UMMM im scared...

HairTemptress

Hello lovely ladies of Long Hair Care Forum..i need your help
i am currently 7 mo. post relaxer and my hair is driving me insane. i just recently got my hair blown out by the dominicans and it was so nerve wracking. They commented the entire tome about how much i needed a perm. you noe how it is.."mami you need a perm, dis no good. Hair break!".:grin:. i was just laughn to myself. But i was no longer laughn by the time the person doing my hair had to call another person over to help to straightn my hair. Because my hair was just that thick.:perplexed

So its been like two weeks and i need to wash my hair cause its now dirty. And im scared becasue my hair is so unmaginable. i can wash my hair and it will be ok to get through with a comb when its wet. As soon as i step out of the shower my hair dries.. like it take 10 mins:nono:. and to make it worse my new growth dries hard and tangled. And the rest of my hair dries rough and not soft at all. and i look like a HAM. any suggestions im like at my wits end. not being able to handle my newgrowth is gonna force me to perm before i want to.
Do i need to clarify??
Is my hair to Porous??
Is the products im using??..I feel like i have tried everything.:wallbash:

Ummm clairfying, I'm not sure, Over Porous Hair: Porosity refers to the hair's ability, or inability, to absorb water or chemicals deep into the cuticle layers and cortex. All hair is naturally porous and somewhat permeable to water.

Low or "poor porosity" refers to hair that does not readily absorb moisture and resists chemical treatments. Poor porosity is not exactly a problem that should cause you great concern. It is, however, ideal to have hair that falls somewhere in the middle of the two porosity extremes: hair with good porosity that retains moisture well and accepts chemical treatments.

The following questions will help you determine whether or not your hair is overly porous:

Does your hair continuously soak in moisture without ever actually feeling moisturized?
Is your hair chronically dry despite your best conditioning efforts?
Does your hair appear/feel puffy, frizzy, swollen, or tough to the touch?
Does your hair have a natural, reddish toned cast to it that is usually more pronounced in spring and summer time?
Does your hair hold styles and curl well?

If you've answered yes to any of the above hair characteristics, and these characteristics appear more pronounced toward the ends of your hair, you may have a problem with your hair's porosity level.

This is copied and pasted from Sistaslick's articles.....read more at http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189
/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

If that doesn't work then type in Sistaslick in the search engine and she will pop up.

7 months post, are you transitioning? For starters what is your regimen? And what products do you use now?

@ Slantedeyez: I am not transitioning.. i was away at school and where i was going to college a relaxer is way more money than i was willing to spend. My regime is pretty simple, i wash once a week with Creme Of Nature shampoo, condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk and Deep Condition with Giovanni . Maybe twice a week i cowash with Giovanni conditioner or H&E. i mousterize with Triple Moisture,put in a bun and go on my way. I have tried everything that has the name moisture in the title to help moisture my hair.. but im at my wits end.

I was thinking about using Porosity Control.. but what product do i use and how??

You might need a protein reconstructor. Protein helps your hair retain moisture when used together. Aphogee 2 minute miracle is a fav with many of the ladies here.

I'm two months post and I have had a lot of luck by finishing with an apple cider vinegar rinse...it does basically the same thing as the Porosity Control (but cheaper) and I really have a much easier time combing my new growth once I've used that. I do agree you should try the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, too.

Protein Protein Protein is going to make those strands strong to prevent breakage. SlantedEyesMiss...also hit the nail on the head. You may want to check your porosity. This was my problem as well.

Cowashing more frequently and doing light protein treatments will help you tremendously.

Slantedeyez gave good advice. I personally like to use Roux Porosity Control shampoo & conditioner on a regular basis in an upkeep/preventative manner.

@SEMO you use both shampoo and conditioner, is that neccessary??.. How do you incorporate the Roux into your regime.. is that all you use on washday or do you mix??

