"V" shaped members...

I'm glad to see I am not alone. I have V shaped hair with multiple layers. My stylist asked me "did I get layers cut in my hair" lol. I claim my length by my tip also, so I was mad when my stylist cut it to make it "more even."I'm done with professional stylists forever. I'm now a DIY person.

My hair is in a V shape as well, my front is past shoulder length and back is APL.. As long as I can remember my hair has never grew all one length.

I experience the "V" as well! Over the years, I too, would cut the tip so that everything would be all even but my hair just keeps growing into a "V". And all that cutting was getting rid of my progress so my hair stayed shoulder length for years.

I have ljust earned to embrace it. That is how my hair grows so let it be. The longest length is in the back of course and it is BSB. When more of my hair gets there, I will feel more comfortable claiming BSB. But right now I still claim APL. LOL.

I experience the "V" as well! Over the years, I too, would cut the tip so that everything would be all even but my hair just keeps growing into a "V". And all that cutting was getting rid of my progress so my hair stayed shoulder length for years.

I have ljust earned to embrace it. That is how my hair grows so let it be. The longest length is in the back of course and it is BSB. When more of my hair gets there, I will feel more comfortable claiming BSB. But right now I still claim APL. LOL.

what is BSB?

V-shape checking in here....

I have a love/hate relationship with my "V"....I am leaving it be for now and as I get to my goal length will continue to trim away most of it.....

I have thickness issues, and my "V" seems to magnify my lack of thickness...I do suffer from Blunt envy at times...though I don't dwell...I try to accept what I have and work with it.

My hair grows (or breaks?) in layers too. It gets annoying sometimes, but it is what it is.

As far as hair lengths, I did not officially claim BS when my V touched by BS. I just said my V is grazing BS. I wouldn't claim it until 90% of my hair was on the bra clasp. Some people don't really claim it until their hair is past the clasp. It all depends on the person's POV.

My hair grows (or breaks?) in layers too. It gets annoying sometimes, but it is what it is.

As far as hair lengths, I did not officially claim BS when my V touched by BS. I just said my V is grazing BS. I wouldn't claim it until 90% of my hair was on the bra clasp. Some people don't really claim it until their hair is past the clasp. It all depends on the person's POV.

:yep: That's how I'm going to be - I've got a wicked V and the natural layers. My tip is well past my shoulders, and I'm still not claiming shoulder length - because it would just be goofy, at least in my mind. :lol: I'm considering not claiming ANYTHING until my crown layers hit that point - I'll be full 'whatever' at that point, and 3/4 of the way to the next milestone, too. *sigh* That means it'll take me almost another year to be able to claim shoulder, and my lower layers will most likely almost be APL, by then. :look: Ah, well.

wow...this sounds like me totally:yep:

V-shape checking in here....

I have a love/hate relationship with my "V"....I am leaving it be for now and as I get to my goal length will continue to trim away most of it.....

I have thickness issues, and my "V" seems to magnify my lack of thickness...I do suffer from Blunt envy at times...though I don't dwell...I try to accept what I have and work with it.

same here:yep:...but i do use it to guide my progress...so yeah its a def. love/hate relationship:look:

HMMMMMM...I never thought of using my V as a guide...thats a good idea!!!!:yep: Its like an arrow pointing to where I'm at/headed....me likes!

and i always think that if my "V' is touching that length...i know the rest of my hair can grow that length...I just try to stay patient waiting for the rest of the strands to catch up...right now my "V" is touching MBL:look:

:yep: That's how I'm going to be - I've got a wicked V and the natural layers. My tip is well past my shoulders, and I'm still not claiming shoulder length - because it would just be goofy, at least in my mind. :lol: I'm considering not claiming ANYTHING until my crown layers hit that point - I'll be full 'whatever' at that point, and 3/4 of the way to the next milestone, too. *sigh* That means it'll take me almost another year to be able to claim shoulder, and my lower layers will most likely almost be APL, by then. :look: Ah, well.

I'm with you on this one, Kiya... My hair grows into the infamous "V" and I've learned not to fight it anymore. I claim lengths based on the way it LOOKS-- untouched, unstretched to the average onlooker. My hair is past APL and if I really tried, I could stretch and contort my back to show that my "V" pretty much touches BSB or BSL or whatever, but to everyone else looking at my hair, they see that 90% of it is at APL. Thus, to claim BSB/BSL at this point based on 10% of my hair is kinda just playin' myself, yanno? :rolleyes:

for those that wont claim the length of their longest hairs why keep it then? just a question. do you just really like your v shape?

