Twisting causes rapid growth?

dyh080

I subscribe to madame walker's newsletter and just received an email advocating wearing hair in twists. It said that if you wear your hair in twists it causes rapid hair growth because our hair natural grows twisted and in sprials.
Disclosure: they were also advertising a new twisting product...Hapi Locs.
But, was just wondering if any of you have experienced a faster growth( not retention) rate while wearing twists as opposed to other protective styles?

twisting will not create a faster growth rate. different types of braiding do help with retention. only your diet, nutrients, and health contribute to your growth rate.

Nope. Nothing causes rapid growth for me or anyone in my family. My hair grows coz I eat well, exercise pretty regularly, take vitamins (for overall health, I don't take anything hair specific) and I've learned over the years how to retain length.

Now where can I sign up for this Mme Walker's newsletter? :)

It probably seems like it does because it is one of the best ways to retain your growth. I have always gotten great growth/retention when in twists (although they can wreak havoc on your ends).

I tell you what, I always retain my growth better in kinky twists or senegalese twists than when I have cornrows or box braids. But since it doesn't make a difference for my sister (as long as her hair is protected), I won't second this theory.

Why do people think that doing something -anything- to your strands of hair (hair that has already grown OUT from your scalp... it's on the OUTSIDE of your body now) will make your hair grow -from your scalp... from the INSIDE of your head - faster? Why? Why? Come on now people.

Why do people think that doing something -anything- to your strands of hair (hair that has already grown OUT from your scalp... it's on the OUTSIDE of your body now) will make your hair grow -from your scalp... from the INSIDE of your head - faster? Why? Why? Come on now people.

They don't just want you to twist your hair- you have to buy the product Hapi Locs for it to really work. :lachen:

A while ago there was a member of NP.com who grew her hair from SL to MBL in a year. I believe she left b/c of negativity toward her. Anyway, she said her hair grew quickly because she kept her hair braided (not tight but firmly) which caused tension on the hair resulting in the body accommodating for the tension so that the hair grows faster than it normally does to relieve the stress on the body. I think she had an album. Maybe I can find it.

Nope...

My hair has always grown the same...its just the twisting will let you retain more...I surely have experienced this with twists. But like another poster said...you ahve to baby your ends because the hair grazing across your clothing can tear up your ends so I seal them frequently with leave-in and oil...

Hair growth rate is genetically determined.....Nutrition/vitamins/health/growth aids play a small role....and even that does not help some people have dramatically MORE hair growth....

Nope. Nothing causes rapid growth for me or anyone in my family. My hair grows coz I eat well, exercise pretty regularly, take vitamins (for overall health, I don't take anything hair specific) and I've learned over the years how to retain length.

Now where can I sign up for this Mme Walker's newsletter? :)

It's at madamewalker.net. Sorry, it wasn't a newsletter but "tips".
You can sign up to receive their "tips".

Just relaying the info I received and asking a question.

"Rapid growth"? Seen growth and retention, it is a protective style other than that it is no different than any other style that helps with growing your hair.

The term rapid growth is misleading.

"Rapid growth"? Seen growth and retention, it is a protective style other than that it is no different than any other style that helps with growing your hair.

The term rapid growth is misleading.

Yep, Mscocoface, I agree.
Just seeing what others thought.

Just relaying the info I received and asking a question.

My apologies, it was absolutely not my intention to seem like I was on the attack or anything. I just see so many myths being perpetuated on the threads...:wallbash::wallbash: and the idea that manipulating your hair will make it grow faster is so far out of the realm of common sense that it just had to be said.

A while ago there was a member of NP.com who grew her hair from SL to MBL in a year. I believe she left b/c of negativity toward her. Anyway, she said her hair grew quickly because she kept her hair braided (not tight but firmly) which caused tension on the hair resulting in the body accommodating for the tension so that the hair grows faster than it normally does to relieve the stress on the body. I think she had an album. Maybe I can find it.

I read this theory about ten years ago the book "No Lye" by Tulani Kinard. I think she mentioned wearing gems and other beads at the end of braids or twists and this pull on the scalp stimulates growth.

If you think about however this means that anyone who gets braid extensions or salon cornrows, etc., or even some types of weaves have a lot of tension on their scalps and this actually is more likely to promote hair breakage and even loss at the root - not miracle hair growth. Kinard was talking about softer tension. All the same I don't buy it. You can't rush growth - all you can do is maintain it when it comes in.

It's at madamewalker.net. Sorry, it wasn't a newsletter but "tips".
You can sign up to receive their "tips".

@dyh080, thank you. :)

Back