Um, my "satin" turban is 100% polyester!

Um, okay, so today I opened up one of those "satin" turbans that I'd purchased a while ago from the bss, and it had the nerve to have a tag stuck in it that reads "100% Polyester" :rolleyes:. They are wrong for that, and you know, I kind of suspected that they were doing this. On the package, it clearly reads SATIN TURBAN. So at this point, my question is, is polyester kind to the hair, and do you think I will be okay using it or should I really try to find a real satin scarf?

Firstly, I'm sorry that you were faked out but your thread title tickled me pink!:p :lol: Thank you for the laugh!

(going to check my BSS "satin" (sateen?) scarf:perplexed)

And go get a REAL satin scarf and you can also get a satin pillowcase.

I think you shold assume all of those hair scarves are polyester unless it says 100% silk. I have one too that said satin scarf but I knew it was not because of how it felt. I don't think it matters though, as long as your hair glides on it.

satin refers to the finish (glossy/shiney surface and a dull back) of the fabric not the actual fabric itself, i've seen satin silk, rayon and polyester

i have satin scarfs that are not silk and they don't dry my hair out, your hair will be fine

anatomicallycorrect said:
Um, okay, so today I opened up one of those "satin" turbans that I'd purchased a while ago from the bss, and it had the nerve to have a tag stuck in it that reads "100% Polyester" :rolleyes:. They are wrong for that, and you know, I kind of suspected that they were doing this. On the package, it clearly reads SATIN TURBAN. So at this point, my question is, is polyester kind to the hair, and do you think I will be okay using it or should I really try to find a real satin scarf?

Oh yes...my new Dream brand...."satin jumbo sleep cap" of the "satin material, superior quality", the "world's #1 brand" is also 100% polyester:lachen::lachen:..made in China. The weave looks fine enough not to catch strands but I'll see.

I used to worry a/b that, so I just went to Joann's Fabric store and cut me 2 huge blocks of really pretty (check my fotki) silk swatches (maybe 33x33 inch) and called it a day :cool:. My hair's been better for it.

Your title is cute!:lol:

I'm curious though, maybe one of you smart ladies can help me out.

100% cotton with a high thread count, say 800 and up, can feel better than silk sometimes, I mean my hair and skin just slip over it. I don't cover my hair at night but I do make somewhat of an effort to use satin or silk pillowcases. I'm wondering if it would be better (and less work) to just use the high thread count cotton ones instead.

destiny616 said:
satin refers to the finish (glossy/shiney surface and a dull back) of the fabric not the actual fabric itself, i've seen satin silk, rayon and polyester

i have satin scarfs that are not silk and they don't dry my hair out, your hair will be fine
:lol: @ the topic title; it's really cute.

I was just about to say what destiny616 said. Polyester is not a very absorbent material (which cotton is BTW), so it's an effective, durable, and low-cost alternative to silk. The main difference being that polyester doesn't breathe the way silk does, so if you're menopausal and have heavy night sweats polyester *might* make you feel hotter. All things considered though, you should be OK using your 100% polyester turban.

Thanks for all of your replies, ladies! Thanks for those who thought my title was cute, LOL! :p
Well, I'll feel okay about using the turban but I'll probably try and get some cute silk scarves at some point.

artemis_e. said:
I used to worry a/b that, so I just went to Joann's Fabric store and cut me 2 huge blocks of really pretty (check my fotki) silk swatches (maybe 33x33 inch) and called it a day :cool:. My hair's been better for it.
Good idea...on my way to Joann's :) PS. Artemis, you and I are hair/texture twins. My hair is also fine fine fine and delicate and those ends ugh...I'm with you- NOT cuting until I reach my goal :)

See,That's Why I Don't Buy Those Scarfs From The Bss Anymore:lol: What I Did Is Went To The Thrift Store And Bought Those Old Fashion Scarfs Which Said 100% Silk For $2:) I Have About 6 Of Em Too:D

Even a 100% silk fabric with a "rough" finish can snag hair. So long the finish is nice and smooth, even cheap polyester satin finish scarfs are fine, IMO. RE: threadcount, anything 300tc or more is smooth enough not to worry me too much. I focus on the smoothness of the finish more than the fabric itself. All that said, I DO have me quite a few real silk scarfs with satin finish from my paranoid days . . .

