Twist out methods

msjones

Does anyone have pics in their fotkis/video tutorials on how to twist the hair and what products to use in order for relaxed hair to turn out nicely messy and not standing on end?

I twist the entire head, but I clamp (with small clasps) all the twists down at the root to get more hang. I don't use too much product because I like them to move, but I use a leave in I spray all over my wet hair, add alittle carol's daughter hair butter, and a little smige of castor oil after i finish twisting. I also sit under the dryer so I get a frizzless twist out(natural). If you're relaxed you have to make sure it's completely dry when you take out the twists.

I have pictures of twist outs in my fotki, but not alot of description of how I did them:ohwell:.

When I was relaxed and got twistouts at the salon my hairdresser would do 2 strand flat twists going back (like cornrows but with 2 strands instead of 3) on wet hair and put a rod on the end of each one. She would use setting lotion. Then I'd sit under the dryer until I was dry. Some people sleep on their twists overnight or leave them in for a few days so they don't have to sit under the dryer. It's very important that you don't unravel the twists until they're FULLY dry or it won't look right. Once its dry, unravel your twists and fluff it out a little bit to get rid of the parts and you're good to go. I would sleep with a bonnet and it would last a week or two.

Does anyone have pics in their fotkis/video tutorials on how to twist the hair and what products to use in order for relaxed hair to turn out nicely messy and not standing on end?

I am relaxed and have pics of a braid out. I airdried my hair for two days, did four big cornrows, and this is what they looked like:

http://public.fotki.com/Kiesha8185/protectivestylebraidout/dsc06153.html

Here are also some tips I've learned:

1. You get tighter curls, and less "drop", with wet hair. So I do twists outs and/or braidouts on dry hair (for me, airdried hair) only. This preserves some sort of length and prevents me from looking like a mushroom head lol
2. The bigger the braid, the better the wave! The downside to this, are that your edges (if you have a lot of new growth) must be covered. So add a head scarf to dress up the style, and cover your hairline.
3. Use a little extra moisturizer that you would normally use to moisturize your hair as if you were wearing it straight. I put as much moisturizer to make my hair "damp" with the moisturizer. By morning, your hair would soak it up, you wouldn't have to worry about softness or shine.
4. If you use a roller on the ends, your hair would look shorter. I prefer to use cut-up stockings (pantyhose) by cutting the leg part into little scrunchies. These are more gentle on my hair than scrunchies. I just let the length of my hair "hang".
5. Try to make the parts in an angle so that when unloose the braid and finger comb your hair, the waves should drop and cover the parts.
6. For some reason, cornrows come out better than plaits (for me).

HTH

Back