woman, as time goes by, my hair gets more and more damaged and is going to need more services for her to get me in the right direction. Then she starts to get angry and tells me that I am natural and have only about 3 inches of permed hair. In the real world, not the alternate universe in which this fool resides,I am relaxed and have about a 3/4-1 inch of new growth. So then this @*#*$*#* tells me that I should have told her I was natural b/c she has certain days that she does natural hair b/c it takes up more time and I wasn't respecting her time or the time of her other customers. Then she tells me that she is usually really fast with rollersets and can do a set in less than 10 minutes. Really?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Umm first of all, my hair is still relaxed at this point, I'm still not natural and I'm trying to figure out how my hair was making her roll EVERYONE'S hair in no less than 30 minutes. In regards to respect for time, why was I made to wait 30 minutes to get my hair washed if she has so much respect for time? She then tells me I need to get a texturizer b/c it is less damaging for the hair. So just for laughs, I ask her how much this is going to cost. She tells me that she needs to measure my hair and since I have about 4 inches of natural hair she would have to charge me for texurizing 4 inches of natural hair. At this point I remind her once again I AM NOT NATURAL, I HAVE A FREAKIN' PERM! Even if I had 4 inches of hair that looked like it was natural, the fact that it has been permed means that you cannot put any chemical you want to on it b/c it is going to react like permed hair. I asked the board before about mixing texturizers and relaxers and was told that those are two different processes and that would result in my hair breaking off if the two were overlapped. So fast forward about 2.5 hours to the point that she is finally taking out my rollers and blow drying my hair. She tells me that I really really need a cut b/c for some reason my hair that already has bluntly cut ends is really really damaged. Which means she really really needs to give me that $25 hair cut at this point. She then directs my attention to her bleach blonde bushy hair and tells me that even though her hair isn't long, its healthy b/c its all one length. I wasn't going to say anything about her hair but since she brought my attention to it, there is no way that a head of hair that resembles a bleached brillo pad can be healthy. Her hair wasn't exactly the picture of health, but I didn't say anything b/c I didn't want to let all of my emotions boil over and get me to the point that I would need to set up a website to raise money for my bail. So anyways she tells me that she's not putting out a good service meaning that if other people see my hair they aren't going to want to get their hair done from her b/c it looks so bad. (Mind you its silky and straight and I have gotten several compliments on it. I made sure I didn't let anyone know who did this to my hair though...you know since it looked so bad) When she finally finishes, she tells me that since she had to do so much work to my hair, the cost for her services would be $55. The services I received were a wash n set and blow dry. Not a perm, not an infusion of magic dust, a wash and freakin' set! So then she tells me that I need to set up an appointment for my texturizer, that she still hasn't given me a price for. I ask her again for a price, which she says with out looking at me $150! At this point, words of wisdom from the articulate soulja boy pop into my head...

her: and i feel that its fine for me to put texturizer over your hair that has already been relaxed b/c texturizers are gentle and your hair was under processed so I can pretend that it was never processed at all.

so was it just me or was this a bad trip the the hairdresser? should i go back and get that $150 texturizer? hehe I'm open to your comments so if you think i'm wrong....please please show me the error of my ways!

Whatever you do, dont go back to that hairdresser! she gave you all the signs you need to see that you shouldn't go back. If she was going to put a texturizer over your relaxed hair, thats a good sign you dont need to set foot back in that salon. Im pretty sure she's not going to care if she messes your hair up either. Dont trust her to do another thing with your hair or it will just cause you to have a set back. plus who would pay anything, $150 at that to get their hair ruined? Please dont go back:sad:

wow that is like the worst salon experience i have ever heard of in my life!
im speechless.. u bette r not go back there

Whatever you do, dont go back to that hairdresser! she gave you all the signs you need to see that you shouldn't go back. If she was going to put a texturizer over your relaxed hair, thats a good sign you dont need to set foot back in that salon. Im pretty sure she's not going to care if she messes your hair up either. Dont trust her to do another thing with your hair or it will just cause you to have a set back. plus who would pay anything, $150 at that to get their hair ruined? Please dont go back:sad:

girl i wasn't planning to go back, don't worry. i was just trying to be funny b/c after everything she had said and done to me, it seemed like she honestly expected me to go back to her and pay her some more money to be mistreated.

im completely speechless.......................
except to say this is why i would never go to some know it all hair dresser. they usually dont know more than me.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: u better not enter that woman's shop again and i hate this having to cut thing what the hell is wrong with these hairdressers

I think this is just a sign that I need to go back to being a DIYer. I never have to wait for other customers or pay crazy prices for my services.

