UPDATE ON DRY HAIR: ORS IS GARBAGE ON THE HAIR!

bravenewgirl87

I first found ORS products in Middle School/High School and have been using their greases/lotions for a years. But, i have always noticed that my hair would not grow and i had outrageously dry scalp no matter how much of this stuff i glopped on. Last night i took you guys' advice and bought Queen Helene Cholesterol ( couldn't find LeKair, but i also remember i used to use this stuff long time before when i was a kid). I mixed it with Jojoba Oil, Honey, and Olive Oil. Big change, and i loved it. :)
But, like a fool, i used the ORS Soy Oil and Olive Oil Hair Lotion afterward. Back to the point, my hair is freakishly dry this morning; this is where the breakage comes from! There is nothing wrong with my diet ( i eat so much seafood that i may need to get tested for mercury poisioning), taking all the neccessary steps. I was using CD HHB exclusively for a few weeks and noticed a HUGE difference. And thinking back, when i had no ORS products and was only using the Ojon Hair Restorative, Oscar Blandi, CD products, i had no breakage. I asked my mom today if she had the same problem and she said yes, it dries her hair out too. I figured out why their products are so damaging--> it looks like they use parabens and Petroleum in their hairdressings! For years i had problems retaining length and if it were not for you all, i would never had known why. THANK YOU!:D But do you all know any natural chemical free hair dressings i can replace this crap with?:confused:

bravenewgirl87 said:
I first found ORS products in Middle School/High School and have been using their greases/lotions for a years. But, i have always noticed that my hair would not grow and i had outrageously dry scalp no matter how much of this stuff i glopped on. Last night i took you guys' advice and bought Queen Helene Cholesterol ( couldn't find LeKair, but i also remember i used to use this stuff long time before when i was a kid). I mixed it with Jojoba Oil, Honey, and Olive Oil. Big change, and i loved it. :)
But, like a fool, i used the ORS Soy Oil and Olive Oil Hair Lotion afterward. Back to the point, my hair is freakishly dry this morning; this is where the breakage comes from! There is nothing wrong with my diet ( i eat so much seafood that i may need to get tested for mercury poisioning), taking all the neccessary steps. I was using CD HHB exclusively for a few weeks and noticed a HUGE difference. And thinking back, when i had no ORS products and was only using the Ojon Hair Restorative, Oscar Blandi, CD products, i had no breakage. I asked my mom today if she had the same problem and she said yes, it dries her hair out too. I figured out why their products are so damaging--> it looks like they use parabens and Petroleum in their hairdressings! For years i had problems retaining length and if it were not for you all, i would never had known why. THANK YOU!:D But do you all know any natural chemical free hair dressings i can replace this crap with?:confused:

Maybe they secretly make it this way because they know that us "ethnic" people will still use it because we think it is good for our hair?

I'm serious.

I don't know how many black women I know that still believe gobs of grease on their hair is a "good thing."

Ugh. I hated the ORS Olive Oil on my hair as well. It just sat on top of my hair. No moisture whatsoever.

I tried the CD HHB on my relaxed hair (I used to use it as a natural) and I really liked it. I've been trying to use all of my current products before buying any new ones, but this one might be up for a repurchase.

bravenewgirl87 said:

I'm sorry that the ORS products didn't work out for you :(. When you ask about hair dressings are you talking about for the scalp or for the length of your hair? Anyway, I will recommend that you use natural oils without petroleum in them for your scalp...such as Jojoba oil, Avacado oil, or even products such as WGO. For the hair itself, you can try the brands they sell in the organic food stores (Giovanni, Aubrey Organics, etc), since they are either all chemical free or mostly chemical free.

HTH
:)

I don't use their pomades and oils, but I do own a bottle of the Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion. I love it for sealing. Although it has water as the 1st ingredient, it has proved to NOT be a good moisturizer for me on it own. I can only use it for sealing when I don't want to use oil. That may be because oil is the 2nd ingredient and not a humectant. Honestly, I don't knwo any ORS products that are good for moisture, but I do think they have good products to supplement with.

