Typical Rollerset breakage

Songbirdb

On an average, its really really rare that I see any breakage at all, but when I rollerset I always see like 5-10 broken hairs on the rollers or on the metal clips. Is this normal or should I stop roller setting all together? I hate breakage and get nervous even if I see one strand.

They could be shed hairs. Are they long pieces with the little white bulb on the end or shorter pieces? And 5-10 hairs is not a lot. I read in an article that hair is supposed to shed 60-100 hairs a day. I think that's true for other people. :look: But not us. But even then 5-10 hairs is not a lot. I could see if you had a ball of hair when you were done or something. Hair is going to shed regardless. It's just a part of the normal growth cycle.

no it wasnt shed hairs, these were str8 up broken pieces from the ends. i guess thats why im sp conerned cuz i'm not used to seeing that. is that normal as well?

no it wasnt shed hairs, these were str8 up broken pieces from the ends. i guess thats why im sp conerned cuz i'm not used to seeing that. is that normal as well?

Hmmm... Breakage isn't normal. 5-10 hairs isn't that much though. I wouldn't worry about it. If it was a lot of breakage I would be concerned. But keep your eye on it. It could just be from the manipulation. What kind of comb are you using? Does your hair tangle? Also, how often do you roller set?

Hmmm... Breakage isn't normal. 5-10 hairs isn't that much though. I wouldn't worry about it. If it was a lot of breakage I would be concerned. But keep your eye on it. It could just be from the manipulation. What kind of comb are you using? Does your hair tangle? Also, how often do you roller set?

I'm using the rat tail comb, but I don't comb all the way thru so I'm not seeing the breakage on the comb at all. It's on those metal clips so I think my hair is getting snagged on those. I'm gonna chillout on rs for a while. I just learned how to do it 2 days ago and I've done it everyday since. my hair doesn't tangle at all. I have a real good DC and I haven't had any tangle issues.

I'm using the rat tail comb, but I don't comb all the way thru so I'm not seeing the breakage on the comb at all. It's on those metal clips so I think my hair is getting snagged on those. I'm gonna chillout on rs for a while. I just learned how to do it 2 days ago and I've done it everyday since. my hair doesn't tangle at all. I have a real good DC and I haven't had any tangle issues.

Hey, I'm under the dryer now and I had a good look at the metal clips I have. If your clips are like mine they have a very sharp edge :nono: and the hinge area also can attract and snag hair. So I decided to do this set with the giant coated bobby pins until I can find some better clips or buy some wire mesh rollers that use the plastic stick to hold it in place. Some ladies in the forum also like the snap on rollers.

I use the typical Snap-on rollers and I STILL see breakage as well. I'm trying to stretch/transition my hair and I've been switching from the blow dryer to doing more rollersets and when i took the rollers out,I was a little shocked to see all the shed hair wrapped around it.

I'm thinking its the manipulation of wrapping wet hair tightly around the roller and then having the heat shrink it back to normal size and it starts to snap from the tension. There is no real way to avoid it i think. :ohwell: As long as its not overly excessive and I do everything I can: deep condition, hard & soft protein treatments,moisturize, etc.

I'm also wondering if its breakage from me stretching my relaxer or just breakage from rollersetting period. I've never rollerset my hair before this much so i dont know how much shed hair would be there if i were to actually relax again.

I have come to the realization that I am a constant shedder - have been for many years. But at the same time, my growth is continuous.

As for metal clips - make sure you have the two prong clips with pocket in the middle. This will allow the clip to go all the way up into the roller which should prevent snags. I just learned this from Macherie's DVD - I had the wrong clips and was wondering why my roller weren't fitting properly and my hair would snag. TWO PRONG (when I say pocket) it's like little opening in the middle.

I use the typical Snap-on rollers and I STILL see breakage as well. I'm trying to stretch/transition my hair and I've been switching from the blow dryer to doing more rollersets and when i took the rollers out,I was a little shocked to see all the shed hair wrapped around it.

I'm thinking its the manipulation of wrapping wet hair tightly around the roller and then having the heat shrink it back to normal size and it starts to snap from the tension. There is no real way to avoid it i think. :ohwell: As long as its not overly excessive and I do everything I can: deep condition, hard & soft protein treatments,moisturize, etc.

I'm also wondering if its breakage from me stretching my relaxer or just breakage from rollersetting period. I've never rollerset my hair before this much so i dont know how much shed hair would be there if i were to actually relax again.

Good points, there are so many factors. I even was looking at the seam that some of the plastic magnetic rollers have which also is suspect. I've been using 35 degrees (cool warm) and I don't get that heat shrinkage pop noise (strands popping?) that I used to get at the beauty shops.

I did a 14 week stretch and it's defintely not for me. I saw severe breakage in the crown portion of my head. I will stick to a 12 week stretch.

I use the double prong clips with the pocket at the end also. What you do is when you go to take them out, hold onto the part that you sould press to open the clip- before you press down, take your other hand and run your pointer finger and thumb along the clip towards the other end of it, so that you're pushing your hair away from the part where you press down. I do that because sometimes, hair can get caught in that little pocket and rip when you go to pull the clip out. it's been working for me so far.

