Twist Out Question

byrdmail

I did my first twist out and the results are ok but not great. I twisted them like box braids. I am relaxed and my hair is about an two inches below my shoulder. For those who use this method, how do you keep the twist from untwisting when you are done and move on to the next twist? I put perm rods on the end but they spun around and some of my ends are going every which way. Also, what do you do at night to keep from smashing them when you sleep? thanks.

byrdmail said:
I did my first twist out and the results are ok but not great. I twisted them like box braids. I am relaxed and my hair is about an two inches below my shoulder. For those who use this method, how do you keep the twist from untwisting when you are done and move on to the next twist? I put perm rods on the end but they spun around and some of my ends are going every which way. Also, what do you do at night to keep from smashing them when you sleep? thanks.
I usually do twistout braids instead of individuals box plaits. However, I would bantu knot the ends or braid the ends.

Its okay if they are smashed, it doesn't effect the outcome.

consider bantu knotting each of them, it will give you a curlier result over all.... :yep:

When I do twistouts I probably do like 6 to 8 braids and I use a little lotta body setting lotion. This usually holds the twistout together for me and it doesn't unravels. If I put a perm rod of the end I probably wrap it once. Then I tie it back with a head scarf or hair bonnet on.

For better twistout results I have found that flat twisting makes for a longer lasting set. I would also say that a setting lotion or creamy leave-in would help with the hold if you want to do individuals.

Thanks for all of the suggestions ladies. I will give the twist out style another try this week. I guess practice makes perfect. Since these don't look great, I'll wear them up in a loose pony tomorrow.

Back