Using a lye neutralising shampoo with a no-lye relaxer

Satchmo

Hi ladies, I've searched high and low and can't find any info on this, so thought I'd ask here. Basically, I'll be using mizani butter blends no lye relaxer for my next touch up with my mum's neutralizing poo as she uses the butter blends lye formula. However, I came across a mizani neutralizing poo that is specific to the no lye formula and am now deathly afraid that the one my mum has might be different and may not neutralise my relaxer :perplexed I will not be able to handle a setback of that magnitude :nono:
I got a list of the sensitive scalp balance hair bath shampoo ingredients but couldnt find one for the regular one. They are:
Aqua/Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium-7, Parfum/Fragrance, Methylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Disodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Phenolsulfonephthalein.

Does anyone have any experience like this? Or a list of ingredients for the regular balance hair bath shampoo? Or thoughts in general? I'd rather not shell out for the sensitive scalp one if I don't have to as I'm a broke student, but at the same time, I'd rather scrape my pennies together and still have hair than lose it all. I'm actually in London for the weekend and can get it cheapest here rather than having to pay for postage to my little town.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :yep:

Last edited:
I have no idea, I actually never thought about that. what I do know is that I've used my lye shampoo on my DD who uses no lye because that little bottle is not enough for me. I will look it into though at another time.

Satchmo. I've been searching online for you but I can't find the ingredient list for the lye neutralizing shampoo. If I were you, I'd pay for the one designed for the no lye relaxer formula, as the issue with no lye relaxers is the mineral deposit that occurs which is why a chelating shampoo is recommended for no lye relaxers.

Is the list of ingredients you are providing for the one your mom uses or for the one you want? I think the disodium EDTA in your list is a chelating ingredient.

I don't know if this is the no lye one you are referring to?
http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=10&p=5113&rid=300
Phormula7.jpg

Mizani Phormula-7 Neutralizing and Chelating dual purpose shampoo.

or this one? Mizani Butter Blend Sensitive Scalp Balance Hair bath
5122.jpg

This is an awesome article by one of our members on the Science of black hair blog. This is why I say stick to the sensitive scalp one.
http://www.blackhairscience.com/better.html

Last edited:
danysedia the ingredient list is for the sensitive scalp balance hair bath. Thanks for your help and advice- i'll just get it as I don't want to be experimenting with my hair! :nono: about to have a look at the article and by the way your hair is gorgeous in your signature!

Last edited:
Back