Using 20 volume developer when not trying to color hair?

naturalmanenyc

Anyone have experience with using developer when NOT trying to color hair?

I am considering buying a new BKT when my Rejuvenol BKT is done, Marcia Teixeira Brazilian Keratin Treatment Chocolate, and it calls for using developer.

Won't using developer color my hair?

"When doing the Treatment on virgin hair (not previously colored or chemically processed), we recommend doing 3 thorough shampoos with a mixture of
equal parts pre-treatment shampoo and 20 volume peroxide to help the hair become​
more porous, enabling it to better absorb the product."

I used it on my neighbor's hair while doing her BKT, and it did nothing to her color. it just requires that you add some to the clarifying shampoo.

Does the developer damage you hair or break it down in the same way a relaxer would?

Also is it the dye or the developer which contains the ppd?

I think I remembered something about BKT working better when there has been some sort of chemical service done to the hair. Maybe the developer counts as a "chemical service" to allow the hair to take better.

No - it does not "break down" the hair in the same way as a relaxer as no bonds are being broken. The ammonia in the developer is highly alkaline therefore creating an environment to force the cuticle layer to open (fan up).

No - Developer does not remove or deposit color without the addition of a color (PPD based) product. If you hair is not processed in any manner, using a developer will not lift your natural color. However, if your hair is in anyway damaged, color treated, or has poor porosity - you may experience a slight lightening of your hair color.

No - it does not "break down" the hair in the same way as a relaxer as no bonds are being broken. The ammonia in the developer is highly alkaline therefore creating an environment to force the cuticle layer to open (fan up).

No - Developer does not remove or deposit color without the addition of a color (PPD based) product. If you hair is not processed in any manner, using a developer will not lift your natural color. However, if your hair is in anyway damaged, color treated, or has poor porosity - you may experience a slight lightening of your hair color.

OT dumb question....so if I wanted to lighten my relaxed hair can I use this and it won't cause damage to my hair?? :ohwell:

When I did the Marcia T. BKT I used a 10 volume, because I was afraid of how my hair might turn out.

Now that I just did a QOD BKT, I can't say I can feel or see a difference by using the developer. I will see if this QOD last for 3 months like the Marcia T. did, if not then I think the developer had something to do with it.

I used it on my neighbor's hair while doing her BKT, and it did nothing to her color. it just requires that you add some to the clarifying shampoo.

OT: I love that hair color in your siggy MyAngelEyez.

I want to lighten my hair to something similar, but a little darker with a brownish/reddish mix one of these days.

My only problem is that I know I'll have to take care of it like I would a relaxer - constant deep treatments, trims, etc. Right now I only do deep treatments to give my hair oomph! not because I have to in order to keep it healthy.

Sigh, I'll see. Vanity, vanity, vanity!! Damn it! LOL

OT dumb question....so if I wanted to lighten my relaxed hair can I use this and it won't cause damage to my hair?? :ohwell:

Using developer without color is not a guarantee against hair damage. The reason it is suggested for untreated hair is because the cuticle layer is generally closed tightly, thus preventing the KT product from adhering to the cuticle layer of the strands.

Trendsetta25: you picked your poison hun', relaxing. I do not suggest relaxed heads color - if their goal is length. 20% volume will (yes I said will) pull your hair right out {as a general rule}. I do not suggest any relaxed head in general use permanent color. Some ladies can, but that goes on a case by case basis.

That means no demi-permanent either, I know a girl who lost 2 inches around the whole perimeter of her head to a demi (it was weeks after her last relaxer, and 2-3 wks before her touch up - on healthy hair) It has grown back nicely but......

What you can use: - all of these can be used on relaxer day.
***Color Rinses - will deposit color, give highlights in the sun
***Color Showers (veg. based dyes you can find in Dominican BSS) or roundhairbrush.com - also deposit only (but I have achieved a touch of lightness with these)
***Clairol Beautiful Collection - these are semi-perm. colors - they will not lift only deposit. If you want a lifting effect - use it right after a retouch when your cuticle is open, the colors will show brightly in sunlight.

***10% peroxide MAX - and that would be atleast 2 weeks after your touch up

Go to a professional who is skilled with coloring relaxed hair. (not the black beauty salon, but a real trained colorist). They would be able to give you a good consult.

Last edited:
On the contrary, level 20 developer COULD lighten your hair (it is the lightening agent added to hair color) but it would need to sit on your hair for a while (especially natural hair). The time it would take to wash your hair 3 times, probably wouldn't be enough time to lighten your hair though. Like some others said, I would use level 10--for the damage factor. Level 10 is pretty harmless, especially on un-relaxed hair.

Last edited:
Interesting concept. I wonder why other BKT treatments do not recommend using developer to open the cuticle for natural hair?

Back