Hey, look at my avatar....so you know I'm working with a serious V.

But looking at MsKibibi, after she hit below BSL, she gradually cut off the bottom layers, she did it over a year's time, and it grew into a nice fuller U, which looks more blunt and the hair looks thicker and heavier.

So I plan on doing that, maybe next year when I have more length...so the gradual cutting won't hurt as much.

I keep mine because it's perfectly healthy hair and I'm not worried about a blunt look right now. Maybe when I reach my goal length, I might play around with cutting it blunt for a while to see if I like it. For now, I can visualize my milestones better when the majority of my hair is swinging at a particular level, not just a few strands. It's like I'm not really convinced I'm there until I can see it from every angle :drunk:

ETA: I think its a matter of me setting the bar pretty high for myself. I don't knock anyone else's interpretation of their own goals, though.

Last edited:
I keep mine because it's perfectly healthy hair and I'm not worried about a blunt look right now. Maybe when I reach my goal length, I might play around with cutting it blunt for a while to see if I like it. For now, I can visualize my milestones better when the majority of my hair is swinging at a particular level, not just a few strands. It's like I'm not really convinced I'm there until I can see it from every angle :drunk:

ETA: I think its a matter of me setting the bar pretty high for myself. I don't knock anyone else's interpretation of their own goals, though.

:yep: That, and I have an severe aversion to cutting off perfectly healthy hair. :spinning: I get a lil twitchy, really. :lol: So, I'll keep the V - and like someone else said, it shows that my hair CAN get that long.....it's a preview of things to come.

And, I think it helps with updo's too - that one last little bit can make the difference between one working and it not.

@diya- that makes alotta sence.
@lady esquire- i have been trying to do that for years..lol. for some reason it dosent work for me. maybe im not diligent enough.

maybe because so many ladies here wear straight hair its more of an issue. i tell yall over and over that im a boring bun wearer....lol.....have been for years. so for me v or no v it really dosent make a diff. but i did quit trying to "even out" the v about 2 years ago. its crazy when you find out that so many women are going through the same things. you always feel like its just you.

:yep: That, and I have an severe aversion to cutting off perfectly healthy hair. :spinning: I get a lil twitchy, really. :lol: So, I'll keep the V - and like someone else said, it shows that my hair CAN get that long.....it's a preview of things to come.

And, I think it helps with updo's too - that one last little bit can make the difference between one working and it not.

its me "bun girl" again........lol.
yes i do find its soooooo much easier to wrap my bun up if the ends taper to a point. i can even wrap it up with out tying it if the ends are like that. blunt cut is very hard to wrap in a smooth bun. for me.

@diya- that makes alotta sence.
@lady esquire- i have been trying to do that for years..lol. for some reason it dosent work for me. maybe im not diligent enough.

maybe because so many ladies here wear straight hair its more of an issue. i tell yall over and over that im a boring bun wearer....lol.....have been for years. so for me v or no v it really dosent make a diff. but i did quit trying to "even out" the v about 2 years ago. its crazy when you find out that so many women are going through the same things. you always feel like its just you.

I may say this now, but then when I am 6 inches longer, I could really see myself saying, "nah, I'll pass". :lol:
For now, its healthy + growing nice and steady = :grin:

Jynkx-- Your hair is so undeniably, unquestionably long and luscious :lick: I bet you haven't had to worry about the issue of length measuring for quite a while now :laugh:! "V" or no "V", I'm pretty sure your hair is off the charts right now!!!

Jynkx-- Your hair is so undeniably, unquestionably long and luscious :lick: I bet you haven't had to worry about the issue of length measuring for quite a while now :laugh:! "V" or no "V", I'm pretty sure your hair is off the charts right now!!!

thank you diya. i never knew about measuring hair til i got to the hair boards a few months ago. thats why im still finding the whole thing very interesting. until i had my hubby take those fotki pix for me i didnt know i had that "super mega v" lol. i really didnt. when i saw it i was like :ohwell: then :lachen: then :nono: then :wallbash: then :spinning: thats when i went on and put them up.

Man ...:look:

I cut layers so I can have a V.
And I'm never going blunt.

ITA with most of y'all! It is the sexiest thing on your back.

And I love my little layered ponytail!:yep:

Back