Type 4 Product Suggestions?

NikkiGirl

Hey Ladies,

So I need a little help. My son has type four hair. He usually keeps it cut low, but he tells me that he wants to grow it out some. I am okay with that. But I gave him some of my products and while they make my hair feel soft, they kind of just sit on the top of his hair. My hair is type three and I am bi-racial. I feel ashamed to say this. But I don't know what to put in his hair. It is so dry. So obviously I am not doing something right. I attached a pic of him. He's a cutie.

Attachments

• Tristans B-day and First Day of School 012.jpg
    Tristans B-day and First Day of School 012.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 73
Hmm products for boys
Maybe you could DC him once a week and introduce cowashing. Also when he gets out of the shower use a little oil to seal in moisture so it doesn't dry out so easily

For a boy I wouldn't use any super expensive conditioners. Maybe something like aussie moist 3 minute for a DC and something like suave or aussie moist for cowashing

Thanks Foxglove. Yeah, I don't want to use anything expensive, because he is the typical boy, he will either use way too much or not enough at all. I guess I could introduce him to co-washing. Right now he washes with creme of nature. But he is washing everyday. That is only because he is always out playing and when he comes in, he really SHOULD wash his hair. LOL.

i agree especially if he's washing daily, get him a good cheapie co-wash & and use some as a leave-in:

aussie moist, tressemme, garnier fructis, suave professionals, trader joe's ...

Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 get it at Sallys. It'll do the trick, plus the bottle isn't all girly.
He is a cutie.

Don't feel ashamed to ask...that's what we are here for.

Hey Ladies,

So I need a little help. My son has type four hair. He usually keeps it cut low, but he tells me that he wants to grow it out some. I am okay with that. But I gave him some of my products and while they make my hair feel soft, they kind of just sit on the top of his hair. My hair is type three and I am bi-racial. I feel ashamed to say this. But I don't know what to put in his hair. It is so dry. So obviously I am not doing something right. I attached a pic of him. He's a cutie.

just so ya know bi-racial people also have type 4 hair, this is a pet peeve of mine that people seem think that all interracial people have type 1,2,or 3 hair. But i know you meant no harm,your son is a cutie :) . I just purchased some indentity hair and skin products and alot of type 4's are raving about these products keeping their hair soft:
nature's silk hair mist and hair lotion
afroveda products are good as are kbb( hair milk or nectar) if you not concerned about doing mail order. i saw someone mentioned hawaiian silky 14 in 1 and maybe you could seal with some oil or butter like olive,coconut, or or shea.
Don't feel ashamed about asking questions we're here to help you *hugs*.

Last edited:
just so ya know bi-racial people also have type 4 hair.....your son is a cutie.

Thanks, I do know that. One of my sisters is bi-racial and has type four. I have another sister who I would consider either a type 2 or maybe very soft three, but all of our hair is so different. It can be very hard just to figure out what products to use. Its is not an exact science with anyone's hair on typing and I have never been that good with hair to begin with. But I am definitely trying. I did tell him that if he wants to grow out his hair, he will have to take better care of it. He doesn't want long hair, just like a small fro is what he is telling me.

Hair One makes a great cleansing conditioner (sulfate-free). I'm a 4 and I sometimes use it without a conditioner. Sounds crazy, but it makes my hair really soft and I don't have any problems when I do that.

BTW, he is such a cutie!

Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 get it at Sallys. It'll do the trick, plus the bottle isn't all girly.
He is a cutie.

Don't feel ashamed to ask...that's what we are here for.

Yes, ^^ :up: that or S Curl. I hope he's not too proud to sleep in a plastic cap coz he'll need that for the product to penetrate his strands. In the AM, his hair will be a joy to work with.

If he applies it to damp hair it will dry up hard, but he should apply again once his hair dries, and then when he baggies at night, he'll have nice soft hair the next day and won't have to apply again till washday. When his hair grows long enough to braid, it will help to plait it every night so it doesn't tangle and get knots. So plait and baggy at night, comb out soft beautiful hair in the AM. :yep:

Yes, ^^ :up: that or S Curl. I hope he's not too proud to sleep in a plastic cap coz he'll need that for the product to penetrate his strands. In the AM, his hair will be a joy to work with.

If he applies it to damp hair it will dry up hard, but he should apply again once his hair dries, and then when he baggies at night, he'll have nice soft hair the next day and won't have to apply again till washday. When his hair grows long enough to braid, it will help to plait it every night so it doesn't tangle and get knots. So plait and baggy at night, comb out soft beautiful hair in the AM. :yep:

I did have a hard time before getting him to sleep in a cap. He told me it made his hair itch. I think it was this horrible grease I was putting in his hair cause I didn't know any better. :perplexed

I did have a hard time before getting him to sleep in a cap. He told me it made his hair itch. I think it was this horrible grease I was putting in his hair cause I didn't know any better. :perplexed

I tend to itch when products get on my scalp but I don't remember having an issue with S Curl. Sleeping with the cap will not only protect your pillow cases, but also make him go for days without needing to apply anymore.

I also suggest Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1. It works well for my stepdaughter, who has Type 4 hair.
Your son is a cutie, btw.

Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier would be great for his hair. I use that in my kids hair and it makes their hair very soft and helps with detangling.

Back