URGENT: Need Advice on Underprocessed Hair (Please?)

Monaliz

I am trying to grow my hair to a decent length by November when I'll be a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding. I started this thing of only retouching just twice a year, so most of the time my hair is braided. Anyway, since Jan, it had been plaited until about 2 weeks before my touch-up when I undid it and left it out so that my scalp could relax (I burn really easily, you see). Anyway, a good friend then told me about Organics kids, which she said was "really cool" and I oughta use it. I complied, but went for the Super version for course hair and proceeded to get my touch-up last Monday.

Good news, I didn't burn; bad news, my hair is coarse and feels very under processed, even though I used the strongest Organics Kids. So my hair looks like #$%^^&&... To add insult to injury, the other day someone asked me, "How do you survive with natural hair?" WT!!???? That's how underprocessed it is. My hair stylists tells me I can get another touch-up with my normal chemical (Dark and Lovely) after a month... But I'm terrified! What if my hair falls off!!!??? The thing is, it's very coarse (the growth part of it) but the hair itself is not strong or thick, its kinda light/thin...

Please guys, point me in the right direction. Should I just braid it and deal with this underprocessing issue six months from now (I'm leaning towards this); or should I get the underprocessed part relaxed before braiding. Anything else I need to do to ensure I keep my hair?

I thank you kindly in advance for your responses.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your story! I hope someone can help you with this.

I have the same problem and am curious also about how to fix underprocessed hair.

Is Organic Kids a no-lye relaxer? Your saying your hair dresser said you could go back over that hair with a regular relaxer and that would correct it?

I would deep condition and get braids for the next 6 weeks. I wouldn't rush to relax so soon. Give your hair time to rest. When you take out the braids, wash, deep condition, blow dry (if needed) and get a relaxer the week after.

I'm not clear as to WHEN the mishap happened... if it happened more than 8 weeks ago, I'd deep condition and consider getting a retouch sometime next week. No need to stretch in this case, it may do more harm than good.

jackie1277 said:
Your saying your hair dresser said you could go back over that hair with a regular relaxer and that would correct it?

I wasn't sure whether it was a no-lye but I searched on the Web and it is:

Kids Organics (LOL I had it backwards)

Yes one hairdresser said to relax after a month but I never know whether to trust hair stylists or not. I feel safer asking you guys.

beana said:
I would deep condition and get braids for the next 6 weeks. I wouldn't rush to relax so soon. Give your hair time to rest. When you take out the braids, wash, deep condition, blow dry (if needed) and get a relaxer the week after.

I'm not clear as to WHEN the mishap happened... if it happened more than 8 weeks ago, I'd deep condition and consider getting a retouch sometime next week. No need to stretch in this case, it may do more harm than good.

Thank you for your input, Beana. The mishap happened on June 5th.

Can anyone recommend a good deep conditioner? I am very new at this proper hair care thingy so any guidance you can give me will be very helpful. My sister is natural, as is my mom, so I'm all alone in this. :(

I don't know a whole lot but hopefully someone can help you better than me, but I think I've finally found out by talking to people here, that my hair may need lye relaxer.

The no-lye may be the problem, however there are people who use this and have no problems. It might be okay to use another relaxer over your old no-lye, but you would be have to willing to take that chance.

Braids are such a good way to deal w/ hair I have to say. My hair was all a mess and then I was in braids for 1 year and half and my grew SO much, i was able to start all over with a brand new head of virgin hair (of course now I messed it all up with the wrong relaxer!)

Especially for the summer it sounds like a good idea.

Hey funny thing was I just found this article on this website that states:

"If your No-Lye relaxer is not working for you, it would not be a good thing to put in braid extensions to grow your hair with a no-lye relaxer. I have heard that the PHYTO NO-LYE RELAXER is a good one. phyto.com It has natural ingredients, yet keeps the hair moist."

Here is the link, I don't know of her expertise but she sounds knowledegeable..

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/perms.html

jackie1277 said:
Sorry to hear about your story! I hope someone can help you with this.

I have the same problem and am curious also about how to fix underprocessed hair.

Is Organic Kids a no-lye relaxer? Your saying your hair dresser said you could go back over that hair with a regular relaxer and that would correct it?

Organics Kids is a no-lye relaxer and so is the Dark and Lovely relaxer that i usually use and my hair dresser is advicing i should use next time.

Back