Uses for a worn out satin sleep bonnet

LadyPaniolo

After the cheapo elastic pops, you may not want to sleep in it anymore. Since we're all gonna survive the recession, we've got to use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without. Let's try to get creative and think of what previous generations of women would do with that sleep bonnet.

Here are some ideas I had, feel free to add your own!

• Sew the satin material onto the lapel of your winter coat (unless it's an ugly color!)

• Make a bun cover out of the satin, possibly with a grosgrain ribbon trim or other cute jazzy add-ons

• line the hood of your winter coat

• make a lining for a hat (ski-type for winter, straw for summer!)

• Use it cover a couch throw pillow (maybe it wouldn't cover the whole thing, but you could make it into squares and use other slippery fabric for the others, then quilt a pillow cover)

• Put it over the headreast in your car
So let's hear your ideas!

After the cheapo elastic pops, you may not want to sleep in it anymore. Since we're all gonna survive the recession, we've got to use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without. Let's try to get creative and think of what previous generations of women would do with that sleep bonnet.

So let's hear your ideas!

Oh my gosh, I say this all the time. I don't even know where I heard it from. And I just put it in my siggy the other day lol.

Anyway, I use mine to line the inside of the wig I wear most often.

OMG, that's hilarious! Great minds think alike!:wink2:

It's an old saying... I don't even know how old it is... but I think the way the economy is going we're gonna hear it said more often. :yep:

That is an excellent idea to use it to line a wig! You'd have to have a darker colored one, or wear it under a nylon wig cap, or else the color could show through. I know this from trying to wear a white silk scarf under a wig... the white scarf was visible! :nono:

Mmmmm that's a good idea. I will sew my old one into the lining of my wool coat. :)

My great grandmother puts potpourri or whatever she makes the satchel she puts in her drawers out of her old ones, then ties it up like a satchel and throws it in. Mind you, the last time she did this was in about 1994, because she holds on to everything FOREVER.

So I am not sure what exactly she puts inside. And the ones in her drawers stopped smelling like anything but her ages ago.

I'm a seamstress, so I would just REPLACE the cheapo elastic with one of better quality and continue wearing my bonnet.:yep:

Depending on the fabric of your bonnet, you could use it, in lieu of pantyhose, to sift henna.

I am not so patient to be resourceful enough to do any sewing or anything. I would probably just end up throwing it out and buying another. What, aren’t they only like three bucks?

Depending on the fabric of your bonnet, you could use it, in lieu of pantyhose, to sift henna.

I am not so patient to be resourceful enough to do any sewing or anything. I would probably just end up throwing it out and buying another. What, aren’t they only like three bucks?

Ah! Using it to sift henna! Brilliant! :yep:

Yes, they are cheap right now... but with the economy heading the way it is, it may not be a bad idea to start thinking a little more about how to make money stretch. And some folks find it fun to get creative and reuse things in new ways.

Yep! I use my old satin scarfs to strain my Ayurvedic powders before my rinses. :yep:.

Ah! Using it to sift henna! Brilliant! :yep:

Yes, they are cheap right now... but with the economy heading the way it is, it may not be a bad idea to start thinking a little more about how to make money stretch. And some folks find it fun to get creative and reuse things in new ways.

You made me think of something. During my last visit to the BSS near me, the owner there said that no one is shopping in there like they used to. “Nobody is buying hair” he said in his Korean accent. :lol: One day I will go in there and those bonnets will be $5. :look:

Cutting them in small rectangular pieces and use them to cover my sponge rollers.

I had thought of this and then forgot to post it! It's a good idea... those sponge rollers are monsters of breakage without some protection, and those stupid endpaper thingies are just plain annoying, to me.

You could attach them by sewing the edges of the satin together along the long side, then gathering the fabric along the short round edges... I hope that makes sense! Sewing I think might work better than glue.

Cut into strips and wrap around sponge rollers. No glue or sewing required. I did this until I was able to find satin rollers at my local BSS to roll my DD's hair.

Last edited:
Back