UPDATED PICS OF MY BRAIDS!!!

[ QUOTE ]
cybra said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Simply gorgeous! You did an awesome job! As a self braider I know how challenging doing it yourself can be. Kudos to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey DSD, we both have a "Devin" and we both braid our own hair. Will the similarities never cease!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what else we have in common!

Hi Cybra
wave.gif

Question: What do u have on the braid ends to keep the beads on? I see a lil round chip thingy... what's that called? I'm looking to braid/bead my natural hair but I need to figure out how to keep the beads secure (without rubber bands)...

Those braids are real cute. I'm thinking of getting my hair like that in the future. I just got over my big forehead so I will try those braids after I take these braids out.

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree said:
Hi Cybra
wave.gif

Question: What do u have on the braid ends to keep the beads on? I see a lil round chip thingy... what's that called? I'm looking to braid/bead my natural hair but I need to figure out how to keep the beads secure (without rubber bands)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, PT, what you see on the ends of my hair are "washers!" That's right, they are the washers you use with nuts and bolts
laugh.gif
Right before I braided my hair in the first pics I posted, I sat down and tried to think of something different I could put on the ends of my hair (which is actually the ends of the synthetic hair I use when I braid) that was different and attractive. That day, my husband had to fix a leaky kitchen faucet and he had a rubber washer, and I said, "that's it!" I headed to WalMart, and for less then a dollar, I bought a pack of silver washers for the ends of my hair. However, after putting the ends of the braid through the washer, I do fold the tip and secure it with a black, none-gripping rubberband. I plan to go get the gold washers next time...they cost a bit more but are still are very cheap...I think like $1.50 or something like that. I'm glad you like my braids and "add-ons."
laugh.gif
One thing you could try, since it's your natural hair is tying the washer on with black yarn...you could wrap it around a few times, to make more than one layer, then make a knot. When you're done, you should be able to cut the not and not get your hair. I've never done this, but I'm almost positive it should work...I knit and knot all the time
laugh.gif

soslychic, tell your mom I like her already
smile.gif

sabie19, thanks for the compliments on my braids. I know yours will be nice too. Be sure to take pics, I would love to see them. I'm just trying to come up with a new style that I can actually do next time. If you see any cool cornrow styles, please PM me and let me know.

Thanks to everyone again...you're all so sweet.
kiss.gif

OMG Cybra, I thought those were washers
laugh.gif
, but I wasn't sure! Oh how funny! I LUV 'EM
smile.gif
. I'm definitely gonna look into those when I decide to braid. BTW, I believe the yarn should work too
cool.gif
Thanks luv!

Your pics are gorgeous and I love your braids! I wish I could cornrow my own hair because I'd like to get my hair cornrowed and not pay someone and be able to take them out at least every two weeks and re-do them. How often do you rebraid your hair?

ms_kenesha
smile.gif

Cybra, I am still struggling with picking my jaw off the floor at the mention that you did those yourself
shocked.gif
... I said it before and I'll say it again... those cornrows are off the hook!!!
up.gif

Thanks ms K for the compliment. Actually, I usually take them down ever 2 weeks...but this time I'm going to TRY to leave them up for a month. However, because I love washing my hair really good down in the scalp, I'll do good if I make it to 3 weeks.
laugh.gif

Thank you. too, MissJ for the compliment...you're very dear
smile.gif
Nonie...you'll be doing the same in no time...then I'll be "hate'n"
laugh.gif
Thanks again for the compliment sweetie.

peachtree, dsd, I'm glad you liked the yarn idea...HTH.

wow, those are gorgeous braids, and you do not look 40 stop playin, wow, my mom braids my hair so it's all good.

I must join in; the braids are great! And your ideas of the washers and the yarn are very creative as well!

Thanks Nessa and Tasha! Nessa, trust me saying I am into my 4..4...40s, isn't to always do. But I thank God for the good genes he gave me...it truly hides the truth
laugh.gif
Also tell your mom for me "you go girl!"

Tasha, I can be very creative when I don't want to spend money
laugh.gif

Thanks again ladies...you're both sweet.
smile.gif

My goodness Cybra! You are so beautiful!! BlackCardinal--You are so lucky to come from such excellent genes. Cybra, I absolutely love your braids too. I cannot believe you were creative enough to use washers on the ends to add a style element. I never would have thought of that!

Thanks CC. My daughter, is going to have a cow now that you've connected us...but I think I've slipped on a couple threads and said things that gave away she is my daughter. I have another daughter who is 3 years older than she is too...she's not part of the forum...party poop
laugh.gif

But BC is truly growing her hair long. Right before she went back to college, I put a relaxer in it and her dad and I was looking as if she had diamonds dripping from her hair
shocked.gif
it really grew from her doing things on this board. That's why I joined
smile.gif

But, thank you for your compliment...to the both of us.

You are so pretty, I mean you are absolutely lovely. You do not look your age at all. Your braids look very, very good. Did you use extensions? Or is it all your hair? How long did it take?

Thanks Karezone, you're sweet. I do use extension...hopefully, one day, my hair will be that length on its own. But for now, I borrow what's "man made"
laugh.gif
It took me a little over 6 hours or so to do it. I stopped periodically to eat and do other things. Also, if I would braid one and it was too tight or not straight enough, I'd take it back down and do it again...which happed a few times. But, it's done and prayerfully, it will last for about a month. I truly don't think I could take them being in any longer than that
laugh.gif
I usually take them down every two weeks...but this was too much trouble so I won't do it this time. I'll wash them each week and try to keep them moisturized so my hair will keep growing.

Thanks again for your kind words...and for thinking I look young. I hope you'll say that when I hit 50...which isn't too far off
grin.gif

Back