I'm using the ORS temple balm and it is making my edges really dry, I just scraped out these really big flakes :(

I used to used ORS replenishng pack it probably worked on my hair good after a relaxer but other than that nothing now I am using Queen Helene cholesterol it made my hair feel like butter. I can tell the difference even after my hair has airdried, because I wear a wig and I have cornrows and the ends feels soft even though its braided and before it felt stiff. I use the carrot oil to moisturize and some jo oil so far ok but I cant tell bc my hair is braided up I like this technique I cant wait to get a lacefront its on and poppin:lol:

I've never tried any of the other ORS products, but I do like the replenishing pak and the relaxer. Both of them work well with my hair.

I don't use their oils because they're just grease with a bit of oil in them, IMO. I love the aloe shampoo, the mayo (with egg), and the replenishing pak. They all did wonders for my hair yesterday.

that's a shame the ORS moist. lotion didn't work for you... but I absolutely love the ORS moisturizing lotion!!!! My hair just soaks it right up!
that just goes to show that what works for some can't work for all.:(

the only thing I like from their line is their relaxer. that is it.
Ive tried their oil sheen years ago (haha at oil sheens :/) and it dried my hair out and made it so greasy.

Their moisturizing lotion also made my hair greasy and I got a lot of flakes.

I love the Hair Mayonnaise, the liquid temple balm, and the Microcirculation treatment (the stronger, professional version of Scalp Scrub.)

The other products, including the Scalp Scrub, do absolutely nothing for me.

I can't use their olive oil moisterizer as it does funky things to my hair, but I do love the replenishing paks! (they always get doctored up with Keraphix and coconut oil)

-A

ak46 said:
I'm sorry that the ORS products didn't work out for you :(. When you ask about hair dressings are you talking about for the scalp or for the length of your hair? Anyway, I will recommend that you use natural oils without petroleum in them for your scalp...such as Jojoba oil, Avacado oil, or even products such as WGO. For the hair itself, you can try the brands they sell in the organic food stores (Giovanni, Aubrey Organics, etc), since they are either all chemical free or mostly chemical free.

HTH
:)

i haven't found a commercial brand moisturizer that i like
i agree with ak46!i make my own:ohwell:
and i love products like aubrey organics, kiss my face...

Bosslady1 said:
Yeah, I don't like the ORS line. There Olive Oil creme had mineral oil in it...ugh!:perplexed

Do you mean the Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion? That does not have mineral oil in it. Is there another cream in that line?

ETA: it does have Petrolatum. I see that now.

The other products besides the lotions/hairdressing are okay. I kinds like the Replenshing pak but nothing at all like the Cholesterol. I've never tried the relaxer.

Aside from the Replenishing Deep conditioner and carrot creme, I abhor every other product from ORS, the lotion makes my hair crunchy/heavy/greasy and the other products just sit on my hair/scalp.

Forgot to add that the Mayo is good too!

Last edited:
HoneyDew said:
I don't use their pomades and oils, but I do own a bottle of the Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion. I love it for sealing. Although it has water as the 1st ingredient, it has proved to NOT be a good moisturizer for me on it own. I can only use it for sealing when I don't want to use oil. That may be because oil is the 2nd ingredient and not a humectant. Honestly, I don't knwo any ORS products that are good for moisture, but I do think they have good products to supplement with.

I agree, I thought it was just me, and it smells really good. I also love the replenishing pack. Thats my new staple.

Sowwy to hear that they don't work for you...

I use the Replenishing Pak, the Olive Oil Aloe Creamy Shampoo, the OO Moisturizing Lotion AND the Hair Mayo and I like them very much! Nice products.

I hate everything except the replenishing conditioner, the oil sheen (even though it has bad ingredients) and the mayo. Everything else is hot garbage.

i love the ORS carrot oil. it is a moisturizer. then i seal with my growth oil mix or jojoba oil. just relaxed after 2 yrs and my hair feels great

ors was the culprit of my shedding in the past. since i have done away with it (lotion, moisturizer, condish) that mass shedding has ceased.

I use ORS OLIVE OIL... it's one of my staples
But, ya'll bring up interesting points...
it does make your hair feel dirty and heavy
a little... and it does have mineral oil...
I dunno... I'm going to have to pay attention
in the upcoming weeks... I may not buy it again.

The olive oil makes my hair feel dirty. That is because of the mineral oil in it. In general mineral oil doesn't go well with my hair. The only exception Ive had is the oil sheen. That SURPRISINGLY doesn't make my hair feel nasty.

Back