urgent henna question

Relaxers can be very drying and so can henna. Usually when you relax it is best use and reconstructor and moisturizer afterwards. I would suggest waiting at least a week to do the henna. Combining both henna and a relaxer may result in breakage from excessive dryness. Hopefully some other will chime in.

http://www.rainbowresearch.com/

http://www.rainbowresearch.com/henna_instructions.html

Can I Henna after a perm?
After a Perm we suggest that you wait 3-5 shampooings. This will insure that the entire chemical residue is removed prior to doing the Henna application.
Can I Henna before a perm?
Yes, Follow instructions below to remove Henna coating first.
What is the best way to remove Henna?
To help remove Henna from the hair shaft, apply warm mineral oil to the hair. Leave on 20-25 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Shampoo out. This procedure is good prior to using a perm or chemical tint/color.

Henna is VERY Drying. I used a moisturizing natural shampoo (amla shine from whole foods) a deep conditioner (ORS replenish pak), and a leave-in (Giovanni Direct leave-in) and my hair still felt extremely dry the next day, it was strong, but dry. I'm with Xavier, you should wait at least a week...:nono:

thanx ladies

still 50 - 50 torn cause jlove said yes and xavier said no

anyone else?:look:

I can say yes from experience. My last relaxer was Phyto (it's no-lye so even more drying IMO than lye) and I henna'd the same day. I did DC overnight with no dryness or breakage.

But when in doubt about how your hair will fare, wait a week or so.

Hi -

I LOVE henna!! And I am actually in the same predicament you are. I am trying to decide if I will wait a week between a touch up or do them the same day. I would think it would depened on the Henna you use as well. I use Henna for Hair's products so I don't have to worry about metals mixing with the chems from my relaxer.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

However, I beleive that Sareca is the Henna queen and she could probably help you best.:grin: Send her a PM

regards

I can say yes from experience. My last relaxer was Phyto (it's no-lye so even more drying IMO than lye) and I henna'd the same day. I did DC overnight with no dryness or breakage.

hey girl thanx i decided i did my retouch today and ended up not doing the henna cause i was too tired :grin: i use a no lye too (ors) but will do the henna in bout 5 days :yep:

thanx ladies for all your help

I say yes and I use Phyto as well, I also DC w/ moisture post henna with no breakage. I think the key is to do a DC

After reading about henna and consulting with members, I relaxed and followed with henna/indigo treatment. I found that I had fewer broken strands in the sink (hardly none) and that my hair was extremely hard. I used Ellin Lavar ReconstructiveMasque (deep moisturizing) mixed with amla oil under a heating cap for an hour, used Nex. moist shampoo, followed by Matrix Biolage leave in tonic.
My hair is oh so healthy and strong. The shine is also a major bonus.
I'm excited about doing another henna just to see how my hair will react.

Back