Ugh! I'm so sick of my fine hair!!

Crystalicequeen123

I really am starting to get fed up with my fine textured hair! :mad: It runs in my family, and it sucks. :(

I feel like no matter what I do (short of going natural or using a texturizer) my hair will never be "thick" with a normal reg. strength relaxer. I've eased up on the direct heat, and that has helped considerably. I have even stretched my relaxers to 11-13 weeks, and this has also aided in my growth. Taking my Vitamins daily (when I remember too!) work well too. :yep:

But I'm at the point now where I'm almost afraid to grow my hair TOO long because I just know it will look and feel so fly-away and thin. :nono: I feel like even merely touching it causes tangles and breakage. :ohwell:

I touched my friends hair last night, and she had such pretty THICK relaxed hair. She doesn't even do all the hair-care regimens that I do yet her hair still looks healthy, and it doesn't break or shed at any little thing.

When I touch my hair, my hair just breaks off and sheds... *cries* I don't know what to do! Is it my diet? What?

Look at the bright side, hon. With fine textured hair you can go longer between relaxers. My hair is really thick and I can't go longer than three months without a relaxer or it's like unleashing the beast:Devil:! Even when I do get a relaxer I can NEVER use a touch-up relaxer. I always run out. I use the whole container of regular relaxer just for my new growth. Also fine hair takes less time to dry, and you don't have to go through bottles and bottles of conditioner/hair-care products in a short amount of time. Just wanted to name some of the good points of your hair :yep:. But with fine textured hair you shouldn't brush it, or if you do severely cut down how much you brush your hair. It's very delicate. Keep it moisturized and hydrated (you can carry around a little spray bottle filled with some leave-in conditioner/oils whenever your hair feels dry). Also, If you use regular strength relaxers, you may want to use gentle strength or ones specifically for fine hair. It'll be much less harsh to your strands.

Last edited:
I really am starting to get fed up with my fine textured hair! :mad: It runs in my family, and it sucks. :(

I feel like no matter what I do (short of going natural or using a texturizer) my hair will never be "thick" with a normal reg. strength relaxer. I've eased up on the direct heat, and that has helped considerably. I have even stretched my relaxers to 11-13 weeks, and this has also aided in my growth. Taking my Vitamins daily (when I remember too!) work well too. :yep:

But I'm at the point now where I'm almost afraid to grow my hair TOO long because I just know it will look and feel so fly-away and thin. :nono: I feel like even merely touching it causes tangles and breakage. :ohwell:

I touched my friends hair last night, and she had such pretty THICK relaxed hair. She doesn't even do all the hair-care regimens that I do yet her hair still looks healthy, and it doesn't break or shed at any little thing.

When I touch my hair, my hair just breaks off and sheds... *cries* I don't know what to do! Is it my diet? What?

Okay, um were we seperated at birth? I have the same thoughts/feelings. My hair is healthy but VERY fragile and fine. I'm trying to grow it long but I'm wondering will it be fly away and scraggly looking.

I do see some positives to fine hair. It lays easier for one. I think Judge Hatchett has fine hair for example. I'm squeezing my brain to try and find more positives....

did you check out the fine hair support thread?

I cant give any advice because my hair is very coarse, but don't give up.
Kinikakes has fine hair and her hair has gottne thicker.

I have fine hair to and I hate it :bighug: to you I know how you feel I have been using castor oil for about a long time and I haven't seen any difference yet, I am thinking about trying henna to see if it will help

I have that problem too. It sucks. I see people with pretty thick lush hair and I know mines will never look like that. I thought my hair would thicken up by going natural but it hasn't. I'm just glad I don't have problems with breakage anymore.

Don't fret my fine-haired sista! This is something I have wondered about as well. I think we just have to be even that much more delicate with our hair to achieve the lengths that our thick haired sisters have achieved. I'm going to have to co-sign with the two previous posters about Castor Oil. That stuff has finally made my wispy raggedy ends look like hair again.:yep:

Yes castor oil help me some, and I went from thick to very fine thin hair as a result from being severly ill and the medicine I had to take and currently take. I am touching the top of the BS and I love my hair though, it looks it best 3 weeks after a relaxer, currently I am one week post and I will post pics in my fokti tonight to show how it looks. But health is the main thing, I can't get my thickness back but I can maintain the health.