Your in NC right, where is this salon?

Yeah, Ya Trick Ya!!! :lol: Ain't no way she would be getting any of my time and money no mo.

Your in NC right, where is this salon?

Yeah, Ya Trick Ya!!! :lol: Ain't no way she would be getting any of my time and money no mo.

its in durham on rolling pines avenue. i don't think this salon has an actual name, but its the only salon that poped up when i typed in 27514 for the zipcode.

:lachen::lachen:Someone needs to hire you and give you your own column somwhere because (as Kat Williams so eloquently put it) that ish rite there Ni**a! You had me rolling!!

On a serious note. That happened to me too. I went to a Dominican lady and she tried to sneak in all kinds of charges, no shame!!! I larned the trick from my good friend who does not take BS from anyone, just tell em NO! I'm having what we already discussed beforehand. It really helps, you just have to establish from the get go that you are not having any BS.

:perplexed Girrrrrrrl, stay out of those salons. I wouldn't let that nitwit brush an eyebrow! :nono: Those people know less than you do. It sounds like you need to interview these people before you let them touch your hair. I used to go to Egyptian salons, here in Chicago. They got you in and out very quickly. But I was just another number to them. I realized that they knew very little about our hair. Other than the fact that they just assume that we all want relaxed straight hair. When I asked for a texurizer to lossen the curl, that fool fully relaxed my head. :sad: I haven't been back since and that was in 2005. I am now natural and will not step foot into another salon unless it's for a foot message. And I might interview them do do that too!:yep:

I probably would have left right at the point where she wanted to detangle your hair with that small tooth comb.

This is another reason I do my own hair.

Sorry you had to deal with the madness.

I probably would have left right at the point where she wanted to detangle your hair with that small tooth comb.

This is another reason I do my own hair.

Sorry you had to deal with the madness.

yea looking back on this situation, i realize that i need to accept some responsibility for putting up with entirely too much foolishness. instead of looking at this woman sideways, i should have asked the fool that looks at me in the mirror everyday why in the &#&# did i stay there the entire time and pay that woman at all. i need to work on my BS resistance tactics instead of expecting BS hairstylists not to sell me BS hair services. i mean its not like this is the first time that i've had a bad experience with a stylist, yet i keep going back to them. someone said to me that the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, so the fact that i keep going back to stylists who know nothing about how to deal with my hair (not that all stylist are incompetent b/c many of them are) means that i definitely fit the definition of crazy.

bellezanegra826 i'm so sorry ths happened to you. you know when folks Know the are dead wrong, instead of trying to admit and correct the situation the rectify it by pointing the finger to the consumer rather than themselves. DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT WOMAN! I will have to get Madea and we all know she will act a fool! That itch had her nerve to want to charge 150 for 4" of hair...hmm, let's see! That does not add up in my or any other's book. That itch would have gotten the taste slap'd out her mouth for that shish she she pulled. Everything you'd had pointed out is right on point, but in that itch's mind she was thinking you weren't up on ya game....lil did she know:grin: I'm gla you decided to not put yourself in a situation that could have costed you a night in the slammer.

bellezanegra826 i'm so sorry ths happened to you. you know when folks Know the are dead wrong, instead of trying to admit and correct the situation the rectify it by pointing the finger to the consumer rather than themselves. DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT WOMAN! I will have to get Madea and we all know she will act a fool! That itch had her nerve to want to charge 150 for 4" of hair...hmm, let's see! That does not add up in my or any other's book. That itch would have gotten the taste slap'd out her mouth for that shish she she pulled. Everything you'd had pointed out is right on point, but in that itch's mind she was thinking you weren't up on ya game....lil did she know:grin: I'm gla you decided to not put yourself in a situation that could have costed you a night in the slammer.
:funny::lachen::lachen:

Man...you are good because after the deep conditioner I would have been out. That was a bad experience and this lady is a hustler trying to get more money. Now tell me...did this lady even have a board with prices of services?
Also please tell me you are not going back.:lachen:

I'm like CurlyMoo...went to the Egyptian salon and that was my last one. I was done with salons. Got fed up after going to salons all my life.

