Ultra Black Hair Products - Have you Tried?

It's amazing how may people got their start from Cathy. I had absolutely no idea. My search for hair help began the same as many of yours...I read her book and was totally enlightened. I found LHCF because of her. I love her deep conditioner. The best way I have found to use it is as a pre-poo mixed with AO GPB. Whoever it was that posted this regimen...I love you!!!!:love:

This is true. I have used some of her products but later found better ones.

I will always admire her for her research and business savy. She was the first in her family to go college and get a degree in marketing.

I think what has turned a lot off people off is the way she has answered some of the questions from her customers.

Rule number one. If you want to keep your customers, you have got to treat them with the utmost respect. Since she has been in business there are more products to chose from that ever before. Some are even better. Her competition right now is really stiff.

I have seem some women keep going to the same beautician for years not because she was the best hairstylist but because they liked her.

However, I do respect the knowledge she has contributed to black hair care. She definantly deserves recognition.

Last edited:
Like everyone else in the thread, I learned my "initial" hair tips from Cathy. I've read her book and used her products...I currently only use the deep conditioner from her line. I did find out about this site after doing a search (for an unbiased review of her products)...so yes Cathy led me to this site. Her first book (the one that contains the original deep conditioner recipe) was published over 20 years ago...She does gets a bad rep (I've read all the older and newer threads on here :look:) but her tips really are common sense (things you knew but forgot or maybe it was something you didn't know or didn't figure out) and had I not found her website I would probably still be in the dark when it comes to hair health and growth. I have to give credit where it is due...

Last edited:
Alli77 said:
Innersoul, Serenity I just had to put how I feel out there. Lately I've been seen a lot of Cathy Bashing from people who know little about her method/not read the book. I say live and let live, it obviously works for some because she's a millionaire several times over and she's a one woman show. I have her book and several others too (Shamboosie, Dr. Akbari) I refer to all of them from time to time to brush up on my knowledge.

Sareca, the shipping thing is the only thing that kills it for me. If they sold these products at Sallys...heck the Asian BSS even, I would get it! I heard a rumor a couple years ago about her trying to get the product mass distributed I hope it happens soon.

Really?! That would be great. Not only am I tired of paying for shipping I'm tired of waitin' on the UPS man. :ohwell:

Yellowflowers said:
This is true. I have used some of her products but later found better ones.

I will always admire her for her research and business savy. She was the first in her family to go college and get a degree in marketing.

I think what has turned a lot off people off is the way she has answered some of the questions from her customers.

Rule number one. If you want to keep your customers, you have got to treat them with the utmost respect.

I have seen some women keep going to the same beautician for years not because she was the best hairstylist but because they liked her.

However, I do respect the knowledge she has contributed to black hair care.
Exactly. Attitude is everything and sometimes her tone seems a little nasty.:ohwell: But Ive seen her testimonials and some before and after pics that some customers sent in and I was impressed, to say the least.

Lanelle said:
Like everyone else in the thread, I learned my "initial" hair tips from Cathy. I've read her book and used her products...I currently only use the deep conditioner from her line. I did find out about this site after doing a search (for an unbiased review of her products)...so yes Cathy led me to this site. Her first book (the one that contains the original deep conditioner recipe) was published over 20 years ago...She does gets a bad rep (I've read all the older and newer threads on here :look:) but her tips really are common sense (things you knew but forgot or maybe it was something you didn't know or didn't figure out) and had I not found her website I would probably still be in the dark when it comes to hair health and growth. I have to give credit where it is due...[/quote]

This was nicely said Lanelle...:)

alli77 said:
I've used just about all of her products and they are all very good, but I'm fond of the UBH Conditioner, it's one of the best deep conditioners out there. I feel like Cathy gets a bad rep, and I do feel it's unfair. Prior to all the hair sites and long hair movements Cathy was out there hustling to get the word out that Black women can have long hair. People are always saying oh...she's trying to push her line of products. Wouldn't you? I would push my own line of products too, unlike mega conglomorates like Soft-Sheen Carson, Revlon, and Loreal, Cathy is a one woman show that "pushes" all but three products. And all these products IMO happen to be highly effective, she helped me pass shoulder lenght. This was the FIRST book/system that I've used to help me and she inadvertantly led me to LHCF.

