Untraining/Training a Hair Part....

When I was probably 5 or so years old my parents "trained" a center part into my hair which made it easier to style. I feel like my hair is permanently set to grow with that part. Is there a way I can un-train it from growing this way or might that cause damage. I think I'll just try brushing it back for a while and see what happens lol...

I feel ya. I have a "trained" side part. Even when I try to hide it, it peeks through. When I wear my hair brushed back, the side where the part is appears much thinner. When I try to wear it in the middle, I have a cowlick where the side part should be. I can't get rid of that booger!:grin::nono:

Yes! I hate how when I brush the hair over it the center part will still show :rofl:, I'm afraid people will think I'm balding or something lol. So basically, I might just have to live with it :(?

It just takes time. You don't need to do anything special just refrain from parting in that area even when you are shampooing or cowashing. You have to patient and persistent though. You can't do it for a month or two and say forget it. You have to just stay with it until the part disappears. Over time your hair will get used to hanging a different way.

It just takes time. You don't need to do anything special just refrain from parting in that area even when you are shampooing or cowashing. You have to patient and persistent though. You can't do it for a month or two and say forget it. You have to just stay with it until the part disappears. Over time your hair will get used to hanging a different way.
^^^ITA, I have to consciously wear my hair, part my hair, not sleep in the same position, or whatever in various places to avoid hair training but it will eventually correct itself:yep:.

^^^ITA, I have to consciously wear my hair, part my hair, not sleep in the same position, or whatever in various places to avoid hair training but it will eventually correct itself:yep:.

When I was growing up I always had a center part and worn with 2 braids. And my hair is very dense but it would just fall to each side even after washing. I haven't work a center part in years. Even when I put in cornrows or twist I make sure I alway part off center.

Now I have to make sure I change my style up in my crown area. Parting of a triangular section in the crown and then styling seems to be working.

But I no longer have any "natural" parts as they used to call them.

My middle part is still here :rofl:. I googled untraining a hair part and found my old thread. I really want my part gone so this time I'm gonna get serious about it. I dont like how I look with a center part but when i want to part off to the side it looks screwy because that center part remains

Back