Also, if it's your ends that are breaking, you could put a little something extra onto your ends right before you put it around the roller.

Not combing through to the ends could be the problem. I would pull hard but make sure that the ends are smooth and that makes a differernce.

Just so I'm clear, are you ladies talking about clips like these?

4054cf72-65bf-d230-44d2-d8e89a691e1f.jpg

I see the two prongs and the "pocket".

I have the single prong ones like these:

4059a76f-65bf-d230-4a5b-0a63fecd40f1.jpg

Maybe I'll go out and get some double pronged ones....

i have been trying different techniques on my rollersets. I learned that I have to shea butter my whole head, then I detangle with my wide tooth comb, apply any other conditioners i'm putting in, detangle again, put evoo on my ends then comb through with a fine tooth comb, then wrap the hair around my magnetic rollers. this is what I did for the one I did last night. came out amazing. my ends were usually dry & tangled. but smooth like baby tail this time. and they were shiny.

another thing I learned the hard way is that i ALWAYS rollerset when its WET. . . so of course the hair is "stretchier", but as it dried it would pull kinda tight. . . so I started rolling it up, FIRM (so that it doesn't slip out), but not tight as to snap & pull as it dries. and if that doesn't work, try doing it tight when you first set it (and it's at its wettest), and then as it dries, loosen the rollers that feel a little tight.

oh and another thing, make sure u wrap your hair around the rollers with care, make sure it's in the "middle" of the roller, if u know what I mean. wouldn't want to snag wet hairs on the clip or the bottom of the roller clap or anything like that

see, don't let me get some real length on my head. . . see, I gave ya'll advance warning. . .:lachen:

Last edited:

Yep, those are the ones that I use. on Macherieamour's DVD, she said to use those so that they hold good and slide in and out easily

I have the single prong ones like these:

4059a76f-65bf-d230-4a5b-0a63fecd40f1.jpg

Just so you know, there are two types of double pronged clips out there. There are these ones http://theribbonspot.com/store/images/TRS-9098.jpg which are NOT the one you need. Okay I can't find a pic of the one with the 'pocket' but you'll see the difference. I had to go back to Sally's 3 times before I got the right ones. The one's w/o the pockets will TEAR your hair up!!

I would agree with this.

i have been trying different techniques on my rollersets. I learned that I have to shea butter my whole head, then I detangle with my wide tooth comb, apply any other conditioners i'm putting in, detangle again, put evoo on my ends then comb through with a fine tooth comb, then wrap the hair around my magnetic rollers. this is what I did for the one I did last night. came out amazing. my ends were usually dry & tangled. but smooth like baby tail this time. and they were shiny.

another thing I learned the hard way is that i ALWAYS rollerset when its WET. . . so of course the hair is "stretchier", but as it dried it would pull kinda tight. . . so I started rolling it up, FIRM (so that it doesn't slip out), but not tight as to snap & pull as it dries. and if that doesn't work, try doing it tight when you first set it (and it's at its wettest), and then as it dries, loosen the rollers that fill a little right.

oh and another thing, make sure u wrap your hair around the rollers with care, make sure it's in the "middle" of the roller, if u know what I mean. wouldn't want to snag wet hairs on the clip or the bottom of the roller clap or anything like that

see, don't let me get some real length on my head. . . see, I gave ya'll advance warning. . .:lachen:
I learned some things too in the middle of my rollersetting experience.

After washing my hair, I tried to keep it wet and then combed it out in sections to roll. BAD CHOICE. What I have to do is finger part my hair to create a mohawk then as my hair is drying (my hair has to be somewhat dry) finger part a section to put on the roller, comb it out with a wide tooth comb then a little tooth comb, THEN wet it with the spray bottle and put on the roller and roll. MY HAIR DOES NOT LIKE BEING COMBED WHILE WET! My hair told me this before and I forgot so she got mad and fought back!:lachen: HARD! When I finally remembered and did it, NO HAIRS WERE BROKEN OFF!

I learned some things too in the middle of my rollersetting experience.

After washing my hair, I tried to keep it wet and then combed it out in sections to roll. BAD CHOICE. What I have to do is finger part my hair to create a mohawk then as my hair is drying (my hair has to be somewhat dry) finger part a section to put on the roller, comb it out with a wide tooth comb then a little tooth comb, THEN wet it with the spray bottle and put on the roller and roll. MY HAIR DOES NOT LIKE BEING COMBED WHILE WET! My hair told me this before and I forgot so she got mad and fought back!:lachen: HARD! When I finally remembered and did it, NO HAIRS WERE BROKEN OFF!
:lachen:@ you trying to test her. she was NOT having it

You have received some good advice so far. I am taking notes because I was experiencing breakage from rollersetting aslo.

Also recently I have made some slight changes with my rollerset:

**** do a reverse rollerset, you do not need to roll as tightly
**** detangle really well
**** make sure hair, especially ends, are wet
**** wet each roller and comb, before I roll
**** tie a hair net or silk scarf as protective covering from dryer's heat
**** use roller caps on the top rollers, as further protective covering

I kid you not, I have done this twice and not one single broken hair.

Back