Unrefined shea butter (hot oil and as a pomade)

Sweet C

I recently ordered about 3lbs of unrefined shea butter from the ebay. I originally ordered some for my pregnant cousin, but noticed after I placed her's in a tin that I have a whole lot left that I can use. So I have to 2 questions:

1. Has anyone used unrefined shea butter for a hot oil treatment? If so, did you mix it with something, or did u just take a clunk of it and pop it in the microwave? What is the rest of your procedure for the hot oil treatment and how well do u like it?

2. I currently use it as a body moisturizer, so I was interested in possibly using it as a sort of grease on my scalp. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how did y like it? Was it too heavy and did u mix it with something else?

I use shea in all forms all over my body... I use it just raw as a "grease". Rub between my hands and put on my hair and scalp. I also mix with other stuff like castor oil, glycerin, coconut oil, etc... To use as a hot oil treatment I would probably mix w/some coconut oil, melt it and then apply. I apply to face and body either raw or mix w/other good stuff... I also use it in my homemade soap mixes... I love it... Its like my miracle moisturizer...:D

the last time i used it, i mixed with all my deep conditioners with palm oil and heated. it melted into my hair. i used it as a post-poo treatment hough. i also use it to seal in moisture after applying my daily moisturiser. i mixed mine with a little jojoba oil and a few drops of lavender EO

I use shea butter on my hair. I mix mine with jojoba oil to give it a smoother consistency. I really like this combination; it keeps my hair super moist.

I've used shea oil as a hot oil treatment, but it weighed my hair down. But I think it was a cheap oil mixed with other stuff. Go ahead, give it a try and post a review! ;)

I use shea butter on my hair. I use it alone & also mixed with aloe vera gel(shealoe). I have use it mixed with virgin coconut oil too. I think that it may solidify after you melt it & then put it in your hair. It may not be easy to wash out. I dunno never tried to use it as a hot oil treatment.

baglady215 said:
I've used shea oil as a hot oil treatment, but it weighed my hair down. But I think it was a cheap oil mixed with other stuff. Go ahead, give it a try and post a review! ;)

See, the thing is I am a bit scared to try the shea butter by itself, b/c when I did a test and stuck it in the microwave to melt. After I poured it out of the glass I had a hard time (well not that hard of a time, just a little longer time than my usual hot oil mixes) getting it out of the glass, so I just kind of automatically assumed that it needs to be mixed with something first. So I wanted to get feedback to see if anyone has tried it before I did.

I use Shea Butter when I wear twist. I usually melt it in the micro for about 2 minutes with coconut oil, aloe oil, rosemary and peppermint eo. I then put it in the refrig to harden and voila.

Back