Two quick questions about moisturizers and hair texture

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Okay, I just found out that oil doesn't moisturize (what the...?!) So what are some good moisturizers that I can get from Walmart or Walgreens? Also, I have 4a or 4b relaxed hair, how do I get it all cute and curly? Oh yeah, what is texlaxed? Okay that was three questions. Sorry ;)

The best moisturizer from Walmart is BB Castor Oil Moisturizer (pink and white bottle). It's only $2.08. :yep:

The easiest way for me to get a curly look on relaxed hair is a bantu knot set. I think there are some tutorials around here somewhere.

Texlaxed is relaxing your hair not all the way, maybe 75% straight, so you still have some wave pattern left.

:)

Another good option that many try is to use leave-in conditioner as a moisturizer...NTM (Nuetrogena Triple Moisture) Silk toch leave-in
ORS oilve oil is also very good..although it says Oilve oil it is a moisturizer
hth!!

Thanks ladies! Anyone else? Any more options for moisturizers? I live in a small town, so they may not have a lot of this stuff. I need as many options as I can get. TIA!!

i really like ORS Olive Oil Cream for a moisturizer--u can get it at walgreens.
when i wear my hair in a bun etc.. i like to use the ORS and then seal it w/ Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil grease (lightly)---that is also at walgreens.

for cute and curly--i like rollersets---i tried batu knots, but i like it better on longer hair.

Thank you! I used to use ORS Olive Oil on my daughters hair, and it made her hair so gorgeous. But, I always have to try new things. I can never stick with one thing! I guess I'll have to go back, huh? :)

I like the ORS olive oil also but I prefer the ORS carrot oil. Another one I have revisited lately that I love is called Carribean Creme by Black & Sassy. Cost about $3 and it works wonders for all of the textures in my home ;)

Thanks chicas :) Guyaneek, that Caribbean Creme sounds great, nice and exotic :) Can I get some from Walgreens or Walmart? I thought S-Curl was used for Jheri curls. Does it make your hair all drippy like Soul Glo in Coming To America? LOL! --singing-- "Just let your SOOOUUUL glow!"

I JUST got some S-Curl at Target last night on Clearance (less than 3 dollars!) Today, my newgrowth was A LOT softer. I didn't find that it was drippy.

Welcome, Tiffers!

As Baglady said, bantu knots will give a curly look on relaxed hair. Check SouthernGirl's album for a tutorial. Rollersets work very well for relaxed hair. Check Macherieamour's blog for great instructions.

My hair is texlaxed meaning I apply and smooth the relaxer on my new growth for 10 minutes only. This keeps my hair strong and helps me keep some of my texture, so my hair is not bone straight. Some of the ladies who texlax leave it in only 5 minutes, some a little more.

Flawdagator said:
I JUST got some S-Curl at Target last night on Clearance (less than 3 dollars!) Today, my newgrowth was A LOT softer. I didn't find that it was drippy.

Wow, another hair item on clearance at Target?:(

I love ORS moisturizing hair lotion (in the bottle). I also recently purchased Herbal Essences break's over and it also softens my hair while wet. To get the curly look on my relaxed hair...I wet my hair(by shampooing or just water bottle) and then put the HE break's over lotion all over and then twist or braid my hair. After it's dry I apply some ORS moist. lotion all over including the ends and then I seal with either EVOO or sweet almond oil.

I purchased ORS moist. lotion from CVS pharmacy for about $4. and change and the Herbal Essences break's over was on sale at Walgreens for a couple of dollars. THese two for me have worked wonders on my hair!!:) I am sure u can find them at walmart and other places too.

S.O.S. said:
Can someone post a pic of the ORS Olive Oil? is it the one in the jar or bottle?

311023.jpg
This is the one Ive been using for a few days now. I even use it when Im wearing my hair down, and believe it or not it does not weigh it down nor does my hair feel heavy when using it. Alot of ladies like this one including Sistaslick, Kinikakes, and a few others. The one I have has mineral oil but supposedly theres also one just like this one w/o mineral oil.:)

When i was relaxed i used to do bantu not sets on my hair and it would last for a few days i liked this because it gave me a change..other than using rollers all the time

luv04 said:
When i was relaxed i used to do bantu not sets on my hair and it would last for a few days i liked this because it gave me a change..other than using rollers all the time

this is why I like twist and braid outs on my relaxed hair.. it gives me a great alternative and a change from the usual time consuming rollersets.

Whoa... I'm getting information overload here :D Isis, this texlaxed thing sounds really interesting. How often do you relax? How do you transition from relaxed to texlaxed? InnerSoul, is HE Break's Over a serum? I'm gonna have to use that technique! I did bantu knots on my hair last night, I'm still waiting for them to dry. I CAN'T WAIT to take them down, I'm sooo excited to see the results!

tiffers said:
Whoa... I'm getting information overload here :D Isis, this texlaxed thing sounds really interesting. How often do you relax? How do you transition from relaxed to texlaxed? InnerSoul, is HE Break's Over a serum? I'm gonna have to use that technique! I did bantu knots on my hair last night, I'm still waiting for them to dry. I CAN'T WAIT to take them down, I'm sooo excited to see the results!

HE break's over is a creamy lotion in a periwinkle blue bottle! I don't do well with serums. The only serum I have is CHi silk infusion and I pour it into my UBH dew spray moisturizer and mix it and spray and my hair likes it that way.

Last edited:
Oh, okay. Thanks! I'm gonna have to get that today. Goodness, I think I may have to go to a PJ prevention program! :D I have bought so many things since coming here, I may have to refinance my house ;)

InnerSoul said:
I love ORS moisturizing hair lotion (in the bottle). I also recently purchased Herbal Essences break's over and it also softens my hair while wet. To get the curly look on my relaxed hair...I wet my hair(by shampooing or just water bottle) and then put the HE break's over lotion all over and then twist or braid my hair. After it's dry I apply some ORS moist. lotion all over including the ends and then I seal with either EVOO or sweet almond oil.

I purchased ORS moist. lotion from CVS pharmacy for about $4. and change and the Herbal Essences break's over was on sale at Walgreens for a couple of dollars. THese two for me have worked wonders on my hair!!:) I am sure u can find them at walmart and other places too.

I love Herbal Essences Break's Over also. It moisturizes like Hello Hydration without making it feel mushy.

Castor oil moisturizes better than anything I know....not the B&B kind (not saying that it doesn't work) but the real stuff. My hair has did a complete 360 since I started using it....I use to suffer from split ends but not anymore...Its the BEST!

Back