Another nice one....

Last edited:
GlamourGirl said:
I agree. There has been alot of bashing towards her. I know that from my personal experience she's been nothing but nice to me and have only had pleasant email exchanges. I still think she's and inspiration and she, along with her products have helped my hair turnaround completely!

Oh my gosh, same here! Anytime I ever had a question, she always emailed me back and answered, even with notes I used to get with my order.

trimbride said:
Yes, Cathy Howse is the reason I found this board. I have tried all of her products. They are good but I have found things that are equivalent to her stuff in the stores.

Her conditioner is a medium/heavy protein - Aphogee, Nexxus Emergencee, and Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonaise. I sometimes add essential oils and oil to my conditioner.
Her moisturizer is nice smelling but I have found better Kids Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer and Silk Elements Cream Moisturizer
Her Dew is nice but I like S-Curl Texturizer spray

I have read her book, the key thing for me was to take iron supplements, don't brush the hair ever, wash the hair twice per week and deep condition each time with heat, and trimming every 4-6 weeks isn't necessary. That pretty much sums it up,

I agree. i tried all her products. They are ok but not worth the price. As was stated there are much cheaper equivalent brands.(** Dew is only glorified scurl & coconut oil). Its ok but don't waste your money.

Babygurl said:
Im another person that found the Cathy Howse site and read her book and that led me to LHCF...I have not used her products but have used homemade versions and of course have used most of her methods. Honestly I attribute my initial hair growing knowlegde to her. Thats where my obsession started.

I found her sight last November and currently use the Deep Conditioner and Dew. I'm still learning about what my hair likes and so far I'm happy with her products, and her books have helped with me learn the very basics, which what I needed.

I also was inspired by her too! I bought the book and all the products. I started on the Cathy Howse band wagon when i was about 17. Now I'm 21 and I still use all of her products except the dew. Like most it was too light for me. She pushed me to research things about black hair and finding others who wanted to grow there hair. Thats how I ended up here. I love the conditioner. And I do agree that sometimes she can be a lil rude but for the most part she was pleasant.

trimbride said:
Yes, Cathy Howse is the reason I found this board. I have tried all of her products. They are good but I have found things that are equivalent to her stuff in the stores.

Her conditioner is a medium/heavy protein - Aphogee, Nexxus Emergencee, and Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonaise. I sometimes add essential oils and oil to my conditioner.
Her moisturizer is nice smelling but I have found better Kids Organics Shea Butter Moisturizer and Silk Elements Cream Moisturizer
Her Dew is nice but I like S-Curl Texturizer spray

I have read her book, the key thing for me was to take iron supplements, don't brush the hair ever, wash the hair twice per week and deep condition each time with heat, and trimming every 4-6 weeks isn't necessary. That pretty much sums it up,

Hope This helps:)

I love your summary thanks for posting it.

mw138 said:
I was browsing the web and came across this website.

http://www.ubhpublications.com/index.html

Evidently, this lady grew her hair out using "common sense" methods and has since wrote a few books about her journey.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been to this site and used her products before? It seems like much of what she's saying I've learned right here at LHCF! It's too bad we can't all get together and write a book!

I also have some issues with some of her tips. She seems kind of dismissive to techniques that seem to help people with their hair growth.

What do you all think? :think:

That's how I got my start too! I started thinking about how much my hair grew and became healthy when I was using her products. I think that after I use my other products I may go back to them. They can be a little expensive, but by the time I add up all the other prices for things it's almost the same. Since I.'m in cosmetology school I do get a nice discount on my relaxer, but they don't have very many ethnic products in their beauty supply stores for professionals here in Arizona. Her book is what started me on my healthy hair journey. I'm thankful for her knowledge as well as some of my other haircare books and the ladies on this site as well. I too only got good responds from her emails. They say here in AZ to wash my hair once a week and I did that for a while, but I decided to go back to what was working for me and doing a con wash during the week and shampooing my hair on saturdays works best for me.

A friend gave me her book almost one year ago, and that's how we got started on our hair journey. We both have made a ton of progress, found the LHCF site, and now we will be BSL in early 2008 (if not sooner). I have never tried her products, so I am unable to comment on them.

Back