Twists and Twistouts Help!

camellia

Okay, yesterday attempted my very first twistout. I sprayed my hair with a little Luxxtress and then used a very light coating of avocado butter. I made two strand twists, about 10 on each side of my head and let them dry.

My twists were pitiful, really sloppy and they kept unraveling.:perplexed

Well when they had dried I took them out and the ends were so frizzy and tangled looking. My husband loved it. He kept saying "Babe, your hair is so BIG and CURLY!" But I was not pleased. It was really poofy and frizzy.

So help me out, girls. What are your secrets for shiny, sexy, neat twists and twistouts? I've seen so many pretty twists in Fotkis but mine was just sad.:lol: Should I have used gel? Started higher up on my head? Please help!

Don't feel bad, learning twists took me a bit of time cause I had to find what worked for me. What I do is start the twist like a braid (I know, cheating)for about 1/2 inch, but it helps keep the hair neat at the scalp. You may need to use more product because your texture is looser....maybe a gel added to what you are using. I use ORS lock & twist gel mixed with leave-in but I think any gel will do. Also when you twist, try to twist tightly.....as you twist down pull a little before you next.... uh.... twist movement (I guess?). Hope I'm didn't confuse you :look:

Then when you get to the end, put extra gel and do a tiny, regular braid. My cousin has hair similar to yours and when I did twists for her, this kept it from unraveling. HTH :)

Thanks.

I know I didn't twist tight enough. I will definately try a little braid at the bottom to keep the twists from falling out. I don't like to use gel because it makes my hair so hard and it's a pain to wash out, but I'm going to try again.

I washed my hair this morning and put it up in my regular bun. I just didn't have time to fool with it today. How long does it typically take to twist all of your hair? And how long to dry?

Thanks for answering!:)

Try putting some rubberbands or something on the end to keep them from unraveling. Braiding the ends may not give you the results you want. Also you may want to use diluted detting lotion instead of hair butter or conditioner. When I tried it with conditioner my twists flopped. It was too heavy. Also make sure you hair is 100% DRY when you take them aloose otherwise it will look a hot mess.

No prob!

If you mix the gel with your leave-in/oil (1:1), it when you put it on it shouldn't be as hard. It takes me about 2 1/2 hours still...I'm still slow. The first time I twisted it took 4 hours:eek: . And for my hair to dry...if I do the twists before I go to bed, they'll be mostly dry by the morning. So I just sit under a bonnet drier for about an hour then dry overnight so then they are completely dry.

I would suggest--that you twist your twist into bantu knots and secure the ends with a bobby pin. I like this effect much better than when I just twist and set my twist on a roller. Since discovering how much sexier my set turns out using bantu knots I'm hooked.

But this will take some time to perfect your twist outs. And in my opinion it is equally important to keep your ends wet similiar to a rollerset-other wise your ends will look a mess.

Just keep on till you get it right

:look: How do you make bantu knots?

I've really never done any hairstyles at all before. My normal "style" is a bun or two braids. About twice a year I flat iron. I stalk the fotkis to get ideas but this is my first time attempting to really do something with my hair.

for a quick twist out, I use oyin whipped pudding. It's really light, and it smells like chocolate, and almonds. I do it on damp hair. You and I have totally different texture. What I would do for you, you have hair like my neice. On damp hair. I do sections, putting a little whipped pudding in my hands, rubbing them together. then I rub my hands on her hair, and brush her hair to distribute. I usually put a little dab on the ends. Then I twist it, and put an ouchless rubberband on the end, tucking the end under so there's a tiny curl when you take take out the twist. I do this w/ about 20-30 medium sized twists. This chick has hair past her butt, so it takes about 45 min to 1 hr. Once dry, I unravel carefully from the bottom up, and finger seperate and style when finished. It's soft,and smells good for days. I twist it back up at night, w/ no additional product, just water mist, retwist, and wrap w/ satin scarf. It looks great! No frizz, no puffiness. Good luck to you

Thank you all so much!

I'm very late to the table in learning about hair. Just about every good, I've learned since I started lurking here. :)

DDtexlaxd,
Thank you, girl! On the few occasions I wear my hair down like that I wash it and then braid it in two braids and take them out when it's dry.

I really envy some of the gorgeous twists I see in these albums. So I'll just keep trying. That whipped pudding is going on my "To Buy" list.

Back