Crystal, STOP!!! :stop: Hating your hair puts you at odds with yourself, setting you up for self-sabotage. You've got to develop a love and appreciation for your hair, so that it will love you back.

I have 4a/b super-fine hair as well. I've joked that if I look at my hair and cross my eyes, it would tangle!!! I feel ya frustration, though, believe me. Loving my hair, and looking forward to having it thump against my midback while I walk my dog is thrilling. Visualize your arms stretching out as you run the comb through its entire length in the shower.

My very first henna treatment strengthened and visibly thickened my strands. The castor oil works wonderfully, and it's helping me to retain length so that I can gradually dust away the damaged ends. Look to someone with fine strands and super length as a role model, and if she is kind enough to reply to you, correspond with her through PM to get tutoring one on one. Good luck, honey! You have a support base here.

As a natural with fine 3b/3c hair, I can understand where you are coming from. However, you have to fine what works for you and how to style your hair.

When I was relaxed, it was to fine for me, that's one of the reasons why I went natural. Although its still fine, it has thickened up with the use of BT ( I don't know about others, but it did for me).

When my hair is straight, I try not to put too many things in my hair that would weigh it down. There are light weight sprays that work well with our hair (ORS spray for example).

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I know I can always find support and helpful tips here. :hug2: I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who faces this dilemma. Yes I do take vitamins, but maybe not as religiously as I should. :look:

I know I shouldn't be hating the texture of my hair or be comparing my hair with my friends and what not, but sometimes it just gets so discouraging. I don't particularly want to go natural at this moment, but I don't always like the state of my hair weeks after my relaxer touch-up. :(

I know my hair isn't damaged (even my stylist has been remarking at how improved my hair has been getting lately), but I feel like it won't be able to retain length if it keeps tangling and breaking off so easily. :ohwell: I WANT long BS-length hair, but not if I have to wear my hair up 24/7 or treat my hair like a porcelain doll all the time. I don't know if it's worth all the trouble. Sometimes I feel like it's not fair that some women can do whatever to their hair and it still grows thick down to thier butt effortlessly, while I on the other hand am struggling just to maintain the length of my little fine textured shoulder-length hair from breaking. *sigh*

I will definitely try the Castor Oil however. I've never tried that before, but I've heard some ladies getting good results with it. :yep:

In the meantime I'll also look at the fine-haired support thread. Where is that located? I think some of the stickies have moved??

Last edited:

I know what you mean, I wish my hair were stronger...it's very fragile...I have to treat it like silk. Seems like most people can be pretty rough with their hair and not have much damage. I find that fortifying shampoos and conditioners work well with my hair, giving it body and srength. I can't use heavy protein, that's a no-no. My hair also loves products with Cermides in them.... I think I will always wear my hair layered in some way. Long bone straight one length hair will not work for me. I always reserve the right to purchase that type of hair !!

I just buy the store brand that Walmart sells and I use it on my ends to seal, just a little and also in my spray bottle and in my conditioner and I use it on my face and eyelashes.

Do you get that Castor is the mircle drug!!!!:grin:

yeah, that's my question too. vitamins and some MSM will thicken you right up!:yep:

Yeah, I am taking vitamins. :yep:

I usually take GNC's hair skin and nails, and MSM. I may also add Women's One A Day since I think I may need to get a little bit of iron in my diet. I noticed that my hair was barely shedding when I was taking this. I used to take biotin also, but I noticed that biotin was destroying my skin! :eek: Too many breakouts...my skin is still showing the after-effects. :nono:
So, no more internal biotin for me.

But I'm definitely going to try that castor oil, because I looked online and an indian girl said that castor oil has been a big hair-growing secret used in India for YEARS!!

