Vent: Hair Blowing by Two Students

Do you believe it is ok for 2 people to blow dry hair at one time?

• Yes! The students must give fast service.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No! It is not right.

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Yesterday,I had my hair done at the Aveda Institute in Chicago for a redo of highlights. It was uncomfortable for a cosmetology school to hasten a blow drying by using two students for my hair texture. One student on the right side other on left side using different blow drying techniques. I can see it for foiling the hair,micro braids or roller sets etc.

"The school informed me it was the first complaint ever received. It is done on African American hair to speed up the hair styling process. The blow drying tag teaming felt like my hair was being pulled out in a brawl. I let the school know it was not okay to treat my hair or any woman's hair in such a way. The tag teaming blow drying teaching method should cease.

Yes, I am writing a letter to their corporate office or whomever regulates the school.

On the positive: My hair turned out beautifully.:grin:

Last edited:
I would have been pissed too. To have my head tugged from both sides at the same time. But I'm happy the end result was good.

That is not an unusual policy for a beauty school. The way they see it, the price you pay is to cover product only. You are paying to have students practice/ hone their skills on your hair. Depending on the length & thickness of your hair the instructor may have thought one student would not finish your hair in time.

Honestly I would focus on the fact that you were pleased with the end result because visiting a beauty school is a gamble (especially if you were working with a student and unfamiliar with).

I want to see your hair!!

Hey if it worked then why complain?

Off topic but you couldn't pay me to have students touch my hair. You're brave OP.

This is why I don't go to YT salons. I don't think a black school would have done that. Even if they had, both students would have been using the same technique for both sides. Using two different methods suggests to me that you might notice subtle differences in the days that follow. Maybe this is a fair trade off since you went to a school and didn't pay full price but it would bother me. And maybe you won't notice any difference. That's possible too.

For real though... you let students do your hair? And handle chemical services too? You are brave. It takes too long to find a good stylist so, when I do, I am loyal FOREVER. I occasionally check out other stylists if I've seen their work and they come highly recommended but that's just to have a backup.

It was a redo from the first highlighting issues the instructors caught by another student two weeks prior. The complaint was two student at one time blow drying African American hair in such a way. One using a roller brush technique on the right. The other on the left using a brush pull out method. I understand students are learning. However,I do not believe it to be a proper teaching technique for hair. Yes,I voice my disapproval.

The mgr called to say it should not be done on anyone's hair. They apologized. He promised, It will not be done again on anyone's hair. :grin:

I was pleased with the senior student redoing the minor highlights mess up instructors noticed earlier.

I'm sorry. I am confused. You dislike the method but you are happy with the results?

I get it. I've had my hair done by stylists that do blow outs with a brush (I prefer the comb attachment) and only straighten with a flat iron (it was called an express press :sad:). The end result looked good but I don't want to be serviced by someone that cuts corners or does things that I think are unhealthy for my hair.

I probably would have complained before they were finished if I was the OP though. Her story reminded me of being a "tenderheaded" little girl. I won't tolerate anything that hurts or is uncomfortable.

They have done a beautiful job highlighting my mother's hair and other relatives.

So,I thought to myself go for it. :lol::lol: I got caught in the rain,so pictures are in order just not today.

I get it. I've had my hair done by stylists that do blow outs with a brush (I prefer the comb attachment) and only straighten with a flat iron (it was called an express press :sad:). The end result looked good but I don't want to be serviced by someone that cuts corners or does things that I think are unhealthy for my hair.

I probably would have complained before they were finished if I was the OP though. Her story reminded me of being a "tenderheaded" little girl. I won't tolerate anything that hurts or is uncomfortable.

You are correct,I should have complained earlier. Guilty for not speaking up for self.

Also: Satisfied blow drying changes will be going into effect on African American hair.

Last edited:
BostonMaria. & PureSilver pictures of my highlights below. I thought the highlights "Redo" turn out nice. I also let them cut it.:blush::lol:

Attachments

• image-680883026.jpg
    image-680883026.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image-571458398.jpg
    image-571458398.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back