Twisting from the root

Renewed1

Hi Ladies,

Everytime I try to twist my hair the roots unravel while the remaining of the hair stay in tact. I used every product to keep this from happening. I don't know why this is happening .

How do you keep your roots from unraveling?

Nonie usually suggests taking the two strands that you will twist, twist them in opposite directions and then twist them together, like how you do for Senegalese twists.

I asked this question months ago, so bumping to help you get some answers.

Not sure what your regi is. What are you doing to your hair before you twist it?

My last set of twists seemed to have come out better. First I have been working on my porosity issues. I also wait to apply anything to my hair until it is 50% dry. I applied Aloe Vera, a leave in and then Taliaah Waajids lock it up. And I have been practicing twisting my hair based on what Nonie recommends - twist both strands in 1 direction and then twist the strands together in the other direction (don't explain it as well as Nonie - lol).

My twists aren't unraveling as much.

But hopefully some better answers will come.

Yea, Splinta24 posted a video with what she calls 1/2 braid, 1/2 twist.

She rambles a bit when she talks. So much like me which is why I like her. Go
check her out on YouTube, lol.

The half braid method works at preventing unraveling, but looks off, IMO. Twisting then twirling in opposite direction works well for me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Braiding the root first always secures them for me and helps them to last a lot longer. Also, clipping the roots while your hair is damp and letting it dry that way will help tighten them.

bumping for you OP, as I would like to know also. DD is natural and for her twists, I braid the root before twisting. Please ladies, has nonie a video of the method you were talking about?

Or it just might not stay because of the texture of your hair. At my nape (my kitchen) and at my ears, my hair never stays braided or twisted in individuals because it is just really soft and always unravels.

bumping for you OP, as I would like to know also. DD is natural and for her twists, I braid the root before twisting. Please ladies, has nonie a video of the method you were talking about?

Sorry paradise79 I didn't know you'd asked.

I tried to create a video that showed the method I use done slowly as well as drew this diagram to demonstrate:
myway-vi.jpg

...but I think Mook's Hair demonstrates it better on her video showing how to do Kinky Twists. If you ignore the additional hair and just pay attention to what she's doing, twisting the single strands clockwise then crossing over anticlockwise, that's basically it.
Mook's Hair's Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5EC_5XPEU

Both videos above show the method done slowly, which can be very daunting when you consider you have a whole head to do. But speed does develop with time so that it's much quicker to do them than shown in those videos (Real time).

Back