Girl I am feeling your pain! Castor Oil is one of the concoctions suggested here that I have not tried...hey it's worth a shot. As for the vitamins...I have been on them for months and have not seen much difference. I am thinking about cutting into layers to give the semblance of thicker hair. I wanted to wait until my hair grew out first. I would say that you are definitely not harming your hair by treating it with TLC. Maybe it just takes some folks longer than others. Keep ur head up!

Girl I am feeling your pain! Castor Oil is one of the concoctions suggested here that I have not tried...hey it's worth a shot. As for the vitamins...I have been on them for months and have not seen much difference. I am thinking about cutting into layers to give the semblance of thicker hair. I wanted to wait until my hair grew out first. I would say that you are definitely not harming your hair by treating it with TLC. Maybe it just takes some folks longer than others. Keep ur head up!

OT: Would you PLEASE explain how this can work. This was what that human female said she was doing when she cut my BSL hair to SL a few years ago.:wallbash: WTH???

My hair is very fine as well, which is why i am dying to get some layers, to give the illusion of thick hair!

My hair is strong and healthy and doesn't break easily or anything like that, but it's just that I am feeling blah about it with it just hanging there (when it is straightened out). I have been taking MSM and biotin as well as using castor oil on my scalp since about April. It has made a world of difference.

Do you do regular protein treatments? (to keep your hair strong, not to make it thick; this will stop the breaking and shedding)

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel yah!
When I started to actually pay attention to growing my hair... I realized that as my hair got longer...it seemed as if it was getting thinner!!!
I though this was permenant.
I guess it was just my longer locks growing down and the not as longer layers still looking short = thinner looking hair than normal.
Yes, it is true that we thinnys have to do alot more sometimes in order to get longer lengths than some of our thick haired sistas, but I look at it this way...I'm gonna do what it takes, because I REALLY WANT IT.
Even if it means treating my hair like hand spun silk or paper mache'.
That's the cards we've been dealt and I'm playing the game until I get all chips!!! U can do it!!! HHG.

My hair is very fine as well, which is why i am dying to get some layers, to give the illusion of thick hair!

My hair is strong and healthy and doesn't break easily or anything like that, but it's just that I am geeling blah about it with it just hanging there (when it is straightened out). I have been taking MSM and biotin as well as using castor oil on my scalp since about April. It has made a world of difference.

Do you do regular protein treatments? (to keep your hair strong, not to make it thick; this will stop the breaking and shedding)
Hi BB, what type of protein treatments do you use?

Hi BB, what type of protein treatments do you use?

Aphogee; I have the intense one (in the square bottle with the purple writing) for serious issues (hadn't had any in a while thank goodness) and I also have the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, which is milder.

I understand your pain too (I have super fine hair- even when I go overboard with weaves and braids to achieve the thicher hair look, it still looks thin) but more recently I have learnt to love my hair. It took some time but now, my slow growing fine hair is the object of my affection now.

There are some advantages such as stretching etc, but I find that I personally like it this way NOW. Its all I know so what I can deal with.

I hope you can find a way to thicken up your tresses, I can only recommend protein treatments because that is the only thing that I know that can incorporate itself into your hair strands.

HTH

My hair is strong and healthy and doesn't break easily or anything like that, but it's just that I am feeling blah about it with it just hanging there (when it is straightened out). I have been taking MSM and biotin as well as using castor oil on my scalp since about April. It has made a world of difference.

Well, I don't do protein treatments regularly...actually I haven't done one in a LONG time! But that's only because my stylist usually does a protein treatment in my hair after each relaxer touch-up, and any other time she feels like it so I have noticed... :look: LOL! :lol:

I don't want to OVER-do it with the protein, because my fine hair can't take too much protein. I remember a couple of years back when I first starting out on my hair care journey here on the LHCF, I mistakenly put in Nexxus Emergencee in my hair and then two weeks later put in Nexxus Keraphix in my hair. EEkk! My hair was shedding like crazy! It wasn't until I got more knowledge in the board that I realized that TOO much protein will break the hair off.

But I think I'll do a light protein treatment like Nexxus keraphix pretty soon, since I've been shedding quite a bit lately. I think this colder air is starting to take a toll. I hate winter... :ohwell:

Back