Ummmm, the Croc Flatiron...sigh

Je Ne Sais Quoi

So, for those that have the infrared Croc, did you notice that your hair texture loosened up? Crap! i think that i damaged my hair. I'm hoping that the texture comes back after a few washes but i think that my hair has been loosened up quite a bit by this iron. What say you?

oh brother. gosh, I hope not. I was gonna buy this for myself and actually spend more than $20 on a flatiron for the first time.
bumping for more input.

i use it to heat train :look: and i'm relaxed, lol, so yeah the texture did loosen (the ends aren't as straight as i'd like and i ALWAYS dc prior to flat ironing, i don't even do it often)

but ot, quick question, does the infrared one actually have a red light? Cause i have the croc 2 but i dunno if it's infrared

You know, I don't think it has a red light but one side of one of the plates is red I believe. I don't think my hair is damaged but it feels so moisturized and soft. Its the weirdest thing. I'm wondering if somehow this thing is moisturizing my hair. My hair has never been as silky and shiny when using ANY other iron. But whilst my hair is softer the texture has loosened up. It will be interesting to see if this is temporary.

Anyone else use this and can lend insight?

Your texture is probably looser because the iron is helping to make it softer - you'd get the same effect from a good deep condition. If you stop using it all together for about a month your hair is likely to draw back up to it's normal tightness.

What temp did you use it on? I used it on 410 and my texture did not loosen. I will agree though - my hair did feel more moisturized, which was very weird to me! But I had never straightened before, so I'm not sure if it was really the iron or all the Dc'ing I was doing when I went back to curly, lol!

Try a protein treatment and see if your hair springs back.

Tiye that is what I was thinking as well. Pixie I used the iron at the highest temp with protectant. Reason being my hair is always so dry and coarse. My hair has become so soft even after washing. I'm thinking that it must be very moisturized. I'm guessing after a few washes it will be back to my normal naps like tiye suggested. This iron is incredible. Next time I will use it on a slightly lower temp though.

Tiye that is what I was thinking as well. Pixie I used the iron at the highest temp with protectant. Reason being my hair is always so dry and coarse. My hair has become so soft even after washing. I'm thinking that it must be very moisturized. I'm guessing after a few washes it will be back to my normal naps like tiye suggested. This iron is incredible. Next time I will use it on a slightly lower temp though.

Yea, I think my ends would have been straighter if I used higher heat, but anything over 420 is basically guaranteed to result in damage:

Stage 3: Between 215 and 235 degrees C ( 419-455F)
The keratin in hair has a natural twist to it knows as an alpha helix (α-helix). This twist is present in all keratin, whether straight hair or curly hair. At this stage the helices of the hair protein melt (not reversible).

GREAT INFO PIXIE!!! Is that a section of a larger document you can share?

OP- I recall many people on the board saying that their hair texture changed a few years into being natural and they atrributed it to finally reaching their optimal moisture balance so I wouldn't be too quick to call it heat damage unless you have some straight ends. HTH!!

Sure is! This is a piece from The Natural Haven on Heat Straightening. I've also been reading chemistry books on hair and heat DOES break the bonds in the hair much like a relaxer if the heat is too high - however, relaxers break disulfide bonds and I believe heat breaks hydrogen bonds and when the heat is too high they do not reform in the same manner.

THE NATURAL HAVEN: Straightening Facts:How hot is too hot?

Great info!!!
Well I will see how it goes. I have about five or six inches left of relaxed hair. My kinks are still there in my natural hair but my hair is not coarse and dry like it used to be. I am curious to see how long this lasts

Wow, this is very interesting. Keep us posted Bre! I'd try a protein treatment too see if your texture returns, that is what usually happens to me (I'm not natural but 14 month post relaxer).

BTW, you are looking fab in your siggie!

Wow, this is very interesting. Keep us posted Bre! I'd try a protein treatment too see if your texture returns, that is what usually happens to me (I'm not natural but 14 month post relaxer).

BTW, you are looking fab in your siggie!
Thanks for the compliment! I will try a protein treatment and report back in a few weeks. I will bet this is temporary

My stylist used this Croc flat iron on my hair at 450 degrees :look: and I had no heat damage. She did load me up with heat protectant though - all Bumble & Bumble products.

Was this the first time you used it?

My stylist used this Croc flat iron on my hair at 450 degrees :look: and I had no heat damage. She did load me up with heat protectant though - all Bumble & Bumble products.

Was this the first time you used it?

That was the 2nd time i used it. I cranked mine up to 450 as well. The reason was because my flat iron did absolutely nothing for my hair so i figured this would do the same. Boy was i wrong :lol: This iron is the truth. Going forward i will use the iron at like410 or 420.

YES!!!!!! Very very silky and shiny. I have never had that with any flat iron i've used in the past (Sedu, maxiglide, etc)

Oh Lawd, I feel so tempted. My hair looks a little dull when I straighten it and I hate loading it with product...plus I need a new flat iron...the PJ in me is creeping up.

Oh Lawd, I feel so tempted. My hair looks a little dull when I straighten it and I hate loading it with product...plus I need a new flat iron...the PJ in me is creeping up.

don't crank up the heat too high initially. That was my mistake for thinking it was not going to work. I think you will love this iron.

Hey Kandake :) Yes, that is the one I have. I'm going to cowash tonight and see if there is any difference. This will be wash #2. I'm hoping by 3 or 4 my hair is back to normal. If it is, this thing is really the truth for sealing in moisture.

Hey girlie :wave:...

I hope your hair goes back to normal.

But uh, I'm seriously thinking about getting this flatiron. I'm intrigued.

Hey girlie :wave:...

I hope your hair goes back to normal.

But uh, I'm seriously thinking about getting this flatiron. I'm intrigued.

I hope so too. I miss my naps. Well, i cowashed and my natural hair seemed to kind of be coming back, but the 5 or 6 inches of relaxed hair i have left (i'm transitioning) is stringy. Yikes :( I will give it a few more washes. If it's screwed up it was my own fault and at least i can keep growing my hair out. I may end up cutting these last few inches earlier than what I had planned. :)

This iron is the truth though. Just don't crank it up too high.

I just bought this iron and it is awesome! I am almost natural and I live in Florida and got caught outside after a thunderstorm... My hair was still straight after the humidity hit it. On top of that, my hair was super silky and moisturized after using it. I previously used a CHI, FHI,GHD, and a Hana elite. NONE compare to this iron. I bought it at ulta for $100. I got the non infrared iron but it's still the bomb!

I just bought this iron and it is awesome! I am almost natural and I live in Florida and got caught outside after a thunderstorm... My hair was still straight after the humidity hit it. On top of that, my hair was super silky and moisturized after using it. I previously used a CHI, FHI,GHD, and a Hana elite. NONE compare to this iron. I bought it at ulta for $100. I got the non infrared iron but it's still the bomb!
The croc is what's up. i've owned tons of irons over the years and NOTHING has ever compared! I straighten my hair maybe once every 2 months or so and it just gets my hair so silky straight :yep:

Back