Understanding Cowashes

Nella

Ladies,

I need some help understanding what a cowash is- please explain.

Also I bought the Mane n Tale from Arrow and am going to order the Shapley's M-T-G. I would like to know how to use this product. Am I to wash my hair or use as a leave in.

Anyhow, please help as best as you can as I tried to find directions running a search and wasn't successful.

Thanks a bunch!

co-wash is short for Conditioner Wash

A co-wash is simply when you use a conditioner instead of a shampoo. Many people choose to do this because shampoos might strip their hair of moisture, and using conditioner is generally more gentle. Co washes work for some, but not for others. I don't necessarily co wash because it leads to too much buildup on my hair and weighs it down. However, for some, co washes have been a great factor in retaining length and hair health. Some ladies wet their hair first, skip shampooing and go straight to applying conditioner, then rinsing it out. You could either wash the conditioner out immediately, or let it set for a while. Some ladies use a cheap conditioner for co wash and then follow it up with a deep condition. When I did co washes I found that applying the conditioner to my dry hair first, and then rinsing it out worked best. Just find out what works best for you.

MTG is used best on the scalp. I use it after I wash my hair since that helps rid my hair of the smell once it dries. It's VERY oily and has a strong odor so use sparingly. Also do a patch test first to make sure you aren't allergic to Sulfur...the active ingredient.

HTH

I will add that I only became successful at co-washing when I used conditioners that are 'cone free in order to avoid rapid buildup.

I recently purchase "Curly Girl" which explains the whole CW thing. The one thing I didn't think about until I read it was the fact that the harsh detergents in shampoo are left behind after rinsing, even when you think you've rinsed well. The analogy they used was a sponge, if you add soap to it, then try to rinse, it seems no matter how much you rinse out the sponge, there are always "suds" being produced when you ring it out. It says our hair is like a sponge in that it absorbs and holds on to what we put in it. I never really looked at it this way when it comes to shampooing...

Anyways, I CW, and partially rinse the conditioner out, leaving some in.

so1913 said:
I recently purchase "Curly Girl" which explains the whole CW thing. The one thing I didn't think about until I read it was the fact that the harsh detergents in shampoo are left behind after rinsing, even when you think you've rinsed well. The analogy they used was a sponge, if you add soap to it, then try to rinse, it seems no matter how much you rinse out the sponge, there are always "suds" being produced when you ring it out. It says our hair is like a sponge in that it absorbs and holds on to what we put in it. I never really looked at it this way when it comes to shampooing...

Anyways, I CW, and partially rinse the conditioner out, leaving some in.

I've heard this, on here I guess? So everyone who knows that they have porous hair may want to consider this fact.

Also, when I first began co-washing my scalp itched like CRAZY! But I kept trying & it's been over two years and I am still co-washing.

Back