Vacation Hair

FtrDrO

I'm going to be in Cancun staying at a resort in less than a week (yay!!!). But I don't know what to do to my hair! I want something simple and that I don't have to really think about, but cute.

At first I thought I'd do wash and gos for the 5 days that I'm there but with my natural 4a/b hair, that might end up being tangle central unless I do it nightly and braid it every night...something i'm probably not going to want to bother with on vacation.

Then I thought of twisting it up as usual but that seems so boring....but then again it is easy.

So what do you guys think? How do you prefer to wear your hair on vacation?

^^I don't know if I'd want to deal with a twistout on a vacation, especially if I'll be near water.

I've thought about this very thing. I think the easiest (but most boring) thing for me to do would be to rock wng the whole time. But I think I'd more likely rock extensions (my preference would be kinky twists or yard braids).

Of course you could always start w/ a style that will easily morph into others as the days progress. Say you start with the twists on day one, twistout day 2, twistout pony day 3, twistout bun or wng bun (depending on if you've been in the pool or beach by then), wng day 4, and some sort of other easy updo on day 5, etc.

I do wash n gos on vacation, it's the easiest thing for me with swimming, plus it only takes me 5 minutes to do a wng in the morning. Have you tried pineappling at night to minimise tangles?

I'm a twists girl on vacation. I prefer them stretched, but I do them curly on vacay so I can rinse them if necessary. And it also significantly reduces the amount of product I have to bring with me during the trip.

For vacation wavy/curly weaves cause i just brush out and braid in 2 unless i straighten it. Or if your not into weaves then twist or braids will do.

I'm leaving for Maui in a few weeks and I struggled with this issue too. I think I'm getting tree braids. They'll look cute in the vacation pics and I plan on being in the water every day so they'll be easy and I don't have to pack a lot of products or tools.

Have fun on your trip!

One year we took a a cruise for our anniversary, I got braids and ended up taking them out 3 days into the trip. From that point on I decide to only do braidouts on vacation but I'm relaxed!

I do wash n gos on vacation, it's the easiest thing for me with swimming, plus it only takes me 5 minutes to do a wng in the morning. Have you tried pineappling at night to minimise tangles?

Zaz I have but my hair just shrinks up too much ( I have 80% or so shrinkage). It'll shrink in the pineapple! So unless I'm braiding or twisting it, it'll tangle. So I guess it would be more of a wash, braid, let dry, unbraid, and go lol. But thanks though!

I'm a twists girl on vacation. I prefer them stretched, but I do them curly on vacay so I can rinse them if necessary. And it also significantly reduces the amount of product I have to bring with me during the trip.

Ronnieaj I think you just officially sold me on the twists. I completely forgot about taking extra products......Twists it is! Thanks! Maybe i'll just take some flexies to give it a little curl if i'm trying to look extra cute.

Thanks everyone!

For some reason, whenever I go on vakay I wear weaves. Always something curly. I have this fear that one night my husband will want to whisk me away on a whim and I'll go into a panic mode and lock myself in the bathroom until my hair looks decent which HAS happened. Definite mood killer. Directly after hitting the pool one time, everybody wanted to go eat and I seriously needed to go back to my room to address the situation on top of my head.

Last edited:
So what do you guys think? How do you prefer to wear your hair on vacation?

I think you should do a half wig. I recommend La Fasta. look on samsbeauty.com. All you will need to pull out is about an inch of hair the rest can be braided up. Also, it has combs that will keep it snug if you want to swim in it. I wear mine with one of those double head bands with the elastic in the back. Its a great fun in the sun look.:yep:

Zaz I have but my hair just shrinks up too much ( I have 80% or so shrinkage). It'll shrink in the pineapple! So unless I'm braiding or twisting it, it'll tangle. So I guess it would be more of a wash, braid, let dry, unbraid, and go lol. But thanks though!

you can put your hair in small ponytails. (6-8) that's what i do to stretch out wash and gos or twistouts. this way you don't have to retwist or braid and worry about your hair getting tangled.

OP, you're just like me. I always have to mull over my "vacation hair", especially when I go to humid climates like Mexico and the Carribbean. I have to debate if I want straight hair and try to keep it straight or if I want to just wear my hair in its natural state, which sometime I want a change.

...this is what I do to keep everything in a gray area. I alway get it straigten at the hair dresser a day before I go and then let it gradually puff up. That way, I have it straighten the first couple of days for a certain look and then switch over as the "do" gets old to my almost usual-natural look. I also bring my steam rollers and roll my hair as it starts to frizz up for a very versatile look.

Back