Golong said:
Good idea...on my way to Joann's :) PS. Artemis, you and I are hair/texture twins. My hair is also fine fine fine and delicate and those ends ugh...I'm with you- NOT cuting until I reach my goal :)

That's what's up! :D
Off to go stalk...er, um look at your Fotki :lol:

Neroli said:
Even a 100% silk fabric with a "rough" finish can snag hair. So long the finish is nice and smooth, even cheap polyester satin finish scarfs are fine, IMO. RE: threadcount, anything 300tc or more is smooth enough not to worry me too much. I focus on the smoothness of the finish more than the fabric itself. All that said, I DO have me quite a few real silk scarfs with satin finish from my paranoid days . . .

That's true. I spent hours in that fabric store looking for the softest silk I could find. It was a little difficult, actually, but I am happy w/my purchase. I used to have a HUGE old school scarf and would wear it to class everyday (I know, I know) but then I lost it on campus...a very sad day. These are now my fave scarfs.

atrinibeauty said:
See,That's Why I Don't Buy Those Scarfs From The Bss Anymore:lol: What I Did Is Went To The Thrift Store And Bought Those Old Fashion Scarfs Which Said 100% Silk For $2:) I Have About 6 Of Em Too:D

So THAT'S where you can find them! Silly me, I had been looking all up and through Wally World like a dummy :lol: I gotta go check that out. Can never have too many scarfs (can you tell I'm a PJ?? :lachen:)

artemis_e. said:

Great idea:)

camellia said:
Your title is cute!:lol:

I'm curious though, maybe one of you smart ladies can help me out.

100% cotton with a high thread count, say 800 and up, can feel better than silk sometimes, I mean my hair and skin just slip over it. I don't cover my hair at night but I do make somewhat of an effort to use satin or silk pillowcases. I'm wondering if it would be better (and less work) to just use the high thread count cotton ones instead.

I'm curious about this too. I am going to buy sheets in the next little bit and really want to get another two sets of the high thread count cotton because they feel so lovely. DH likes them too. I've a set a 100% cotton sateen with a thread count of 850 that are smoother than my satin pillowcase. They're even almost as shiny as the satin pillowcase.

What do you ladies think? It's kind of a lot of money (which I never begrude myself :lol: ), but I would like to know for sure the sheets won't pull or break my hair.

Thoughts...

newflowers said:
I'm curious about this too. I am going to buy sheets in the next little bit and really want to get another two sets of the high thread count cotton because they feel so lovely. DH likes them too. I've a set a 100% cotton sateen with a thread count of 850 that are smoother than my satin pillowcase. They're even almost as shiny as the satin pillowcase.

What do you ladies think? It's kind of a lot of money (which I never begrude myself :lol: ), but I would like to know for sure the sheets won't pull or break my hair.

Thoughts...

I'm kinda a "sheet freak" and will spend some serious $$$ on good beddings! I have several sets are 1000tc and above that are awesome, smooth as silk, literally. BUT the type of fabric can be as important as the tc. For example, I have a 400tc set that is smoother and feels better than a 1000tc because the 400tc is made with eqyptian cotton. IMO, the best sheets are those made with egyptian cotton with tc of 350 or more. My best set is an eqyptian cotton 1000tc, simply heaven! FYI, www.overstock.com and www.smartbargains.com are two places that I shop online for great deals. . . .

Of course, all these can be tossed in washer and dryer, no problem and actually feels smoother as time goes by, never gets old or worn, just nice and more comfy, like fine leather over time . . .

Last edited:
destiny616 said:

To the OP I agree. Ive seen soem of them not say satin but they advertise as so. I try to get the satin.

I've been thinking they were not satin.

Now, this is confirmation.

But as the bolded say, they dont dry out my hair.

Back