Last edited:
Man...you are good because after the deep conditioner I would have been out. That was a bad experience and this lady is a hustler trying to get more money. Now tell me...did this lady even have a board with prices of services?
Also please tell me you are not going back.:lachen:

I'm like CurlyMoo...went to the Egyptian salon and that was my last one. I was done with salons. Got fed up after going to salons all my life.

no she didn't have a board with prices up. if she did, how would she be able to pull the charges out of her arse?

When she finally finishes, she tells me that since she had to do so much work to my hair, the cost for her services would be $55. The services I received were a wash n set and blow dry. Not a perm, not an infusion of magic dust, a wash and freakin' set! So then she tells me that I need to set up an appointment for my texturizer, that she still hasn't given me a price for. I ask her again for a price, which she says with out looking at me $150! At this point, words of wisdom from the articulate soulja boy pop into my head...

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen::funny:

Your experience was just too crazy. This lady was just unreal. What's sad is that she had received so many positive reviews.

:nono:Oh hell no!:nono: See, it's this is one of the reasons why I want to learn to do my OWN hair. I agree with Jasmin, this "stylist" is a hustler. I'm glad you had enough knowledge to not let her 'con' you in to agreeing to the add-on services. You could have ended up broke and bald.

omg, i have got to stop reading this while im at work. the banter at the end a la solja boy made me bust out laughing so dag on hard. folks were looking at me like i was a looney toon.

Yeah I was gonna write my vent this morning soon as i strolled in to work. I went to the dominican salon this past weekend and this chick trimmed my hair. now mind you, i just had my hair trimmed about 4 weeks ago, and I only trim like 2 times a year when I go to get relaxers. and honestly, not trying to be prejudiced but er um, if english is not your first language, please do not come at my head with chemicals or scissors. I'm pressed to get some length because I bleached my hair super blond back in 2006 and all the damaged colored ends are almost gone. I was in between shoulder and armpit length for FOREVER. so i was like 2 inches away from bra strap and this chick trims me without asking/mentioning it. shes like "oh your hair has really grown" (i hadn't been in 3 months, cause i was on wash n go's). im chillin in the chair when i hear the snip. so now im barely at arm pit again. man u talking bout heated.

but i appreciate the post cause you know misery loves company plus "ya trick ya" made my dag on day.

omg, i have got to stop reading this while im at work. the banter at the end a la solja boy made me bust out laughing so dag on hard. folks were looking at me like i was a looney toon.

:lachen::lachen:ME TOO!!!:lachen::lachen:

Worst part of it all is that I could see Solja Boy actually saying it (and dancing wit' it!!)

It's my opinion that the Domincan Salon is only good if you have permed hair or a certain texture hair. They don't want to deal with the work of a natural head which is so unfair.

It's my opinion that the Domincan Salon is only good if you have permed hair or a certain texture hair. They don't want to deal with the work of a natural head which is so unfair.

yeah i'm starting to see that too, but if that's the case then she needs to stop claiming that she likes to work with all textures of hair and can do natural hair. but at the same time, i'm not natural and if she thought that a relaxer couldn't get my hair straight then why in the he@# would she put a texturizer in my hair to try to straighten it? aren't texturizers supposed to leave some texture in your hair?

Damn I'm actually in tears. :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

That was too funny. You didn't let her near your hair with those scissors, right?! Hope not girl. And they (stylists) wonder why we're learning to do our own hair in record numbers. What's with this technique of cutting your hair so it's all the same length or it won't grow crap? I swear I've heard that too many times.

Back