Using Glycerin before straightening

MsLizziA

I noticed that in Mwzedi's famous flat iron post that Renice used a glycerin based product to moisturize her hair before flat ironing. Well what i want to know is, how is it possible to use glycerin on natural flat ironed hair and not have it frizz up later?

I know moisture is pulled from the air and put into the hair so how is it even possible to do this w/out having a frizz ball later in the day. I will sit under the steamer with glycerin but to use it before straightening.. i have no idea how this would work

Thoughts ladies?

No idea. Unless perhaps, she's able to somehow apply serum and have it adhere well to the hair over the glycerin (product) so that it still seals the hair from getting any atmospheric moisture.

Otherwise, it doesn't add up to me in my head. Do you know/remember all products used and the order in which that was done?

@MsLizziA, if the first post is what I'm supposed to be reading to find the answers to my question, I see where she says that the trials that failed were done with humectants. I don't see it mentioned in the final successful straightening. What products were used exactly isn't mentioned (which was what I was asking coz I figured you had the 411--since you were interested in understanding and so was hoping you'd help me help you by giving me what you had).

If I have to read the whole thread to find the details, that's OK. :lol: (I am too lazy to look for stuff I'm not planning to use. :lol: ) I'll just stick to I dunno.

Nonie oooh ok because i read it wrong then. I was just wondering how that was even possible. And yes i searched the whole thread and found nothing .. probably because it didnt happen.. lol

There is another natural here who uses HS14N1 before flat ironing. Sadly I can't remember her name but maybe she will see this and post.

I think she's type 4 as well

I done this once! Definate nono! Can't remember what I'd mostuirsed with, whether it was just water + glycerine, or jheri juice! But beware! I suffered heat damage to my hair.
My theory is when i was straightening my hair, the steam that was produced was simultaneously re-absorbed thanks to the glycerine so my hair remained curly with each pass of the flat iron.
And as I kept passing the flat iron over my hair, 4-5 times, cause I didn’t understand why it wasn’t straightening, I suffered heat damage. Be careful!

I use Wave Nouvea Finishing Lotion (which has glycerin as the second ingredient) before I flat iron and my hair doesnt revert. I apply it to my hair while it is still wet, comb thru, and let it air dry. Then I apply a very small amout of Chi Oil, blow dry my roots on cool, and flat iron on 340. I only do 1 or 2 passes and my hair is silky straight and it stays that way until I wash it (or sweat). I dont know how, just know that it does. Maybe the Chi Oil seals out moisture like you said, but I also apply a very small amount of the Wave Nouvea and an oil every couple of days to moisturize and seal. My hair gets flat by the end of the week but it stays straight.

Back