Unwanted Bangs due to BREAKAGE

Ms_Twana

Okay resident hair experts. A couple of days ago, I realized I have bangs that I didn't cut. When I look at the ends in this area, some of them are tapered (which suggests new hair to me) but most of them were not (which suggests breakage). :wallbash: I can't figure out what I'm doing to cause breakage in that area? My hair strands are fine in that area, so I know they're more fragile. I wear a bun most of the time (usually middle to low bun). But the front of my hair has never really been long enough to go into the ponytail holder. So that wouldn't be the issue. I tie my hair down with a satin scarf just about everyday. Surely that wouldn't have done it. :perplexed

I don't know what could be causing it. Any ideas??

ETA: Oh hair stats: Texlaxed 4a, coarse strands (fine in hairline area)

What are you using to put smooth your hair back in a bun? It could be your brush if you are using one.

Hmmm....didn't think of that. I do use a brush. It's a 100% boar bristle brush though.

That could be the culprit. I have a 100% boar bristle brush and I use it very rarely when wearing buns. I try and do most of the smoothing by hand and then use the brush lightly. The bristles are soft also. Make sure you don't brush too hard.

Do you do wet buns and brush your hair while wet?

Yeah. Like once a week when I wash. The rest of the week I'm just touching it up.

I think I know what your problem is. Your hair in that area is fine and hair is weak when wet. If you brush that area it will most likely break because the brush may be slightly tugging and stretching the hair. You may have to change your technique. Use your big comb to detangle, try get the hair as smooth as possible with your hands and then use the scarf method. When the hair is nearly dry maybe 90% brush lightly. The hair should be stronger since it is nearly dry.

You may also want to try a really soft tooth brush for smoothing.

I think I know what your problem is. Your hair in that area is fine and hair is weak when wet. If you brush that area it will most likely break because the brush may be slightly tugging and stretching the hair. You may have to change your technique. Use your big comb to detangle, try get the hair as smooth as possible with your hands and then use the scarf method. When the hair is nearly dry maybe 90% brush lightly. The hair should be stronger since it is nearly dry.

You may also want to try a really soft tooth brush for smoothing.

Thanks Kellum. This morning I just smooth with my hands and I have my scarf on. We'll see how this turns out. I'm scared. :lol: I just never thought I'd be able to get my hair smooth without a brush. :ohwell:

The brush that I use does have soft bristles. Actually, so soft that I do brush pretty hard. Not really in the area where it's broken though, but on my edges. I have two boar brushes; one hard, one soft. I use the hard one to smooth out the hair underneath (if it's bumpy) about once a week, and the soft one everyday.

OP I am right >HERE< with you. I now have a scraggly front "bang" from breakage. And I have no idea why. Someone suggested to me that it was my boar bristle brush. But I've had that brush since high school and I love it. Nevertheless I am using a fine toothed comb to smooth my hair back into my buns for the time being.

Now I did use permanent color for the first time in over 10 years about 3 months ago. I think that might also be what happened (color + relaxer).

OP I am right >HERE< with you. I now have a scraggly front "bang" from breakage. And I have no idea why. Someone suggested to me that it was my boar bristle brush. But I've had that brush since high school and I love it. Nevertheless I am using a fine toothed comb to smooth my hair back into my buns for the time being.

Now I did use permanent color for the first time in over 10 years about 3 months ago. I think that might also be what happened (color + relaxer).

Ooh yeah. Color + relaxer may have. And I have so many different textures in my texlaxed hair that I wondered if the breakage was from that. I'll give the brush a break for right now though.

And my "smoothing" with my hands didn't turn out very well. :lol: I didn't use gel though; just water. Tomorrow I'll try it with gel and see what happens.

Any other suggestions ladies??

try a baby brush!! i love my baby brush-it's cute and gentle and pink..:grin:
SBS-345671

it's by Jilbere de Paris-same folks that made that shower comb that EVERYBODY has, and you can get it at sally's.

baby brush+lil bit of ecostyler+scarf for 10 mins=smoooooth bun:yep:

try a baby brush!! i love my baby brush-it's cute and gentle and pink..:grin:
SBS-345671

it's by Jilbere de Paris-same folks that made that shower comb that EVERYBODY has, and you can get it at sally's.

baby brush+lil bit of ecostyler+scarf for 10 mins=smoooooth bun:yep:

Thanks. Is Eco Styler better than Fantasia IC?

Are you using any scrunchies or elastic bands to make your buns? If so, is the breakage at that point where the band holds the hair?

Are you using any scrunchies or elastic bands to make your buns? If so, is the breakage at that point where the band holds the hair?

No, it's before the band. The front of my hair never really reached the ponytail holder in the first place.

I think it's the permanent color too. I noticed the same thing when I used permanent color several months ago, breakage. Now I am back to using semi-permenent color.

Back