@ Supermodel: it has been a long stretch because mainly i was at college. and payn a hundred somthing to get relaxed did not work for my pocketbook.

i had the same issue at college
so i would wait to come back to trusty ny to get a relaxer for a reasonable price but 7 months damnnnn
its been 10 weeks and im having the issues you are having
can you just go home on the weekend and get your hair relaxed? is it too far?

i had the same issue at college
so i would wait to come back to trusty ny to get a relaxer for a reasonable price but 7 months damnnnn
its been 10 weeks and im having the issues you are having
can you just go home on the weekend and get your hair relaxed? is it too far?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you should go ahead and relax. I think 7 months is VERY COMMENDABLE, and it sounds like your hair will thank you!!!

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you should go ahead and relax. I think 7 months is VERY COMMENDABLE, and it sounds like your hair will thank you!!!

Sounds like it! Have you considered letting the Dominicans that did your blow out do it? They are normally very reasonable.

anything else..help ladies!!!

Apple Cider Vinegar. Dilute it w/ water (i do half and half), then spray on my hair and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I put my DC right on top of it and sit under the dryer with heat for 30 minutes. I rinse well with water and then add more conditioner to clean my scalp. This really helps me.

Also, coconut oil and EVOO are oils that are really good to mix into your conditioners (choose the EVOO as it's less expensive and you can get it from the grocery store). These oils absorb into the hair strand, and it really makes a good conditioner better (for me anyway).

Also, when you're away at college, you might consider buying a couple bottles of products that naturals just love. Based on recommendation, I'd suggest you try a bottle of Hair Milk from Karen's Body Beautiful. It makes your hair really soft and will help you retain moisture.

ACV does work for me, though. It's affordable and easy to try. Don't be afraid to doctor up your conditioners too.

I agree; if your hair is breaking and you are not transitioning, the stretch has probably lasted long enough :yep:
First, however, try the ACV rinse recommended; I'm transitioning and it's helped me around 6 months post and might help you manage your hair until you relax.
Have you considered doing your own relaxer in order to save some money?

my hair is not breaking. the newgrowth is insane,it wont stay moisturized at all. neitehr will the rest of my hair. Because my hair wont stay moisturized, my hair has become VERY hard to deal with. And i love cowashing my hair but knowing i have to face my hair just makes me not want to do it.

Concerning the ACV rinse what kind do you use, can i get it at any regular supermarket?

@ Octolove: do you soak your hair?.. how thorough are you with the spraying of the ACV??

Thankx in advance yall

Have you tried a different deep conditioner? Like maybe a richer, thicker one. Maybe the Giovanni isn't strong enough. The old formula of ORS Replenishing might be worth trying.

Have you thought of maybe self relaxing? You can get a box relaxer at Wal-mart for $6. Get your roommate to help you. 7 months is too dang long to go if you are not transitioning. Underprocess it on purpose even, if you are scared. At least it will be easier to handle.
As for keeping the NG soft the only thing that works for me is applying water based moisturizer to my hair and scalp in small sections. I make small parts just like when I apply a relaxer. And I am heavy handed with it.
If your hair is drying in 10 minutes you probably need something to control its porosity.

Also, you can try adding some EVOO to your DC to help with softness.

@SEMO you use both shampoo and conditioner, is that neccessary??.. How do you incorporate the Roux into your regime.. is that all you use on washday or do you mix??

@ Supermodel: it has been a long stretch because mainly i was at college. and payn a hundred somthing to get relaxed did not work for my pocketbook.

In the past I have used both the shampoo & conditioner together. But to me, the shampoo is the product that really does the work and that's what I use now. I probably shouldn't have said I use both (since I haven't used the conditioner in awhile). Nothing shall part me from my Dove Intense Moisture conditioner (it is a slam dunk, lifetime staple in my routine--unless they re-formulate or discontinue it).

I usually use two shampoos when I wash my hair (one for the first lather and a different one for the second lather). What two shampoos I use depend on what my hair needs, but I usually use the Porosity Control for the second lather. I then follow it up with my Dove conditioner.

Back