Underprocessed Hair

Armyqt

I've noticed lately that many women here are complaining of underprocessed hair (me included). What do you all contribute this problem to? For me, I know that the particular relaxer I used wasn't strong enough and perhaps wasn't left on long enough? Here are a list of possible culprits:

1) Wrong strength relaxer
2) Not enough processing time
3) Adding oils to the relaxer for buffering
4) Hair that has build up
5) Hair cuticle being sealed with different products.

Now granted, there is nothing scientific about these, just probable causes. I would like to get to the bottom of this underprocessing mess going on, so we can avoid it in the future. Tell me what you think contributed to your underprocessing? I'm off to do some chemical research. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just posted my recent relaxing experience. The girl who put the relaxer in told me that my hair was very underprocessed. The reason my hair was underprocessed was because I started using mild relaxers and also washing it right after I put it in..which led to my hair being underprocessed.

For me I think it was the time factor. It was the first time doing it myself, and i was going for a texturized and not relaxed effect. I underestimated the amount of time I needed. I think I need to cut relaxing time by maybe 5 minutes under recommendation instead of 10.
also i took a chance on the motions oil instead of biting the bullet and getting the affirm.

excellent list armyqt. what about inadequate smoothing or is that number 2? also, if the basing petrolem gets in the hair, instead of the scalp only, it can impede the progress of the relaxer.

so number 5 means that the ACV should be avoided a week prior to relaxing.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pandora said:
excellent list armyqt. what about inadequate smoothing or is that number 2? also, if the basing petrolem gets in the hair, instead of the scalp only, it can impede the progress of the relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Pandora, we can add inadequate smoothing to the list also. Good point on the ACV as it does seal the cuticle. I'm trying to gather some more concrete info and post on this thread.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pandora said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think #4 and 5 are the same thing. I don't think ACV would have any affect on relaxing since it brings the hair's Ph to a normal range for hair. Also, ACV is supposed to close the cuticle, the same as cold water. Since relaxing dissolves the cuticle (lye and no lye to different extents), closing the cuticle, if it exists, shouldn't matter, should it?

I think "inadequate smoothing" is a good one. Most of the items listed can be lumped under "lack of experience", but that is something that will change over time, hopefully.

excellent thread!!

I would have to attribute my underprocess to using the wrong BRAND and strength of relaxer.. I have used mild in the past, but Motions oil Mild is ridiculous! ..I will continue to use mild strength relaxers though, as i've never experinced this with any other brand.

Also Option 6, that curlycrly bought up, uneven application.

Someone also mentioned recently on the board that thier hairdress stated that perhaps that special time of the month can have a bearing. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

they said that the scalp is more likely to be sensitive (hence increased chance of burning hence more likely that the relaxer will have to be washed out earlier than necessary) during menstruation.

I think the time factor was my bigest down-fall, also I used Motion Oil(mild). I second Beana's comment(it's ridiculous). /images/graemlins/frown.gif

My biggest downfall with underprocessing is applying the relaxer myself, and not being able to see all of the sections where I was applying it. If you can afford it, go to a professional to get a relaxer.

I think my hair is underprocessed...it gets frizzy very easly, and to avoid the puffy look i have to wash my hair more often and wet set it to get smooth, straight hair.
about 2 and half moths ago my hair was texturized but 5 weeks after that i decided to get it relaxed but i think my hairdresser used a mild relaxer cause after 2 days it looked like i didnt get my hair toched up /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Armyqt, don't forget to add use of no lye relaxers to this list. That's what led to my underprocessing.

CurlyCrly said:
I think you can add:

6) Uneven application of the relaxer
Ditto. I thought my stylist was doing the dang thing by with her half n' half method, rinsing out my back while still smoothing my front WRONG... Last month I gave myself a rollerset one week after my touch-up and noticed my entire front has been underprocessed :( She has not been leaving the relaxer on long enough in the front of my hair :mad:

My underprocessing was caused by the stylist uneven application of the relaxer and inadequate smoothing. This has caused me so much breakage because the middle third of the length of my hair is underprocessed and it gets easily tangled and snaps. I am too scared to do a corrective relaxer so I'm just going to grow it out while I have wear braids this year.

Now that I've found a good stylist, my hair has been properly relaxed so I'm going to try to be consistent to avoid this in the future.

Hey Army :wave:

For me it's definitely the relaxer processing time because my relaxer is DEFINITELY strong enuf :)

I have this one section in the back of my head, actually it's the whole nape area, that I have intentionally been processing a much shorter time (about 5 mins) and now it's grown out so much but it's wavy all the way down in some places. I'm happy it's healthy now, but to fix this, I'm going to relax the whole area for about 10 minutes the next time I relax. I've done that before and it cured me of having underprocessed hair. Then I won't relax the nape area again for about 6 months, and then only the new growth.

SG

Last edited:
Back