Using Castor Oil on Your Scalp...

DivineNapps1728

My hair likes castor oil, but I'm not sure if it's too thick to apply directly on my scalp.

Anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with applying castor oil directly to the scalp?

Thanks in advance!!

I've used JBCO on my scalp however it makes it itch so I mix it with jojoba and rosemary essential oil. It has helped with hair growth.

I've been using clear castor oil on my scalp for about 3 weeks now, ever since I joined Sunshyne's castor oil 3 challenge on Hairlista.com. I had been using it on my edges, and to seal occassionally, but wasn't sure about applying it directly to the scalp. The challenge lasts until December, so we'll see if I have any noticeable results by then. I know for a fact that it has thickened my front edges. You should join it too, so you can discover if its a beneficial oil for you. Been using it twice a week, yes it is heavy on the scalp, but it does leave my 4 inches of new growth quite soft!:grin:

I mix my JBCO with coconut oil. I put it directly on my scalp as well as on my hair. It keeps it moisturized. Since I'm using alot of other products along with this one, I can't say for sure it's what's causing my hair to grow although I think it is.

Sams JBCO has a pomade. You may want to check it out. I apply 3 times a week to my scalp. Also, Hollywood makes a very like castor oil. I sometimes use this when I don't want my hair weighed down. :yep:

I don't have jamaican black castor oil, just the regular clear kind you can take internally, but I'm happy to hear you all have had success using it !!

Yup, yup I am also doing the Hairlista CO challenge and 2x a week at least. OP I always dilute the CO with another lighter oil that will make it spread easier.

I actually prefer a thicker oil on my scalp because then its not running down my face later. I use JBCO.

I used to put castor and coconut oil directly on my scalp. It made my hair soft and helped keep it manageable. I would put the oil in a spray bottle mixed with water to thin it out and help it spray. I parted my wet hair and sprayed the oil all over my scalp. I stopped doing this because the oil and water by itself was not enough moisture and made my scalp itch very bad. Even though the hair wasn't dry the scalp was.

Now I make a cream moisturizer by mixing castor oil, coconut oil, shea butter and aloe vera gel and put directly on my scalp. This way I get enough moisture and I don't have itchy scalp.

I use the clear, unrefined, cold pressed castor oil and my hair loves it. I emptied out my WGO bottle, washed and dried it and refilled it with my castor oil. I spray the area with a little water, then I apply the castor oil to the scalp and roots and then I comb through frm root to tip with a wide tooth comb. My roots are soft and my edges are growing back.

I lurve castor oil.:yep: To stretch my JBCO, I mix one part JBCO and 2 parts regular castor oil. If you have a natural grocers by you, you can get a 32 oz (reg castor) for 10 bucks!

I just use it with a light hand.

I use all oils with a light hand if I'm leaving them in. You really don't need THAT much, just a light coating. No oily hair, and no drippy scalp. :yep:

I've only been using it for a few weeks on my scalp, but so far its great. I dilute the reg clear kind with avocado oil, and i put it in those Roots Only coloring bottles(Thanks Traycee!!) and use it 2x a week. My new growth is softer, and more manageble too

Last edited:
If you are speaking of the Hollywood brand in the green and white container I read the bottle and the jar yesterday and say that it has mineral oil in the bottle and mink oil in the jar. So I left them on the shelf.

Where can I get some pure castor and coconut oil?

If you are speaking of the Hollywood brand in the green and white container I read the bottle and the jar yesterday and say that it has mineral oil in the bottle and mink oil in the jar. So I left them on the shelf.

I use this hollywood brand only on my ends and some of the length thats it and I only use it three times a week I switch up after I wash my hair and use other things.

I've used JBCO on my scalp however it makes it itch so I mix it with jojoba and rosemary essential oil. It has helped with hair growth.

So that's what's causing the itching. I always thought that my scalp was dry, but the itching only started when I began using JBCO.

I use JBCO by itself on my scalp two or three times a week after a fresh wash. No itching and i don't mix it with anything but I do not like how my hair feels after a few days it might be the moisturizer Sunshine suggested I don't know.

You can get castor oil at Walmart, Rite Aid, CVS and similar type stores in the laxative aisle. You can find Coconut Oil in the vitamin section at Walmart and Whole Foods sells it too but I think you will find it in the cooking oil aisle there.

You can get castor oil at Walmart, Rite Aid, CVS and similar type stores in the laxative aisle. You can find Coconut Oil in the vitamin section at Walmart and Whole Foods sells it too but I think you will find it in the cooking oil aisle there.

Thanks! Running to CVS right now :drunk:

I mix castor oil, vitika oil and a little bit design essentials herbal complex and use that three times a week. It works really great for me.

I love JBCO! I seal with it daily. IDK if any really gets on my scalp, but I do gently massage it through my head. My hair is so soft! I'm a bit heavyhanded (working on that), but I don't mind "greasy" hair because I don't let anyone touch my head like that. :grin:

I love JBCO! I seal with it daily. IDK if any really gets on my scalp, but I do gently massage it through my head. My hair is so soft! I'm a bit heavyhanded (working on that), but I don't mind "greasy" hair because I don't let anyone touch my head like that. :grin:

Dumb Question: What is JBCO?? :look:

I've used cold pressed castor oil since 11/07. I get it from Oils by Nature (32oz $6) I use a color app bottle to apply and I use it on my scalp 3-5 times a week. My 27 wk post roots LOVE castor oil!!!!!

I use castor oil on my scalp now all the time at least 2-3x a week--I use the cold-pressed castor oil mixed with grapeseed oil. If you gain itchness, I recommend that you:
(1) mix it with another oil(sometimes, it is an allergic reaction), (2) shampoo 1x a week because castor oil can build up because of its heaviness; and (3) clarify every 4 weeks at least.

My hair still loves castor oil & I've had no issues using it on my scalp. My hair is sooooooo soft I keep messin up my puff because I randomly start caressing it :)

Back