Updates 2015 Water Only Routine, Wetting Hair Daily Routine (not Co Washing)

The sebum coverage is good but it needs to be clarified or else it can clog your scalp. It is the use of the warm water everyday that can cause your strands to get over moisturized. And if your hair is fine that warm water daily for too long a period of time can really weaken your strands. Doing it twice a week is okay it is everyday or every other day that can get tricky and then the styling you have to do with your hair afterwards that causes over manipulation and weak strands.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks, this is good advice. I'm looking into the Terressentials mud wash now to keep on hand for when I need to get rid of some of the excess sebum.

Clarifying is good but I would rather use a good shampoo than a mud wash. I think a mud wash can be drying to your hair and may not cleanse your scalp as well as you think.

Best,
Almond Eyes

@almond eyes

Terressentials is really good. In some cases I think that getting rid of some of the sebum could be beneficial than using a clarifying shampoo to get rid of all of the sebum. Also, there's nothing to say that you can't follow up the mud wash with a conditioner. Depending on the type of mud, I find that this helps minimize the drying effects of the mud wash.

This sounds like it would be so healthy and nourishing to your hair but I can't imagine a water only routine meshing well with heavy silicone usage. Plus, it might not be easy to detangle hair with just water and no product to make it slippery and pliable. For those who have experienced success with this method, does the sebum/hair have a smell? Do others notice or take heed of it?

@ExquisitelyAlien from what I understand, you'd clarify with something natural like a clay/mud, acv, or oil rinse. As for the smell, after a while you do notice that your sebum does have a smell, but it doesn't smell like sweat. I only really noticed mine when I was washing in the shower then once my hair dried it went away. I asked DH to smell my head every so often. He's got a keen sense of smell and he'd have to go up close and inhale deeply before he could give me a response: he could smell it but it didn't smell like BO...just *my* scent but a bit stronger, if that makes any sense.

As for detangling, I'm coming off of a failed attempt of MHM and was water washing in between the clay rinses. After a while, I noticed that my hair was pretty easy to detangle under running water. Now doing it with the spray bottle seems more difficult.

I started water rinsing last week, again. It has been one week and my hair seems to responding really well. This time I am using a shower filter for this purpose and I've been very diligent about massaging, scritching and preening. In one week I believe ice managed to get full coverage.

For the first 5 days I supplimented with my leave in and sealed an oil. Day 6 I stopped because I wasn't sure if they were preventing my sebum from coming in. I couldn't feel it when I was washing my hair. On the night of day 6 when I was refreshing my protective style I noticed that I did have sebum coverage. My hair was super soft and I didn't really need to spray to detangle.

I'm going to continue to m&s just because I like the way it makes my hair feel and also because my moisturizer has a light protein in in (silk peptides). I also think that the filter has helped with making my hair feel softer and perhaps even softening my sebum. It feels a little less waxy in the shower, but waxy when I was styling my hair.

Dear Jesus I am so slow. I just realized that I have been practicing a modified version of this all along! I feel so stupid lol. Generally, I shampoo or cowash and deep condition once a week but I wet/rinse my hair and massage my scalp daily before applying my leave in conditioners and moisturizers as my hair only absorbs products when applied on damp or wet hair.

I decided to give my hair a small dose of protein and did a final rinse of 1 part AVJ to 3 parts distilled water (did not rinse with water after). My hair felt SOOO soft after. I've never felt it like that before. I'll have to keep this step more often.

I thought I'd leave an update. I've gone back to my weekly clay washes, but now I water rinse 2-4 times during the week. It seems as though my sebum is here to stay. I've shampooed and i still had a coating. I'm going to check later this week to see if the conditioner that I use dries it up.

I suspect that once it comes in then it's maintained by using products with a certain pH (plus diet). I know that wateronlyhairwash.com mentions that certain products will dry up your sebum, but right now I'm enjoying the best of both worlds -- frequent rinses + sebum + my regular products.

Back